Old vs New MacGregor VIP Vs Ben Hogan PTXto

ackman13

Reaction score
Handicap
I had an interesting experience today. I found a set of MacGregor VIP irons on eBay. They had a stiff velocity frequency matched shafts. I used to have a set of VIP’s in my younger days - that were around 1969 = 1970 vintage. These were the clubs I played when I had 6 handicap. I played my set until some of the faces began getting smooth. These clubs are in great shape. They are 1” longer than standard = which is 1/2” longer than my Hogan PTX irons. Now at 63 years old I have regular flex graphite shaft in my irons. So, I was interested to compare the two iron sets.

The thing that concerned me were the lofts. The lofts were a lot weaker on the MacGregor. I decided to test the 8 irons. The chart I found had the VIP 8 iron loft 43 degrees. My Hogan 8 iron is 37 degrees. I found some disagreement on how much distance I would lose for each degree more. The consensus seemed to be 2 yards per each degree. So, I was off to the PGA Superstore to do the test.

After I warmed up I was hitting my Hogan 8 right around 145 yards. The VIPs were slightly less at 139 to 141 yards. So, the theory of yards per degree of loft went out the door. The strange twist to this test was that when I hit the ball flush (which I did three times) I hit it 145 yards. I hit the VIPs very solid. Obviously, I need to do more testing with all the irons. But I was surprised by the performance and feel. Now, I know why I used to love those irons. One more thought about my test. I never felt that I hit the Hogan 8 iron really flush. I did hit a couple of solid shots that went 150 but I never felt the same feeling or sound when I hit the MacGregor irons. I am not sure whether I didn't hit them as well or if the feel is totally different and he thickness at the bottom part of the Hogans doesn't transfer the the feel as well as the MacGregors. Again, I need to do more testing. However, if the distances remain fairly close throughout the bag I may see how they perform on the course. Well, I may see how they do either way. I did hit the MacGregors higher due to the loft and straighter - probably at least partially due to the loft as well.

Has anyone tried vintage irons? Also, I am wondering why the yardage differences aren’t greater.

Last edited:
I did a similar test a few years ago between original ping eye 2s and i20s. I was pretty surprised at how similar they were for clubs made 25 years apart. A few things I remember:
-the i20 gap wedge (50*) flew the exact same distance as the eye 2 pw (50*). The 5 irons were real close distance wise, they were 1* different lofts iirc, so their wasn't any magical distance gains if you had the same loft/length club.
-Although not as evident as some year to year marketing would lead you to believe, there was some differences in tech. For example, the bigger differences were as the irons get longer. The eye 2 5 iron flew noticeably lower that the i20. Also the eye 2s were noticeably less forgiving as the irons got longer, but still very playable. Miss hits would be maybe 3-5 yards shorter/offline for example.
Fwiw, the summer I had both sets, I actually shot the lowest round w the eye 2s. But in the end, I decided technology is a good thing so I sold they eye 2s and eventually traded the i20s for some more forgiving g25s, that I still play.

I continued the test today. First, I went back to the PGA Superstore and compared the 6 irons. The Hogan 6 iron went 163 to 167 yards consistently. The MacGregor went 157 to 162 yards. I then had them check the loft on the MacGregor and it was 32 degrees versus 29 for my Hogan - which explains the distance difference. I thought there would be a larger discrepancy in the lofts.

I then went out to a driving range and hit balls with several different clubs - going back and forth between the sets. I found that the MacGregors flew higher and straighter. The difference in distance seemed to be less than I had anticipated from the earlier test. While both sets are forged clubs There is a sweet feeling when you hit a good shot with the MacGregor. I don.t know if the steel shafts give me a more direct connection and the graphite gives a more insulated feeling or if it is the thinner blades or a difference in forging.

Last edited:
I demoed all 3 of the new Ben Hogan clubs. I couldn't tell that much of a difference between the Ft. Worth and the PTX. FT. Worth felt so much better. The physical size difference was the PTX sole was about 3/32 wider. I'm not surprised by what you have seen.

I demoed the PYX and Edge and liked the PTX Better. The FT Worth was out of Stock. The sole does make a difference on how I perceive and feel at the ball. I have gone out a couple of more times and found a similar feeling. Though, when I analyze my shots I hit the PTX fine and slightly longer. Though, I am still hitting the MacGregor's a little more pure and slightly more accurate. I am sure it is a combination of the sole and the confidence. They were out of the FT Worth when I was doing the demos. In retrospect I should have waited and tried them. We have had so much rain in the Atlanta area that I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. It is dry today and tomorrow but the course is really wet. It will be interesting to try both of them side by side.

Since my last post I have had a few things happen. I injured my left thumb - which has hindered me hitting balls. I was in a thrift store and found a Hogan Apex 8 iron. I had it regripped with a midsize grip. It felt great when I hit it. The MacGregors were an inch too long and had rough, hard grips. So, I had them shortened put the same Golfpride midsize grip on the Hogan Apex. They feel great. I am hitting the Hogan PTX irons better (I have shortened my backswing) and hitting the ball more solid, straighter and longer.Obviously, all good things to have happen. My challenge is to swing too long causing me to lift up. Then, a lot of bad things can happen. The PTX feel fine but don’t have the feel of the MacGregor or the Apex. I do generally (but not always because often I make better contact with the Apex or VIP) the PTX further by 6 to 8 yards. However, when I hit the Apex and VIP solid it is surprising how far they go.

I am anxious to try them on the course. But we have had so much rain it has been impossible to get out on my days off. Time will tell on how they ultimately do on the course.

Last edited:
Back