Ping's new alignment stratagy for putters. Bubba's new putter

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap

I saw this last night while looking at new putters, and surfing through Rick Shiels and Peter Finch's youtube channels. Have been thinking a lot of alignment since researching the new TFI by Cleveland, but after seeing this video I'm as confused as ever.*

The video pretty much states that for Bubba at least all the excessive alignment aids on putters (2ball, Smart Square, one line, multiple lines) are psychologically hindering putting because your eyes would follow the club head on its way back. It totally makes sense.*

To test the theory out I grabbed a typical anser that I have with an alignment line that I color filled with a brighter color, and I grabbed and old Spaulding TPM #2 with just a dot. I putted around the house and did find myself looking at the putter head with the line as opposed to the dot in my backswing.*

Of course this could all be a mental thing having just watched the video, but it does make sense. What do you guys think?‎

I love alignment guides and like mallets because of that. I have no urge to follow the club head while putting with them either. It's all for alignment.

So, it's just a dot on the center top? Odyssey has done this with a number of their putters. My last gamer, the Sabertooth, had something like this.

So, it's just a dot on the center top? Odyssey has done this with a number of their putters. My last gamer, the Sabertooth, had something like this.

Most putter manufacturers have had this at some point. It was just interesting they studied the physiological a psychological aspects of how the alignment affected their top player during the putter swing

Wait, is their new alignment system a dot on the top line for Bubba?

I like the discussion why dots versus lines for some players. But BFD, this isn't new and hopefully doesn't get marketed as such

I guess I'm weird, and maybe it's why I putt so poorly, but I follow the clubhead.

I try to get the line and the face of the putter square through the stroke and just let the ball get in the way.

It's ironic Ping is focusing on alignment when the Ketsch is probably the worst when it comes to using the alignment of the head to ensure a straight putt.

And to clarify I realize the dot has been around for longer than I've been alive. Just cool reading into the new research behind why one of the best in the world switched to it.

I believe Tiger also uses a dot alignment (not that people respect his short game anymore anyway)

Different strokes for different folks.

It's different for everyone, lots of ways to get the ball in the hole with the flatstick. For me, an alignment mark on the ball is very distracting.

It's ironic Ping is focusing on alignment when the Ketsch is probably the worst when it comes to using the alignment of the head to ensure a straight putt.

I've heard people rave about that thing, but I couldn't hit putt with it to save my life in the store. The midsized version was a little better.

I'm the opposite. I need alignment aides on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love alignment guides and like mallets because of that. I have no urge to follow the club head while putting with them either. It's all for alignment.

I'm with you on this one. I like having multiple parallel lines for the initial alignment (hence the Rossie), but 2-ball, squares, fangs, etc. are too distracting for me. Keep it clean and simple.

Funny, they are almost laughing about it at the beginning and it felt like it was a little, "Are the people that are going to watch this actually going to buy this new theory of a dot?"

Funny, they are almost laughing about it at the beginning and it felt like it was a little, "Are the people that are going to watch this actually going to buy this new theory of a dot?"

My favorite is whenever we hear about "new and revolutionary" technology that other OEMs have been doing for YEARS, and is only available to tour pros. Why boast about that damn dot if I can't order an Anser with the damn dot!

i would agree with bubba. i don't like alignment lines at all. i have them on my putter right now, and i'm thinking about paintfilling them to match the color of the head. i find them very distracting. i've even stopped using the alignment line on the ball for the same reason. this is all subject to change, because i'm still not making many putts haha!

My favorite is whenever we hear about "new and revolutionary" technology that other OEMs have been doing for YEARS, and is only available to tour pros. Why boast about that damn dot if I can't order an Anser with the damn dot!

I agree with this. After watching the video I browsed the site and saw that they offer the answer in no alignment or a line. No other options. Of course u could have the WRX department put a dot on but still

LOL! I actually like a simple white dot on the crown of my drivers and the easiest way to do that is white finger nail polish. My 16 year old daughter has a very steady hand and is an expert now at applying just the right size dot on the crown.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yep, everything is subjective. I like a clean putter with no lines or dots.

It is a dot. Am I missing something here?

It's different for everyone, lots of ways to get the ball in the hole with the flatstick. For me, an alignment mark on the ball is very distracting.

Same here. I had a putting lesson with Kevin Weeks (Cog Hill) who said that's fine, but I should match it with a putter that doesn't have any alignment line/dot.

I can't stand alignment lines on anything except the ball and even that line has to be small. It is a major reason why I went back to a blade putter. The aids just get in my way. I can tell where I am aimed when putting by choosing a mark on the green to hit and aiming at that.

My stroke will fail me more often than any lines will help.

I have a dot on the top line of my putter. I guess I am revolutionary!

Back