THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Todays question of the day, and its kinda been touched on off and on over the last few months.

If you make it in (or even if you dont):

Do you have a schedule/routine set to get ready for this event? Does it entail range time, putting green time etc a few times a week? For you is it more time on the course than range? Lessons?

My routine starts soon. As I normally take time off during winter to let my body heal! But since I have been playing pretty much every weekend till now. I will start going to indoor range almost every night depend on when I get off work. And I practice putting at home and will soon have my indoor hitting area setup soon.

Todays question of the day, and its kinda been touched on off and on over the last few months.

Do you have a schedule/routine set to get ready for this event? Does it entail range time, putting green time etc a few times a week? For you is it more time on the course than range? Lessons?

Great question! Probably no on the lessons as I have never had them nor do I think I ever will, just a personal preference for me. You better believe I will be hitting the range a ton before the event. I get BOGO range balls at my local range which is super awesome when I re-sign back up for the Golf Association of Michigan program. I will also be a few weeks into my work league which is pretty competitive as there are a handful of single digit cappers that help bring out the best in my game. And as for the putting green, I don't spend too much time there...I should probably get better at this aspect.

Definitely will be hitting the range a lot to practice the full swing, chipping areas, and putting green. And most importantly playing at least 2-3 times per week, including in several spring tournaments. No substitute in my opinion for actual rounds and tourney conditions. Might even try to convince some of my regular playing partners to play a round or 2 of alternate shot to get ready for it. Think that would be a huge help. Also definitely want to get down to Boulder Creek in the spring for a practice round to get to know the course.

Regardless of making it or not, I'll be taking some lessons. I'll also be heading to the course by my work during lunch a few times a week to work on short game, or possible squeeze a few holes in. League play (match and team) will happen every Monday starting mid April.

I am going to work on the game like an animal.

Regardless of making it or not, I'll be taking some lessons. I'll also be heading to the course by my work during lunch a few times a week to work on short game, or possible squeeze a few holes in. League play (match and team) will happen every Monday starting mid April.

Where ya playing league at?

Where ya playing league at?

It's a work league. Kent State Golf Course. Definitely not the best course around, but food for networking, and fairly competitive.

I will be working on taking my game to the next level this year in a couple ways.

1. Take lessons and focus on not making big changes, but rather small corrections to tighten dispersion. First lesson is scheduled already on 2/26.

2. I am going to be joining, along with PKorf at Firestone CC this year. I will look forward to spending at least 1 full day there/week working on the practice grounds and getting 18-27 holes in. I should be able to squeeze in at least another round or practice session there per week as well. All aspects of the game need work, but getting more reps than ever will work to improve the game more than ever.

3. This is only going to be my 3rd full year of immersing myself in this game and I am very comfortable with my grip, setup, posture and swing path right now. Having those sound fundamentals will allow for the little tweeks and developing more feel and confidence over the ball.

Just play a lot of golf. I've pretty much reworked my work schedule to allow more time for golf. I am planning on attending the NE Ohio outing, plus Treetops May 20-22, on top of my weekly rounds/ range sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For right now while it's 9° outside, my routine involves time in the range trying to work on technique and trying to get in swing shape. I also am working on some putting practice in my house on the putting mat I got as a Christmas present.

Once the weather warms up I will be outside as much as possible to prepare my game for this event. This will include trips to the range to work on my swing and chipping and putting on the putting green. I also want to take what I am doing on the range and replicate it as much as possible when I do make it out on the course.

Like my old football coach use to say "perfect practice makes perfect"

Lots of putting and inside work till the snow melts. Then start the season with a ton of range work, making sure to groove a driver I can count on which was the thing that got me in trouble when it was off. That will slowly merge to lots of short game and a little on course. That will slowly merge to more course time and then I will start mixing in 7am tee times once the sun actually comes up by then to get the body used to it. Like I have said many other times I am going to work an amazing amount for this, and for the fact I love golfing.

Going to try and hit golf dome few times while weather is still poor, after that going to be practicing my short game at Barberton Brookside as they have enough room to do 40 yard and in shots. Figure If I can consistently get the ball close from there, I will save strokes and not have to putt the long ones. Will be trying to play at least once a week for the year, need to work on the long irons although been hitting 3 wood and hybrid better

I am planning more range time this spring. Most likely a couple of days a week at lunch time I will get out and hit a few. Putting has been a focus of mine this winter. Working on a new stroke path and my posture. I can see that paying off in the long run. Lessons....ummm not a chance. A call to Dad usually does the trick haha!

Well looks like Rozo used golden ticket on the Gauntlet

I want to play in an alternate shot format so bad. This event is seriously all I can think about!

Lots of putting for me. As well as sim time. Will be playing outside as often as possible. Plus I will be starting the Sklz golf strong work out regimen as soon as it arrives. And lots of range time when the weather changes.

Last edited:
when will the butt hurt cannon make another appearance in this thread? :p

when will the butt hurt cannon make another appearance in this thread? :p
After MI has a long drive home thinking about the fact they got steamrolled

After MI has a long drive home thinking about the fact they got steamrolled

Do I think team Ohio has a chance to win, of course, you guys will have a solid team. But steamrolling team MI, well it's just not going to happen.

Do I think team Ohio has a chance to win, of course, you guys will have a solid team. But steamrolling team MI, well it's just not going to happen.

Question is whether you get steamrolled or lose by half a point the drive will feel the same.

But what I do know it's going to be one hell of a time. May be a #THPRegionalRivalry but that only means it will be fun.

Question is whether you get steamrolled or lose by half a point the drive will feel the same.

But what I do know it's going to be one hell of a time. May be a #THPRegionalRivalry but that only means it will be fun.

Well I do agree, it's going to be one hell of a time. Lucky there will be a fun round on Sunday so the losers won't have to sit thinking of the loss too long.

I plan on doing something golf-related every day:

1) Practice putting - I already do this daily on my birdieball green. Just making sure my swing has good pace and is in balance.

2) Weight loss/nutrition: Down almost 15 lb from January, but keeping up with this should help with flexibility & strength too.

3) Strength/fitness: a) 3-6 weekly workouts (short but intense). I just ordered some resistance tubing & I'm going to add a golf handle So I can do golf-specific workouts similar to this product. Also doing weight training fo general fitness. And starting to use Roger Frederick's golf stretching/yoga program to increase my flexibility.

4) Drills: My biggest swing flaw right now is not getting my weight transferred into my front leg early enough & there's not enough snap or power at impact - and the club path tends to revert to an out-to-in, over-the-top move. So I'm doing slow motion drills to ingrain the feeling of getting my path inside out and syncing up my legs & weight shift better. I know Harvey Penick was a big believer in the value of doing this type of drill. We'll see. I'll add other indoor drills when I can, but I plan on doing the slow-mo swings daily.

5) Practice: I'll be signing up for an indoor simulator league soon. It's run by my coach, so it basically includes free lessons. I will probably pay for a few lessons too.

6) Range time: Once the weather breaks, I'll be practicing as much as I can with my new wedges & getting the partial wedge shot distances dialed in. I really want the confidence to know that "this swing with this wedge goes ___ yards". I'm tired of guessing - it's time to be able to throw darts at the flag from 100 yards & in.

7) Rounds: Hopefully enough THPers will brave colder conditions to keep playing outside whenever we can.

down for a cold weather round somewhere between us when the snow melts so I can give you your 6 iron back

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Since I've been playing 18 almost weekly or hitting a range almost weekly....as soon as this BS snow is gone it will be go time. I plan on multiple weekly range sessions working primarily on short game 100yds in and putting. Not to mention a minimum of 27 holes @ Firestone every Friday/Saturday. Acknowledging what I lacked last year is a big part too. Combine all that with new grips, Loft/Lie adjustments, a swing evaluation etc. I will be ready Cap'n....

Back