Thread: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver Review

#DamageDone
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v.man View Post
    I'm playing it with the stock Tensei Blue and would assume that is 45.25". They don't show the length in their specs. If I moved up to the N+ setting 10.5* the lie would go up .5*. I thought lofting up closed the face some and lofting down opens it. I'm not sure how the lie angle plays into this. The U+ get it to 10.5* with the lie going up 2.5*. My concern with going up is that I hit all drivers very high and really like a mid flight. I may try going up to N+ tomorrow just to see what happens.
    In theory, lofting up should close it slightly. Visually, I don't really see it but by virtue of me being able to draw it with a good swing when I really can't at 9.5 tells me there must be a little something to it. I have it at N+ which only sets it upright by .5 degrees. A more upright lie is supposed to aid in drawing the ball as well.
    Driver: GS53 10.5 w/ Helium 5F4
    FWs: GS53 3W & 5W w/ Helium 5F4
    Irons: PTx Pro 4 - PW w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
    Wedges: Equalizer 50, 54, 58 w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
    Putter: BHB03
    Ball: B330-RX / Tour B RX

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sox_Fan For This Useful Post:

v.man (05-20-2019)

Handicap
    --18--
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts
    When I had my Tour Edge fitting a few weeks ago, the fitter said putting it in the Upright position would close the face just a bit. I was hitting it either straight, or just a bit right, which is normal for me, and we tried the 10.5* head at upright 10.5*, and the 9* head lofted up to upright 10.5*, which should have closed the face even more, but I still hit the 10.5* head best (upright) with the Tensei Blue 60R shaft. So going upright should help, and lofting up should also, but as others have stated, this driver does defy logic on occasion.

I haven't had a chance to get it out yet, been either too busy with work, or raining, since it showed up. Maybe get a chance later this week, although there is more rain in the forecast. Going to start with what the fitter recommended, but I'm sure I'll end up messing around with it after a while. Probably get a couple of adapters and play with a couple of shaft options, and likely get the weight kit too.
    In My Exotics Xtreme2 Cart Bag:

Driver: Exotics EXS 10.5, Tensei Blue
    Fairway: Exotics EX9 Tour 17,
    Rogue Black
    Hybrid: Exotics EX9 Tour 20, Recoil 780 ES
    Irons: Z355 4 - PW, Jinsoku Graphite
    Wedges: RTX 2.0, 50 , 56, 60,
    Recoil 95
    Putter: Huntington Beach SOFT #11
    Ball: B330 RX and E6

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OldeDude For This Useful Post:

v.man (05-20-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    A preview of things to come!
    2019 The SWEEP presented by THP & Budget Golf & The Ben Hogan Experience 2019

GS53 Driver 9.0*
    GS53 3 Fairway Wood 14*
    VKTR Hybrid 18*
    VKTR Hybrid 22*
    VKTR Hybrid 26*
    PTx Pros Irons 6-PW
    Equalizer GW 50*
    Equalizer SW 54*
    Equalizer LW 58*
    BHM01 Putter
    BH1 R/W/B Stand Bag

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Cobb III For This Useful Post:

ozzman (05-21-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    So, I found this bag on Facebook marketplace. A golf course in Racine, Wisconsin had it. Paid $100 including shipping! It was too good of a deal to pass up!

GS53 Driver 9.0*
    GS53 3 Fairway Wood 14*
    VKTR Hybrid 18*
    VKTR Hybrid 22*
    VKTR Hybrid 26*
    PTx Pros Irons 6-PW
    Equalizer GW 50*
    Equalizer SW 54*
    Equalizer LW 58*
    BHM01 Putter
    BH1 R/W/B Stand Bag

Major Champion

Handicap
    W.I.P.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,089 Posts
    Made some real progress dialing in the EXS driver today. I changed the setting to the UN, Upright Neutral setting from the N- setting I played yesterday. This put the loft back to 9.5 from the 8.5 I had dropped it to and raised the lie from 57.5* up to 60.0*. This closes the face a tad if I'm reading things right. On the first tee, I set up as square as I could to the 150 yard marker in the middle of the fairway, and BOOM, the ball goes dead straight right over the top of that marker. Now we're talking! No push to the right; no fade. Just dead straight. Now, had I not hit that great first drive, the story of my day might have been a lot less promising. But, I can't tell you how much that did for my confidence.

I'll sum up the EXS performance today succinctly. I did not miss a fairway until hole number 9. My ball flight was mostly straight, perhaps a tad high, but, with very good distance. I hit a few that had a very slight fade to them, but, it was a very windy day and that had something to do with it, so, I'm not concerned. The fairway I missed on 9 was because, into the wind, I just swung too hard and I think my hands got through the shot before the club face squared up and, with the face open, it went way right. As an aside, that gave me the chance to hit the EXS off the deck for the first time. I ended up behind and between two giant live oak trees with no choice but to hit a low screamer that couldn't get higher than 10 or 12 feet to miss the overhanging branches. It felt like I didn't hit that shot all that well, but, the trajectory was perfectly under the trees and the ball ran out so far that I was inside the 150 on the par 5 and was able to knock it on and par the hole.

To get back on track, the only other fairway I missed was on hole 13 where some of our Darwin-candidate golf maintenance guys had a pickup truck and a back hoe and themselves taking up half the fairway right in the landing zone. Trying to miss them we all ended up in the right rough. The EXS was pretty accurate though because another ten yards to the right was a water hazard. I should have missed the fairway on 18 (again into the wind) because it was my worst swing of the day, necking it badly. Somehow that ball got to the fairway though with more distance than I deserved

So, color me very encouraged. I'm going to try going to the U- setting next which will get the loft back down to 8.5* while only giving up 1* on the lie angle. But, I may wait and play another round or two with the current set up, hopefully on a little less windy day.

Edit: Yes, I should retract the word "succinctly"!
    Spoiler
    WITB:

Driver: G400 9* Alta CB55
    Fairways: XR 3, 4w Project X LZ Reg
    Hybrids: Steelhead 3H MATRIX Ozik F15 60R
    Irons: Rogue X 4-AW Aldila Synergy 60R
    Wedges: RTX-3 48*, CBX 54*, SCOR 56*
    Putter: Huntington Beach #10
    Ball: Snell MyTourBall

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to v.man For This Useful Post:

Hacker Rod (05-21-2019), markm778 (05-21-2019), OITW (05-21-2019), Sox_Fan (05-21-2019)

Handicap
    USGA 9.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Received my EXS 10.5 Tensei Blue 50 reg shaft today. Checked swing weight and came in at D3, great. I'll play it tomorrow at the stock length, 45.25", and choke up 1". At address the head is slightly bigger than my gamer Cleveland Launcher HB, but am so looking forward to hitting it tomorrow.
    Launcher HB C Kua 10.5 5R
    14.5* King F8 3 Baffler
    22* King F8 4 Baffler
    M6 5 - PW XP100 R300
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    Huntington Beack 11
    Supersoft 2019

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mach2 For This Useful Post:

Hacker Rod (05-21-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badolds View Post
    Loving this driver to the point I want a blue EXS hat. I have been checking the Tour Edge site along with ebay and amazon and cannot find one available. Can someone tell me where I can buy one?
    The blue hat is still sold out but they have some white EXS hats still available in S/M and L/XL. Just bought a white one.

GS53 Driver 9.0*
    GS53 3 Fairway Wood 14*
    VKTR Hybrid 18*
    VKTR Hybrid 22*
    VKTR Hybrid 26*
    PTx Pros Irons 6-PW
    Equalizer GW 50*
    Equalizer SW 54*
    Equalizer LW 58*
    BHM01 Putter
    BH1 R/W/B Stand Bag

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Cobb III For This Useful Post:

badolds (05-22-2019)

Handicap
    USGA 9.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    After 2 rounds with this driver, I'm sending it back. At address, the head behind the ball looked too triangular. I choked 1" and put some good swings with it but didn't like the impact sound. Saw no dispersion improvement, or length improvement either. Doesn't favorably compare to the gamer Cleveland Launcher HB driver.
    14.5* King F8 3 Baffler
    22* King F8 4 Baffler
    M6 5 - PW XP100 R300
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    Huntington Beack 11
    Supersoft 2019

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    After 2 rounds with this driver, I'm sending it back. At address, the head behind the ball looked too triangular. I choked 1" and put some good swings with it but didn't like the impact sound. Saw no dispersion improvement, or length improvement either. Doesn't favorably compare to the gamer Cleveland Launcher HB driver.
    Did you adjust the hosel/setup?

Sorry for the lack of feedback - course and range has been minimal - should change after this week
    F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
    F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
    F9 Speedback Pink 18.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
    F9 Speedback 4i Atmos Black Stiff
    F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
    King Black 52/56/60 Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
    EXO Rossie S
    Black Cobra Connect UTX
    Hybrid
    Truvis Shaka Ball

Handicap
    USGA 9.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    Did you adjust the hosel/setup?

Sorry for the lack of feedback - course and range has been minimal - should change after this week
    No I didn't. Just couldn't get past the dislike of the head shape. If it doesn't look good to your eye at address, it ain't gonna work.
    14.5* King F8 3 Baffler
    22* King F8 4 Baffler
    M6 5 - PW XP100 R300
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    Huntington Beack 11
    Supersoft 2019

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mach2 For This Useful Post:

OITW (05-25-2019)

Handicap
    --18--
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts
    Got my EXS driver out for the first time yesterday, a little at the range, then a round of 18. As I've mentioned before, had a fitting by Tour Edge which put me in a 10.5* head, set to Neutral/Upright, Tensei Blue 60R shaft, and mid-size UTx grip. First impression at the range was "Wow, I didn't remember this thing being so loud!" It wasn't a bad sound, but an explosive crack that had people looking. Hit it pretty well, dead straight or slight fade, mid/mid-low ball flight, and distance about normal for me. Got to the first tee, and hit a pretty good drive, and the sound was much more what I would expect. Evidently it was just the range rocks creating that explosively loud crack on the range, my gamers (Bridgestone E6) gave a much more normal sound, like I originally expected, and as many have described earlier in this thread.

Pretty good results on the course. Technically only hit 7 of 14 fairways, but 4 others were within about 2' - 3', but just into the rough (one literally 2" off the fairway). The other 3 were just bad swings, one push, one pull, and one duck-hook. Distance was pretty much on par for me, I'm a low ball hitter, and the course was pretty soft from recent rains, and the fairways won't get mowed too tight until things dry out more, so virtually no roll out. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing some distance gains when playing courses where I get my normal roll in the fairways.

So far I'm really impressed. I'll get some more time with it before doing any tinkering, but I'll likely get the weight kit, and also try a couple of other shaft options, just because I like to tinker.
    In My Exotics Xtreme2 Cart Bag:

Driver: Exotics EXS 10.5, Tensei Blue
    Fairway: Exotics EX9 Tour 17,
    Rogue Black
    Hybrid: Exotics EX9 Tour 20, Recoil 780 ES
    Irons: Z355 4 - PW, Jinsoku Graphite
    Wedges: RTX 2.0, 50 , 56, 60,
    Recoil 95
    Putter: Huntington Beach SOFT #11
    Ball: B330 RX and E6

Major Champion

Handicap
    W.I.P.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,089 Posts
    Got a few more rounds in with the EXS Driver. Time to tinker a little more with the settings. I'm having reasonable success--last 3 rounds were all 12/14 fairways hit. I should point out that that is closer to the norm for me. The last 179 rounds recorded in SkyCaddie/SkyGolf360 show 81% fairways hit. I'm old and don't hit the ball far, but I'm pretty accurate. But, on the current UN setting my ball flight is still a little too high and costing me some distance. I'm still getting the occasional fade, and my miss is mostly right, even on some straight shots. I'm going to set it at U- for tomorrow's round to try and bring the launch down a little. It drops the loft from 9.5 to 8.5, but opens up the face 1 degree. I hope it doesn't lead to more fades or misses to the right.

Playing a new course tomorrow at the Naval Air Station (A.C. Reed G.C.). This should be fun and very interesting. I'm told it's a pretty tricky course with lots of water and other hazards.
    Last edited by v.man; 05-26-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    WITB:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to v.man For This Useful Post:

Jman (05-27-2019)

Handicap
    USGA 9.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Didn't want to give up on the EXS driver. Shortened the shaft to 44.5", installed a GP Tour Velvet 360 grip and lead taped it on the heel to D3. Played it today and it was a totally different feel and performance. Hasn't knocked the Cleveland Launcher HB driver out of the bag, but will continue play the EXS for a while.
    14.5* King F8 3 Baffler
    22* King F8 4 Baffler
    M6 5 - PW XP100 R300
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    Huntington Beack 11
    Supersoft 2019

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I played 9 holes with my Rogue Draw, 10.5, senior shaft to see it could get back in the bag after playing the TE EXS for the last month and half. The Rogue felt foreign and I had a really hard time just trying to connect with the sweet spot even though the specs are almost identical to the EXS except for the shaft brand. I did manage to hit 3 fairways today but didn't feel like I was making a solid swing on any of them and actually felt lucky to hit any fairways at all. Worse yet, I didn't feel like I had any control over "where" the ball was going.

Yesterday, I played 9 holes and hit every fairway except one, and only missed the 9th holes fairway by about a yard. More impressive, I feel like I can hit the EXS exactly where I want it to. So if the approach shot should be on the left side of the fairway, I feel (and do) hit it to that side of the fairway. It may not be as long as the Rogue, but with the control I get with it, I'll give up a few yards to find more fairways and better dispersion. Totally impressed! EXS is back in the bag for good.

Major Champion

Handicap
    W.I.P.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,089 Posts
    Today's round at N.A.S. Pensacola was a lot of fun. I expected a tight course with a good bit of water and sand, but, no one told me about the 1,500 very old and very large Live Oak trees that are all over the A.C. Reed golf course. They do tend to tighten the fairways a good bit, and if you're right or left even IN the fairway you often have to work your ball around them. This didn't come into play much for me on the front nine as I was piping the EXS down the middle. Dropped the setting to Upright/Minus (U-) and got the trajectory about where I wanted it, and I had a pretty nice tempo on the swing on the front. The fairways were very good considering we haven't had rain in over a week. They were a little dry and tight, but, still pretty green. I got a good bit of roll out with this lower trajectory and the conditions. A lot of the course is near the bay, so we had a good breeze going to help offset the 95*+ temp. Didn't miss a fairway on the front and loved the distance and control I had with the EXS. I think this old man was tiring a little after we made the turn, because that nice tempo I had gave way to a too quick transition from the top and I missed the first four fairways before I figured out what was happening. On those holes I ended up under or behind said Oak trees and bogeyed them all. Got the EXS back on track, but the rest of the bag didn't come with it and had to scramble for bogeys and a couple of pars the rest of the way in. Only missed one more fairway and that happened when I hit the very first DRAW I've hit with this club. I wasn't trying to, of course, and actually lined up down the left side of the fairway, so, imagine my surprise! It really was just off the fairway, but, when there are 100+ year old Live Oaks everywhere, being a little off may as well be a lot.

Anyway, I learned a lot today. Most importantly, the EXS is money for me when my tempo is right. It does not respond well when I get too quick or over swing. I suspect that this may be due to the Senior shaft I'm gaming. It may be a little less stable--a little softer flex-- than my G400 A-flex. That's something I will be keeping an eye on, but, it may take getting another shaft/tip to compare. The EXS has been a lot of fun while getting it dialed in. It has already shown me that it deserves to stay in the bag for awhile, and I think I can still get even better with it.
    Spoiler
    WITB:

24. The Following User Says Thank You to v.man For This Useful Post:

OITW (05-27-2019)