Heavy Head or Heavy Grip.

Heavy head, it just makes the putter more solid feeling to me

I know this won't sound right. but I had a putter made out of a white hot broom stick center shaft 52 inch with a 78* lie 450 gram head == cut it to 28 inches put a 17 inch Winn grip and with the weight of the grip and lead tape under it that totals 160 grams == the thing is great for me will be in my bag from now on.View attachment 23536

Last edited:
Heavy head. I use a Jumbo Lite grip for this purpose.

If I had to choose between the two, then heavier head.
But my personal putter was fitted with additional weights below my hands as well as additional weight in the head because that provided me the best control and touch and feel for my putting stroke.

Pretty good opinions here, what about preferred grip weight, how many grams? Or Head weight?

As a preference, heavy headed putter. Though, if you buy a putter that's not as head heavy, you can always counter weight the putter with a heavy insert grip.

I know this won't sound right. but I had a putter made out of a white hot broom stick center shaft 52 inch with a 78* lie 450 gram head == cut it to 28 inches put a 17 inch Winn grip and with the weight of the grip and lead tape under it that totals 160 grams == the thing is great for me will be in my bag from now on.View attachment 23536

pic posted

Ok guys this is my first thread to start, this is a subject that runs through my mind constantly. Would you rather have the putter head heavy in feel or more weight up in the grip, hands. What is your preference and why?

In the past I always wanted a light putter head and more weight up at the grip, but playing with some THP members last year I noticed a more weight obsession at the head. I play on pretty slow small greens in comparison to normal big town fast and large, and wonder if more weight at the head would be smarter.
Lets hear your thoughts.

I have recently added weight to my putter head and have really enjoyed the benefits of a smoother stroke with what seems like a bit more power behind the ball.

Not to say that having a heavier grip doesn't add balance, but I've had better luck with my personal stroke using a lighter grip.

Back