THP Regional Rivalry - NY/NJ vs New England - Sponsored By True Temper

i just put up some days off on the work calendar surrounding this event. I am assuming someone will be doing unofficial thp golfing

If I have the privilege of being picked, I'll be heading up there Thursday night and getting in a round on that Friday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Next week off. I will be getting some range time in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Describe your game, you know about ours.

I'll let any of the folks I've played with disagree with me on this, but I'd describe my game as pretty consistent, but prone to blow-up holes, largely due to getting in trouble off the tee. While my driving has gone from a complete liability to pretty decent, it has the penchant to disappear for a few holes at a time, so at that point it's time to scramble. I'm not someone who tries to move the ball left to right - high and straight is my game with my irons. At a 12-ish handicap, I try to simplify things as much as possible. One of the things I've worked on, and I think succeeded with, in recent years (and THP has probably been the biggest help with this) is staying positive through the rough stretches.

how afraid are you of getting rolled? of facing me? of picking the wrong person? of dealing with the hurt feelings after picks are made?

Not afraid of any of this. Though if we're going with #realtalk for a minute, and putting aside the trash talk, I think #3 and #4 are connected. Worrying about the last one opens a captain up for making a wrong pick.

challenges will come and go. Here are some, with not all tackled by the captains themselves.

1)Challenge 1 - create some excitement for the event. I think that has happened already and we will see how much with signups on Monday. Of course that one doesn't end then, needs to keep up all the way through the final shot.

2)Challenge 2 - get a team. Signups Monday, and then for two weeks need to sit back and stew over who will be the captain's picks. Those are going to be difficult to do.

3)Challenge 3 - get team to feel like a team. Might not be as difficult as a nationwide team. Being a region it's much more possible to get together and tee it up.

4)Challenge 4 - Make sure said team is up to the task of being active on the forum, both in and out of the RR thread.

5)Challenge 5 - Put together pairings that I feel will succeed.

6)Challenge 6 - Destroy MPeterson

Of those, the biggest challenge right now is #2. The easiest is probably #6.

I agree with 1-5 completely. But it sounds like my biggest challenge is going to be managing ddec's expectations.

Not afraid of any of this. Though if we're going with #realtalk for a minute, and putting aside the trash talk, I think #3 and #4 are connected. Worrying about the last one opens a captain up for making a wrong pick.

I agree with 1-5 completely. But it sounds like my biggest challenge is going to be managing ddec's expectations.

Take him out for ice cream after the beat down

Take him out for ice cream after the beat down

I'm pretty sure Dean loves ice cream. It will help ease the pain

I'll let any of the folks I've played with disagree with me on this, but I'd describe my game as pretty consistent, but prone to blow-up holes, largely due to getting in trouble off the tee. While my driving has gone from a complete liability to pretty decent, it has the penchant to disappear for a few holes at a time, so at that point it's time to scramble. I'm not someone who tries to move the ball left to right - high and straight is my game with my irons. At a 12-ish handicap, I try to simplify things as much as possible. One of the things I've worked on, and I think succeeded with, in recent years (and THP has probably been the biggest help with this) is staying positive through the rough stretches.

Totally agree 100%

When you're looking at pairings what attributes (golf skills)are you looking at to complement each other?

Also are you looking at personality traits for pairings the same way?

Honestly? I think that really depends on the potential partnerships. There are some ways to pair people that I think work well - shorter, more accurate drivers with guys who bomb the ball, for instance. But, there may be other things (like personality and just how guys play together, as you mentioned) that might make pairings that make more sense. That's one of the things that are unique about this event. I want to get a few rounds in with my team (or at least parts of the team) before the event, and because of the regional aspect I don't think that will be a problem.

Honestly? I think that really depends on the potential partnerships. There are some ways to pair people that I think work well - shorter, more accurate drivers with guys who bomb the ball, for instance. But, there may be other things (like personality and just how guys play together, as you mentioned) that might make pairings that make more sense. That's one of the things that are unique about this event. I want to get a few rounds in with my team (or at least parts of the team) before the event, and because of the regional aspect I don't think that will be a problem.

I think the fact that you will probably play with everyone on the team at some point is huge in this matter.

I think the fact that you will probably play with everyone on the team at some point is huge in this matter.

That's going to be one aspect of RR that is going to be great

That's going to be one aspect of RR that is going to be great

Totally. Huge part of it.

Look at you afraid of competition. Trying to take the easy way out. We shall eat there after our course preview round in the spring.

These teams will both bring it, I'm sure. There will be no easy way out.

But that burger will be delicious.

agree on both accounts. Is it Monday yet?

agree on both accounts. Is it Monday yet?

#cantwait - related news- school vacation week means tons of THP for this guy!

Really looking forward to Monday and beyond.

Speaking of food...

What's your take on pre and in-round food? Are you a "food is fuel" guy who goes egg white omelet, fruit and gluten free low carb toast with a side of oj, or the bring on the bacon and loaded steak and egg sandwich? Granola bars, fruit and turkey jerky on course, or hot dogs and chips at the turn?

I love food!!!

However on course I'll either do just a PB and J sandwich some energy jelly beans or some krave jerky and trail mix. Just enough for energy but not something too heavy.

Mmmm...food. Hearty breakfast... Granola bars on the course. Wash it down with a shot of Fireball to loosen up.

Really looking forward to Monday and beyond.

Speaking of food...

What's your take on pre and in-round food? Are you a "food is fuel" guy who goes egg white omelet, fruit and gluten free low carb toast with a side of oj, or the bring on the bacon and loaded steak and egg sandwich? Granola bars, fruit and turkey jerky on course, or hot dogs and chips at the turn?

I think the last time you and I teed it up together I warmed up with cider donuts. That worked well haha

I think the last time you and I teed it up together I warmed up with cider donuts. That worked well haha

I'm drooling on my keyboard thinking of those things! They were fantastic.

Monday can't come soon enough! Love to see the Captains confidence in what will be an incredible NY/NJ squad no matter how the names are spelled on the roster!

Excited for Monday. All the talk makes it that much more fun. Hoping to meet some of you soon, to put faces to the characters.

Back