Do Wedge Shafts Really Matter?

At the end of this video, Roger talks about specialty wedge shafts and dismisses the spin differences as "noise", 250 rpm difference on a shot that's spinning at 10,000 rpm. He's a good guy to have on my side for this topic.

Thanks. I did watch it yesterday and thought his answer was great. Basically the answer is yes and no!

I say this because wedge shafts like anything else we can overthink. If we get out of our way we can play looser and better IMO[/QUOTE]

love his comment, i think that is most cases, a good swing trumps the best shaft any day, at least for people who do not play professionally

I've been reading through this thread with a lot of interest since I tore up my rotator cuff a year ago mountain biking. This has left me with basically a half swing on everything from driver to putter (lol). I went to regular flex graphite shafts 6/7 years ago and play ProForce V2 in my irons including wedges, except for my 60* that has steel. My shoulder is not real happy after 18 holes right now and my distance and height stinks.

Unfortunately I think I will have to go to a Senior/Lite shaft in my next set of irons. I've already gone there for my driver and fairways. My concern would be getting such a soft shaft in a GW and SW. I feel that there would be too much flex to have any control.

I appreciate any advice. I'm 64 and more of a recreational golfer.

John

I've been reading through this thread with a lot of interest since I tore up my rotator cuff a year ago mountain biking. This has left me with basically a half swing on everything from driver to putter (lol). I went to regular flex graphite shafts 6/7 years ago and play ProForce V2 in my irons including wedges, except for my 60* that has steel. My shoulder is not real happy after 18 holes right now and my distance and height stinks.

Unfortunately I think I will have to go to a Senior/Lite shaft in my next set of irons. I've already gone there for my driver and fairways. My concern would be getting such a soft shaft in a GW and SW. I feel that there would be too much flex to have any control.

I appreciate any advice. I'm 64 and more of a recreational golfer.

John

Have you had surgery yet? I tore my shoulder up really bad 6 years ago and suffered for 18 months before having surgery. 5 months after surgery I was 100% but I'm still doing exercises a few days each week to keep it 100%.

Have you had surgery yet? I tore my shoulder up really bad 6 years ago and suffered for 18 months before having surgery. 5 months after surgery I was 100% but I'm still doing exercises a few days each week to keep it 100%.

Ironically, I shattered my clavicle a few months before my shoulder and had a plate and 11 screws put in. As soon as I could get back on the bike I clipped a tree with my shoulder and I went back to my orthopedic guy and got an MRI. It is not a complete tear. I did PT, need to be a little more diligent on my shoulder exercises. Since I can function well enough without pain, and have good motion without pain for "most" things, he feels that it will deteriorate over time and then he will re-attach everything. In his words, we'll need to do it in 5 years, well now 4, I guess. But your post has gotten me thinking about moving it up.

At this time, however, I take a half backswing and for shots everything is fine, except on bad miss-hits. But my shoulder does tire and ache as I go through a round.

Back to the wedges, right I am looking at the Callaway XR OS irons as they have reasonable lofts and are high launching. I am leaning towards the Project X SD Lite (A) shafts. But I might go with a Regular PX SD in the GW and SW. I'm really not sure it there is that much difference. The PX SD is the standard shaft in the XR and I have taken some test swings in both A and R. I have not seen that much difference between the A and R except for miss-hits where there is less jarring on my shoulder with the A flex.

John

Do Wedge Shafts Really Matter?

Best set of wedges that I ever owned was a set of Mizunos with Stiff Graphite Shafts. I have looked to replicate that when I ran in to a Wilson Tour Van. They made a custom set for me with same Stiff Graphite shaft that I have in my D100's. I just love them. I know how the shaft will react with all on iron clubs now. It can be a little tough in heavy rough, but I'm a big guy and I just muscle through it.

As i'm replacing most of my bag this spring, i will be going with matched shafts for my wedges. My irons will have KBS Tour in them, and i want consistency as much as possible.

Back