Keegan Bradley Penalized For 15 Clubs

Accountability can be delegated, responsibility can not. Keegan is the one responsible.

Caddie's fault, but I could totally see it happening. Better the first round at the WM Open instead of the final round at Augusta.

Accountability can be delegated, responsibility can not. Keegan is the one responsible.

Why am I not surprised you put this perfectly.

Yes, the caddie is the one in charge of this, but at the end of the day it's Keegan's bag. I thought this was handled very well by both. They seem to be a good team.

Any time that I have caddied for someone, this is something I have taken upon myself. Always did a count when got to range and let player know if we needed to remove any clubs. Then removed the club when we left the range. Did a second check when we got to the first tee.

Why am I not surprised you put this perfectly.

Yes, the caddie is the one in charge of this, but at the end of the day it's Keegan's bag. I thought this was handled very well by both. They seem to be a good team.

I guess this blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Two stroke penalty.

Two strokes per hole where more than 14 clubs were in the bag, with a maximum penalty of 4 strokes. So unless they found it before teeing off on the 2nd hole, he was penalized 4 strokes.

I just don't see how they miss this when heading to the tee. They know after he warms up that the decision between the two clubs is made, and you have to figure it's part of their routine.

Unfortunate that the caddie and ultimately, Keegan himself, didn't check but stuff happens. Based on Bubba's temperament I suspect he would have exploded. Ian Woosnam exploded at The Open a few years ago when this happened.

Can't see how they screw this up, it should be a basic check before going to the first tee, do it everytime and do it right.

I guess I'm on the other side. I don't depend on others to do what I can do. They both missed it and I don't blame the caddie. Each player should know exactly what is in his or her bag. The caddie should be aware as well but to just blame him, falls short for me. Good on him to step up for his man but he almost had to because of the unwritten rule. Anyway, sucks it happens to a guy like Keegan.

I'm with you fellas. I'm actually kind of shock how many people here just blame the caddy immediately. The responsibility for the bag and knowing what's in it is on the player IMO. It's not the caddy's clubs and bag, it's the player's. The caddy just carries it.

Kudos to his caddie for taking the blame, I'm honestly surprised this happened, seems like such a simple thing for the pros to sort out pre round, guess anything can slip through even for them.

Two strokes per hole where more than 14 clubs were in the bag, with a maximum penalty of 4 strokes. So unless they found it before teeing off on the 2nd hole, he was penalized 4 strokes.

Looks like that's the case. He was penalized two strokes on the first hole, and that's it.

I'll disagree, only because his caddies responsibility is that bag.

I can understand why most are blaming the caddie, and yes Hale should have double checked. But ultimately the bag is the players responsibility. But Hale and Keegan have a great relationship, and it can (and has) happened in the past and will again in the future to other players. Let's hope they handle it as well as these two did.

Oh yeah, if it had been Bubba, that would not have been a pretty site on the course.

I'll disagree, only because his caddies responsibility is that bag.

You can disagree, but who signs who's check. Who signs the score card? The caddy does not have overall responsibility with any part of it. Yes he/she needs to be responsible and accountable to the player. But he/she is not ultimately responsible.

That sucks but it's your responsibility as the player to make sure that your bag is legal for tournament play. The caddie is just there to help out. Granted he could have helped out to but ultimately it's up to you to make sure you have everything correct.

They both missed the conversation on which club to use, they both must have been distracted to skip a beat in their routine. Both get the blame for this foobar. Handled smartly by Keegan.

Caddie. Ive caddied for tournaments before. The bag is your job.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

This is not just the caddies fault. Any decent high school players learns quickly to check for 14 before every match. I've never made this mistake and very few pros have either. When it does happen we all tend to remember it, I certainly remember the Woosnam incident.

[video=youtube;dYV-csdgRv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV-csdgRv0[/video]

Have got to respect the way Keegan handled this. He didn't explode or blame, he just understands that mistakes happen and this is just a fluke thing to have happen. Good on him for handling the situation with class.

I just don't see how they miss this when heading to the tee. They know after he warms up that the decision between the two clubs is made, and you have to figure it's part of their routine.
This is my thought as well. I mean, how long is it before they pull the bag out of the locker, hit the range, putting green, do whatever. The first they (both Keegan and the caddie) notice the extra club is on the second hole? How does that happen? Especially if it's a common occurrence to decide between the two clubs based on location, course, whatever.

Have got to respect the way Keegan handled this. He didn't explode or blame, he just understands that mistakes happen and this is just a fluke thing to have happen. Good on him for handling the situation with class.

I totally agree and I bet this won't happen to Keegan won't forget this and it won't happen again. He'll be counting clubs from here on out.

Total bummer, I do think it's more on the caddie then the player but at the end of the day the buck stops with Keegan. He definitely won't let this happen again. 2 strokes is a big deal that could be thousands of dollars, making the cut or getting the win or a playoff.

I think it comes down to what responsibilities Keegan has given his caddie. Every pairing is different, and every pro wants different things out of their caddies. Some are much more involved with the round and setup than others. But clearly this is something they do often, as they basically said he carries a hybrid and 3 iron and decides what they need based on whatever factors they use. If he's given the responsibility to his caddie to maintain it, it's his fault. If they both usually check it over pre-round, then it's on both.

The saving grace here is that it's at least not a DQ and he can continue the tournament.

He found it before the second hole.

Carded a 66, playing with a 68 on the Scoreboard.

Back