Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 2 Minutes to walk around from all angles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • About a minute to get it read from 2 sides

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • I take a quick glance and then fire away

Votes: 78 51.7%

• Total voters
Maybe 30-40sec, i only look from behind the ball 99% of the time, one practice swing then go.

What happens if you are first to putt?

If I'm first put I take about 30-60 seconds deepening on the putt and green. I don't think I've ever taken more than a minute to make my decision unless I'm cutting up with whoever I'm playing with on a slow day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will crouch down look at my line. Close my eyes for 3-5 seconds then open and focus on my line. Then set up and fire away. I never take a practice stroke with my putter. So all in all I would guess less than a minute total to read and putt.

I'm reading the green as I walk up to my ball and I'll have a line picked out while others are putting, so when it's my turn I'm ready. If I'm first I take maybe 30-45 seconds and then I pull the trigger.

I look at it this way, sort of like the guy on the tee box waiting for the green to clear on a par 5 or someone in the fairway on his 2nd shot waiting for the green to clear or the guy that looks at the putt from all angles, puts 2 fingers up and closes one eyeeye and then takes 5 practice strokes before hitting the putt:

You better make it. :D

depends on when I'm putting. If I'm walking up to the green and first to putt, I may walk around it to get a good look at as many angles as I can without taking too much time. If I'm not first to putt, then I would likely be able to get a pretty good read on my putt while everyone else is making their way up, putting their balls, etc. In those cases, by the time it's my turn, I'm placing my ball, taking one last look, a practice swing or two and that's it. From the time I'm "on the clock" to the time I strike my ball, maybe 15-20 seconds.

Not long. I start reading as I'm walking onto the green.
I stand behind the putt once and off I go.

Never view from both sides of the hole as it is a waste of time.

First instinct rules. Either I see the line or I don't.

there is no right or wrong way to do it, just don't take long doing it.

If I'm out I just give it a good once over. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds and I'm pulling the trigger. If I have time I give my putt more of a look while others are going about their business.

Just a look from behind the ball, only time I take a look from the other side of the hole is if I'm walking by that angle to get to my ball.

I voted the first, but it isn't quite accurate. I usually will read it from one side, but will walk to the other if I'm not sure what I'm seeing. But taking a minute is probably longer than I will take 90% of the time.

I don't think there are many who putt quicker than I do.

I try not to take too long but I will always try and take reads while my playing partners are putting to speed things up

I feel like I can usually get a decent read pretty quickly. If it's a putt that has a big break or multiple breaks, I'll walk to find the high point(s).

Read usually isn't my problem as far as time; occasionally a double breaker will make me think but I usually find a target and stick with it. I usually do this as I'm walking up to my ball from the other side and as playing partners are putting. Most of my time is used making sure I am aligned correctly. I'm very right eye dominant so I have some checks I do to ensure I start the ball on the intended line. If I wait too long over the ball, it isn't going in, so I try to keep it simple.

I would say that I generally fall between the last two options. If I can take a quick glance at it, see what I think is the line - I am going with it. If I am unsure, I'll walk around and take another look. I will also say that in match play, I found myself automatically taking a second look on most putts.

Reading this putt would take me a total of 15 to 20 seconds at most.

I think there should be a new rule to golf. When reading a putt, you must hold your breath the whole time you are reading.
If you take a breath before you are done, it's a 2 stroke penalty.
That would speed up these "read it from all sides, compute the slope and then plumb bob" guys that then miss the putt by 4 inches.

I try to take care of the read long before its my turn to putt. I try not to pull the trigger until I am fully comfortable with my alignment. I will back off and realign from time to time. I am generally ready to put the ball on the green as soon as its my turn to putt, no surveying or stalking at that point.

I choose as long as I need though, like I said, I try not to pull the trigger till confident.

I take a quick glance and fire away. My first read tends to be my best read.

Back