THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Match is all square heading into 18 and you have been hitting the ball good but a few swings got away from you during the round. Your opponent tees off first and hits a wayward shot that will leave a tough recovery shot. Do you stick with the club you brought to the the or do you go back for a club and play a less aggressive shot?

i am sticking with whatever I chose to play when I got out if the cart.

Dance with the one you brung! It was going to be the club if your opponent split the fairway anyway. Plus a good tee shot might force him to try a hero shot and get into even more trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Match is all square heading into 18 and you have been hitting the ball good but a few swings got away from you during the round. Your opponent tees off first and hits a wayward shot that will leave a tough recovery shot. Do you stick with the club you brought to the the or do you go back for a club and play a less aggressive shot?

I drive it down the throat it is the way I play and I won't let up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I stick with the gameplan. He has to try and play a tough recovery shot while I'll most likely be in the fairway hitting an iron shot for an eagle. Changing your mind at the last minute can get you pumped up, but in turn kick the adrenaline up probably causing me TO make a bad swing.

I'm going with my first choice and not look back!

Stay with the game plan, execute one shot at a time. My opponent may still make par or better. I always assume my opponent will hit a great shot so I don' t get surprised or change anything I'm currently doing.

This is a position hole. Even though opponent is in a bad position, I can't play safe on this hole. I am sticking with my game plan since you have to be in the right spot to hit the 18th green in regulation.

hole18.jpg

DMV Hopefuls, it's been a little over a month since I sent out the questions. How did you make out with moving towards achieving your goals? Weather is not a road block, it's only an obstacle. If your hungry enough you can and will find a way to feast.

My goals were:

1. Iron play. I can hit the irons well, but my game is driven by hitting greens.
2. Short game. This is my nemesis on the golf course and can result in bogeys or worse depending on how on or off it is.

I have been working on my putting and hitting my line. Switched to left hand low which seems to be a good move for a left side dominant player. I am getting a better roll and eliminated the right hand taking over the stroke. Has impacted distance control a little, but that should come back pretty quickly.
Been working on short game; specifically chipping. I have been working a little indoors with foam balls but that doesn't really give the same feedback as a real ball. Got to a real green last Sunday and spent a couple of hours on the chipping green and I seemed to make some progress. A ways to go but I am happy with the direction.

Wanted to work on my irons, but haven't specifically focussed on practicing them. have gotten a round in and hit 10 greens which is a couple better than I have done in the past. Not bad considering the top pro averaged 13 greens over the course of 2015.

Started tracking my stats via a strokes gained spreadsheet to evaluate my entire game. Only have a single round in the spreadsheet, but as I get more rounds played I can start to focus my practice. In my first round tracked compared to a PGA pro, I lost 2.1 shots off the tee, 4.1 on approach shots, 1.7 on the short game, and 3.6 on the putting green.

Thanks cnosil for posting that hole. Based on the tough approach. I want as short as club as possible going into that green, so I'm taking driver with a high fade like a boss. Well as much of a boss that a 220 yard drive can be :D

Sticking with the KISS method on this one. Don't let my brain get in the way.

This is a position hole. Even though opponent is in a bad position, I can't play safe on this hole. I am sticking with my game plan since you have to be in the right spot to hit the 18th green in regulation.

hole18.jpg

Bank it off the rocks behind the green to 3 feet is the play. :act-up:

Swing what I brought. I try not to let my opponent's play dictate what I do (too much).

hole18.jpg
264 to the end of the fairway ... 3 wood, easy wedge to the green, putt for birdie. No sense in trying to hit it further down the narrow fairway ... too much trouble for a few extra yards.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks cnosil for posting that hole. Based on the tough approach. I want as short as club as possible going into that green, so I'm taking driver with a high fade like a boss. Well as much of a boss that a 220 yard drive can be :D

Plus with 18 being the second most difficult hole on the back, I might be giving up a stroke!

DMV Hopefuls, it's been a little over a month since I sent out the questions. How did you make out with moving towards achieving your goals? Weather is not a road block, it's only an obstacle. If your hungry enough you can and will find a way to feast.
I've done the best I could given my circumstances with work and lots of travel. My focus has been short game and I'm constantly chipping and putting at home or in my yard. My wife runs a daycare so I set the toys up in the yard and try to hit my target 5 times in a row before switching. With different lies and whatnot I'm seeing how eye opening my short game really is and it's motivated me. My only round was in San Diego with rental clubs and even with unfamiliar sticks I'm slowly feeling improvement.

Plus with 18 being the second most difficult hole on the back, I might be giving up a stroke!
I'd most likely be getting a pop there :bashful:

Wow... Regardless of the tees, I'll be aiming for a 100y shot to the green. That will probably mean a chip to the edge of the water on my second shot.

hole18.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hole18.jpg

The first thing I did was to look at the hole yardage. It would be great if we were playing the white tees, but even for me, while nearing my limitations, the blues are doable. I have no apprehensions regarding my ability to hit the fairway and having a second shot within my capabilities. Regardless of the distance, regardless of the pin position, the target for my second shot will be the left edge of the green. This way, the odds are good that the ball will end up on dry land giving me the ability to get down in two. AKA-a par.

As it relates to my interactions and strategies with a partner, there should be sufficient opportunities between the team selection and the event, for my partner and I to play at least a couple of rounds together. We will learn each others game, we will see how we fit, so to speak. Accordingly, our approach and strategies should be developed long before the actual event.

Last edited:
The first thing I did was to look at the hole yardage. It would be great if we were playing the white tees, but even for me, while nearing my limitations, the blues are doable. I have no apprehensions regarding my ability to hit the fairway and having a second shot within my capabilities. Regardless of the distance, regardless of the pin position, the target for my second shot will be the left edge of the green. This way, the odds are good that the ball will end up on dry land giving me the ability to get down in two. AKA-a par.
Yeah the blue would be 4H or 5H territory, but still do-able especially with the way I've been hitting the D200 hybrid lately. I'd much prefer an 8i or less to the green though.

Things are going well! Down eight pounds as of this morning, increasing stability in knees (work in progress), and I feel much more confident with the putter in my hands. Next will be transitioning the putting to the course when the weather clears. Hoping to steal a round this weekend to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless I have just given away the last 3 hole, I am going to swung what I brung. Crush their soul and take the match 1 up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love reading all the different thoughts in here, good stuff guys.

As it relates to my interactions and strategies with a partner, there should be sufficient opportunities between the team selection and the event, for my partner and I to play at least a couple of rounds together. We will learn each others game, we will see how we fit, so to speak. Accordingly, our approach and strategies should be developed long before the actual event.

I would hope (and expect) that rounds would be played with the entire team as well as those who didn't get in on this.

I'm not planning on really thinking pairing till at least July 4th. And if I do, I'm most likely not going to show my hand.

Back