Light Weight Drivers

bassing33

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a Cleveland XL270 for years and just recently started playing a Callaway V-Series. But I was curious, what light weight drivers are available now?

Whats your experience with them? Do they help or hurt your game?

For me, I seem to do much better with a lighter driver. This is a new discovery for me hence the question.

Forgive my cluelessness, but are you speaking of lightweight head, shaft, grip or all of the above?

Cobra FMax Superlite is another and they just came out. Full review on the THP home page.

Another vote for the FMax. It is worth a look for sure and sounds good based on Jmans review.

I've got multiples of the Cleveland DST launcher driver which is dated like your series. The Wilson D series drivers were advertised as very light but I don't know if they are as light at the Clevelands of the 2010 era. If you break my Cleveland DST driver down it had like a 40g grip, 47g stiff shaft, and head. I've since dropped to a 23g grip to increase swing weight and I think my total driver is about 8.5oz.

All that said, I picked up a Triton 9 degree with a 50g shaft over the Thanksgiving sales and this is the only driver I've hit that approaches the distance I get with my old DST. I'm not announcing the DST as out of play but right now the Triton on is the bag. I mention because your golf set indicates you have the Triton as well.

I hit lightweight drivers farther but much more crooked. Just like playing a driver with a 48” shaft, the loss of accuracy results in higher scores for me.

I believe the Epic Star, which is super light weight, including head and shaft, may be marked down right now.

I used to think that light weight was the way to go for me, but not super light. I am not so sure now that my average drives are any longer. Yes, once in a while I hit one that is clearly longer, but the north/south dispersion is so much greater. I am gravitating back to heavier in both drivers and irons.

I hook the tar out of lightweight drivers, but when I catch one perfect it goes forever. A heavier driver I hit much more consistent and strait and when I catch it it goes a little bit longer than average.

I think the super lite concept works well if all clubs within the bag are super lite. Otherwise, a player needs to make challenging swing pace/tempo adjustments from club to club.

Cobra FMax Superlite is another and they just came out. Full review on the THP home page.

I wouldn’t be opposed to 15* ladies head with a helium 5F4 43” tipped (3 wood shaft) in this as a Thriver for the MC

Black UTX 2 wraps

Forgive my cluelessness, but are you speaking of lightweight head, shaft, grip or all of the above?

All of the above. But I suppose I could lighten up shaft and achieve similar results. I don’t have tons of experience in tinkering with clubs.

I've got multiples of the Cleveland DST launcher driver which is dated like your series. The Wilson D series drivers were advertised as very light but I don't know if they are as light at the Clevelands of the 2010 era. If you break my Cleveland DST driver down it had like a 40g grip, 47g stiff shaft, and head. I've since dropped to a 23g grip to increase swing weight and I think my total driver is about 8.5oz.

All that said, I picked up a Triton 9 degree with a 50g shaft over the Thanksgiving sales and this is the only driver I've hit that approaches the distance I get with my old DST. I'm not announcing the DST as out of play but right now the Triton on is the bag. I mention because your golf set indicates you have the Triton as well.

I do have a triton and like it but the shaft is 75gr. I feel I would hit it better if the overall weight was a touch lighter. But I’d have to find a new Wilson staff tipped shaft that’s stiff flex and light weight.

This has been an issue for me since lightweight Drivers evolved. I can not feel where the club head is during the swing. The first gen of metal woods were fine. As heads got lighter and into the Volkswagen on a stick territory, that was it. My driving became a lot more erratic. I have a 2017 M1 driver, as well as an M1 3 wood. The compact head on the 3 “feels” better- I seem to know where it and and where the load point is on the transition. I don’t get that feeling with the Driver. I probably should have gone with the 430cc M1 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always liked the Big Bertha V Series - bought one for my 12 yr old son and he hammers it. Of course, the shaft is about 42 inches long. I take a swing with it now and then to show him what it can do - and when he can hammer it straight, relatively far, and high at 42 inches, he can have another driver. lol.

Not many left: 1

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/drivers/drivers-2014-big-bertha-v-series.html

You might also try the Big Bertha Fusion.

All of the above. But I suppose I could lighten up shaft and achieve similar results. I don’t have tons of experience in tinkering with clubs.

If I recall, the weights in the M1 are 12g and 14g stock. If you drop one or both of them, then you'd be left with a very light head to go with the lighter shaft and grip. Not sure you'd wanna do that. I don't know what to guess the swingweight would end up at and you'd likely lose it in the backswing, but it's an easy experiment to try taking the weights out. Also, not sure if it would be non-conforming once you removed the weights. I can't remember if the M1 is listed with the weights on the conforming driver list.

Good luck with the search. I've settled on a 75ish gram driver shaft being the optimal range for me with a head that's a minimum of 200g if not approaching 205g.

The Wilson Staff "D" line of drivers focus on "right light".

I'm eagerly awaiting the D7 to hit the shelves. I'm hoping they were able to lower the CG with the carbon crown & get the spin down.

This has been an issue for me since lightweight Drivers evolved. I can not feel where the club head is during the swing. The first gen of metal woods were fine. As heads got lighter and into the Volkswagen on a stick territory, that was it. My driving became a lot more erratic. I have a 2017 M1 driver, as well as an M1 3 wood. The compact head on the 3 “feels” better- I seem to know where it and and where the load point is on the transition. I don’t get that feeling with the Driver. I probably should have gone with the 430cc M1 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t have much experience with swing weight changes. For example I don’t even know what my swing weight is in the triton or v-series. I just swing them and seem to make better contact more consistently with the physically lighter driver. As my stable of adjustable drivers and shafts increases I hope to be able to mess with this more.

i'm far more swing weight impacted than total weight. case in point, picked up a 52 PMP wedge several weeks ago. Feels light even with a full weight shaft in it. In fact, my reaction is I will get too fast in transition with it. Then I put it on the scale and figured it is actually heavier then my existing wedges. Threw it on the SW scale and found it is a C7 (SW works in 8 increments with the alphanumeric character indicating more SW as you go down the alphabet). My existing wedges are D6. Things like Vokeys come D5 out of the box and most companies make SW on wedges around D4.

The reason the Wilson is so low is because they likely built the club for a 50g grip then someone got the idea of putting the stock grip on it which is 61g. I will be replacing grip with a 33g grip next weekend which will get my total SW up to D6 which is where I like a wedge.

My Triton with the heavy plate and 2 of the 7g weights in it is about D5. Most players will play a driver about D3 or D4. I find the heavier swing weights within reason help me slow my transition which is the typical problem people state when swinging a light driver. I think frequently it is too little Headweight and not really a too light club situations. again, my PMP wedge is not light at all just feels that way stock.

Back