Initiating the downswing

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
12.1 GHIN
Hey all,

So I've been taking lessons at GolfTec for the last 5 months or so, and it's helped a lot. I'm getting a much better turn on the backswing and getting into a better position at the top. For the last couple months I've been working on my weight shift and turning through the downswing, but I just cannot get it. I cannot take a full swing without standing up on the downswing. My instructor is great, and has explained it to me multiple ways (like throwing a sidearm baseball, turn your belt buckle to the target, etc) and while I understand it intelectually, getting my body to do it is another story. I've tried various drills (punisher drill, chair drill) with some success, but nothing that makes it 'click'. I don't believe it's a flexibility issue as I can do this drill with no issues:

Anyway, I know different thoughts/feelings work for different people, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this and found something that made it 'click' for them? Thanks!

The golf swing is a series of reactions and involuntary movements once you've grooved your swing. If you are losing spine angle on the down swing then something is causing this. You could be too flat, your rear knee could be collapsing on the back swing, you have to spine title to begin with, your core is weak. There are many reason this could be happening.

I think the key is to find a solid address position. Have your pro check your weight when in your address position. If you working with a solid setup then finding the flaw will be easier. The goal is to eliminate flaws by sticking to the basics of the golf swing.

The golf swing is a series of reactions and involuntary movements once you've grooved your swing. If you are losing spine angle on the down swing then something is causing this. You could be too flat, your rear knee could be collapsing on the back swing, you have to spine title to begin with, your core is weak. There are many reason this could be happening.

I think the key is to find a solid address position. Have your pro check your weight when in your address position. If you working with a solid setup then finding the flaw will be easier. The goal is to eliminate flaws by sticking to the basics of the golf swing.

Thanks for the response Freddie, according to my instructor my setup is good. I was able to download my swing from my latest lesson and upload it on YouTube. It's not great quality, but if you have any thoughts I would love to hear them, thanks.

982730a428ebdc3eb4fe8d9bd93c36c2.jpg

It's what I excepted, your rear leg straightens and your swing is way inside and flat. Look at your shoulder and arm line at the top of your swing. It is so far above the ball which means you are under the plane. Your move is singular, way inside and stand tall.

Ask him to work on getting you more upright in your swing and not so flat. It will assist in your issue of standing tall at impact.

It's what I excepted, your rear leg straightens and your swing is way inside and flat. Look at your shoulder and arm line at the top of your swing. It is so far above the ball which means you are under the plane. Your move is singular, way inside and stand tall.

Ask him to work on getting you more upright in your swing and not so flat. It will assist in your issue of standing tall at impact.

Will do, thanks!

Sorry, one more question, but what do you mean by 'singular'? Does that mean there's no vertical component to the backswing?

Sorry, one more question, but what do you mean by 'singular'? Does that mean there's no vertical component to the backswing?

You only have one move that can be used to get through your downswing. Drop to the inside and stand tall to create space

You only have one move that can be used to get through your downswing. Drop to the inside and stand tall to create space

Ahh k, I get you, thanks.

I can drop to the inside, down the line and outside because I have maintained the space needed to swing the club. Your move away from the ball sets up your move into the ball.

Have you tried the drill where you pass a medicine ball/beach ball/basketball to someone to your right?
It mimics the turn well.

I see hips turned too far causing the legs to straighten with too much weight on the left side and really no spine tilt.
Additionally it causes the take away to be too flat.

Just my observation.

I liked the drive in the OP, it is quite good.

The rear collapse is causing the bad weight shift. The hips can only turn as much as the rear leg will allow if it remains flexed.

The rear collapse is causing the bad weight shift. The hips can only turn as much as the rear leg will allow if it remains flexed.

Thanks, I'll definitely work on keep it flexed! To get more upright, should I increase my initial spine angle at setup? Or does my spine angle look ok, and I need to turn on a better plane?

Thanks, I'll definitely work on keep it flexed! To get more upright, should I increase my initial spine angle at setup? Or does my spine angle look ok, and I need to turn on a better plane?

I am hesitant to give you tips as you are working with someone. I think you need to tell him you'd like to get steeper and no so flat. See if he makes the adjustments needed. If not I'll help, deal?

I am hesitant to give you tips as you are working with someone. I think you need to tell him you'd like to get steeper and no so flat. See if he makes the adjustments needed. If not I'll help, deal?

Sounds good, thanks for all of your help!

Back