Need help with Iron Shafts

Deadsquiggles

Shank Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Handicap
So I’ve been noticing that in any winds above a slight breeze, my irons balloon, especially from 7i down. I currently have KBS Tour 90s in Stiff installed. So I’d love to find something a little lower spin and lower launch such as KBS Tour but I wanted to ask and see what everyone else might recommend from any other brand. I was looking around last night internet shopping and I’m realizing that it can be tough to find some iron shafts in a .370 tip size.

I know everyone will say to try something in store but no store around has more than just a few KBS shafts and almost no other brands which is how I ended up with Tour 90s which really are too light and soft for me. I also fight a hook with my irons and overall control and I’m wondering if a heavier shaft might help with that. This will most likely be a crapshoot for me. Thanks

So I’ve been noticing that in any winds above a slight breeze, my irons balloon, especially from 7i down. I currently have KBS Tour 90s in Stiff installed. So I’d love to find something a little lower spin and lower launch such as KBS Tour but I wanted to ask and see what everyone else might recommend from any other brand. I was looking around last night internet shopping and I’m realizing that it can be tough to find some iron shafts in a .370 tip size.

I know everyone will say to try something in store but no store around has more than just a few KBS shafts and almost no other brands which is how I ended up with Tour 90s which really are too light and soft for me. I also fight a hook with my irons and overall control and I’m wondering if a heavier shaft might help with that. This will most likely be a crapshoot for me. Thanks

a heavier shaft will likely help you in all areas, the Tour 90s are very high launching and most everything else will be lower

when I had the Tour 90 in the wilson c200 set, I used a matrix program f15 85 in the short irons for a similar weight with a slightly lower launch

my c300 forged came with some fujikura 78 and those were too light and loosey goosey all over the place so I put in a set of px flighted

I much preferred the KBS Tours over the Tour 90's for that very reason. The Tour 90's ballooned out for me like nothing else.

The KBS Tours and the DG S300 shafts will be about 30g heavier than what you have now. KBS C-Tapers will be almost 40g heavier in a parallel tip, and much more expensive then the other two options.

Some of the heavier low launch options in .370 Parallel... Prices are from Golfworks and just for comparison. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

Projext X Rifle 6.0 $40/shaft
KBS Tour $27/shaft
KBS C-Taper $37/shaft
TT DG S300 $23/shaft
Nippon Tour Pro Modus 3 $37/shaft

FWIW, I've had ZERO issues putting in .355 tipped shafts with brass shims into .370 heads, going on 4 years now. That can open up more options, so I'm just going to go wide open.

I'd give the True Temper DG 105 a try. Great shaft that is pretty available and produces a great flight for a wide range of golfers and its a little heavier than your current setup. Project X PXi is a fun option as well at a little heavier weight. Maybe C-Taper Lites would be something to consider as well, but I don't have experience with those.

I completely forgot about Golfworks. Out of those options listed, would the KBS Tours be the closest to a mid launch mid spin shaft? I don’t necessarily need/want low launching.

I completely forgot about Golfworks. Out of those options listed, would the KBS Tours be the closest to a mid launch mid spin shaft? I don’t necessarily need/want low launching.

It's pretty darn close, maybe a little mid-low on the spin aspect. In your M4s, I really think something like a C Taper Lite or DG 105/DG Pro would be really solid.

Why not try 1 shaft in the 7i and see how you like first before you change over the entire set.
Little more expensive however you have the satisfaction of knowing what really works for you.

Try Will at Peoples Golf in North Carolina, He'll take care of you.

Yeah it would definitely be a mid/mid shaft.

Or try and find some PX LZ 105 pulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 7 iron TT elevate shaft in .370 I can send you. It is a 1/2" longer than a standard 7 length with a Z cord midsize grip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you want to try it PM me and I will send it to you free of charge. It is 120 gram shaft

Did the shaft get there Squiggles?

I have some Dynamic Gold S300 and KBS Tour Stiffs that I'd be happy to pull and make you a deal on if you're interested. Let me know.

I’m very curious to hear how these work for you as your story sounds identical to what I’m thinking also. Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the shaft get there Squiggles?
Yeah it actually showed up Monday. Haven’t had time to get it installed though. Thanks man.
I have some Dynamic Gold S300 and KBS Tour Stiffs that I'd be happy to pull and make you a deal on if you're interested. Let me know.
Depending on how my trial run with the elevate goes, I may take you up on that. Are they .370”?

Yeah it actually showed up Monday. Haven’t had time to get it installed though. Thanks man.

Depending on how my trial run with the elevate goes, I may take you up on that. Are they .370”?

Yes, both sets.

I'm going to opposite way after playing DG S300's for over 10 seasons. I had a mini fitting session the other day and my spin was really low with 919 Forged and I210's using DG S300's. He changed the I210's to AWT 2.0's and I saw an increase in spin, distance, and better dispersion. I didn't realize how important fitting for a shaft is until then...

So I ended up purchasing some KBS Tours raw and I tipped them for the 6.0 stiffness per KBS’s instructions and then butt cut them to play standard length in M4 Irons. I sent them off yesterday to get the heads installed but I didn’t think about swing weight. I intend on putting on standard Lamkin Crosslines when the grips come in and my clubs come back. What should I expect for swing weight?

One rough estimate is +1 sw for every 10 grams shaft weight. If you got the raw blanks you will probably need some tip weights to get them all the same swingweight. Most likely I'm guessing 2 more points, but your grips may change that.

Probably something freeing to do is just hit them after they come back. If they need adjusting you can do that later. Enjoy your irons and hit some good shots.

Besides lead tape, how easy is it to adjust swing weight once the heads are installed?

Lead tape is the easiest to go up. More expensive would be to put lead powder or tungsten through the grip down the shaft and plug it.

To go down in Swingweight anything to help back weight it.

So I called the shop that’ll be doing the work. He confirmed that he has the same grips I’m gonna use and swing weighting everything is included in the price of epoxying the heads. He’ll weight them to D2 no issue.

Nice!!

So I picked up my irons today. Feel like I overpaid at $160 to get 6 shafts installed when I did all the shaft prep work and pulled the heads but anyway. Having the KBS Tours installed, cut to a 6.0 per KBS’s instructions, they feel much more solid in my hands compared to the Tour 90s were. And holding my 5 Iron in one hand and 4 Iron (which still has a Tour 90 installed) and the 4 Iron is so much more head heavy, and the shaft itself in the 4 Iron feels so whippet and soft. I feel like the Tours will be a much better fit for me.

Back