Business Travel Golf

I would rent the clubs. No need to worry about checking in your clubs on the plane, or worrying about them for the rest of the trip. When I travel I like to minimize stress, it's feels nice not having to lug your personal clubs around from hotel to course and back, just show up and play.

I would rent the clubs. No need to worry about checking in your clubs on the plane, or worrying about them for the rest of the trip. When I travel I like to minimize stress, it's feels nice not having to lug your personal clubs around from hotel to course and back, just show up and play.
And this is one of the reason our course is offering a promo this year patterning local hotels, offering their guests free rental clubs and 20% off green fees.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have done it, and this is where I have found shipsticks to be helpful. I had 2 stops for work with coworkers then I drove to another spot so I used shipsticks to send my clubs ahead of me.

Then I played a couple rounds over the weekend and flew home with them.

I prefer to have my clubs and this has helped me alleviate some of the logistics of having to haul clubs around and works out to similar cost as renting.

I definitely like to play when I travel. If I'm traveling on the east coast then my clubs come with me, but I haven't brought them on my west coast excursions yet. Since I go to San Diego often I hope to play Torrey Pines, and others in the area. Most of my travel for work is at least 2 weeks, so I'm pretty much sure to play at least once.

I did it a few times, only during down times, before/after the work day. I was mostly traveling with my car, so I just brought the clubs with me

I have done it, and this is where I have found shipsticks to be helpful. I had 2 stops for work with coworkers then I drove to another spot so I used shipsticks to send my clubs ahead of me.

Then I played a couple rounds over the weekend and flew home with them.

I prefer to have my clubs and this has helped me alleviate some of the logistics of having to haul clubs around and works out to similar cost as renting.

Shipstix is great and far cheaper than directly going to Fedex.

If I'm going to play while I am on the road, the clubs come along. I love playing new courses and I love playing when I'm on business trips

I'm on a 18 day business trip right now and have my clubs with me. Started with Little Rock (no golf), Dallas weekend before last (2 rounds) and Scottsdale last weekend (3 rounds). Just checked into the Omni Championsgate and playing International tomorrow AM.

If the trip allows for golf, I'll bring my clubs (prefer to play mine). When I travel to Little Rock, I keep a second set there as I am there a couple of times a month. I travel a fare amount (over 100k miles last year) so I'll take any opportunity to golf I can. If I could only get one round in on a trip, I would probably rent rather than haul.

For shoes, I really like Ecco hybrids as they are good golf shoes and double as a casual shoe too. For me, better than sneakers.

Last edited:
Congrats on the opportunity. I travel quite a bit for business including trips to Europe, Asia and China. If I can fit in 2 or more rounds I usually bring my clubs, other wise I rent them.

If I have time on a trip (and I usually do since I'm an early riser anyway) I'll take my clubs and play a round or two.

Congratulations on your new opportunity.

Since I run my own business I can play whenever I want to on business trips. Some rules I follow though -

1. I always play after the work is done, not before. Both work and golf become more enjoyable that way.

2. If I'll be coming back to the place more often, I "park" an old or extra golf set in that location so that I don't have to be lugging golf bags on every trip.

3. I keep lugging golf bags to a minimum. It's none of their effing business, but some small-minded people in places I go don't like seeing that I'm having fun on their account. And nothing says "I'm having fun" more than lugging around golf bags in airport terminals. I always get that "look".

Back