You Choose The Course

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Augusta National Golf Club decides to no longer host the Masters tournament. You are hired to choose the next course.

The Rules
It must stay in April so factor in weather
It must be at a course that is also available to the public (either public or resort)
It must be in impeccable shape
It must be challenging to the best in the world
And it must have a certain charm that separates it.

So what do you say THPers, what course would you choose to host this great tournament.

Some place in Alabama......but no clue exactly where. Gotta be a gem there that fits the criteria.

TPC Las Vegas.

Always thought a tournament could be hosted there and I bet they could make it play pretty hard when they wanted to.

TPC Las Vegas.

Always thought a tournament could be hosted there and I bet they could make it play pretty hard when they wanted to.

I'd make it TPC Summerlin over TPC Las Vegas.

Wow, when I 1st read the op I had ideas, by the time I clicked to reply the brain had a chance to kick in and now am drawing a blank to what would qualify in my head to host it.

Hammock Beach?

I've heard that Las Vegas is a much better course. Maybe not in looks but in course difficulty and unique shots.

This is a really tough choice, because it has to be public or resort. Most courses that fit that criteria are questionable unless you get a course that really just happens to be that good.

Only course I can think of is The Conservatory. It has the length, it's freakin brutal hard, especially when the wind blows, and it's just a damn good golf course.

Harbour Town Golf Links is one of my favorites. Maybe too north for early in the season?

Summerlin does not fit the criteria.
But even if it was, I find it hard to believe the Masters could be held at the same course that held the Shriners. :D

Ok, I can't seem to recall the name(s) but it's outside of las vegas on reserve with 3 courses

take note I want left coast

Edit: it's one of the Mesquite courses.

Last edited:
Harbour Town Golf Links is one of my favorites. Maybe too north for early in the season?

They play the Heritage the week after the Masters every year. One week shouldn't be that big a weather difference.

It must be at a course that is also available to the public (either public or resort)
This certainly makes it more challenging. I know some didn't care for it but I really loved Pinehurst #2 post renovations. As the other courses that come to mind are private, this would be my pick.

What about Kiawah? Only question would be April weather maybe. Has the challenge and when the wind blows......

JM

PGA National hosts the Honda has hosted a Ryder Cup and the Bear Trap from the tips is a true test of your golfing mettle

The course having to be public really makes it tough. ANGC is very private, why should the "replacement" have to be public?

But for the criteria listed in the OP: Ocean Course at Kiawah.

That's tough but I think I would go with pebble beach.

The course having to be public really makes it tough. ANGC is very private, why should the "replacement" have to be public?

Its a hypothetical, as not only is Augusta National not getting rid of the Masters, a THPer is not being chosen to find a replacement.

Back