Hole-In-One vs. Course Record

• Total voters
Course record and it isn't close. HIO's are cool, and I'd be excited to get one, but if I got one tomorrow I wouldn't feel like it really made me a better golfer. If I was able to have the course record at ANY course, I would feel like that was a MAJOR accomplishment.

Id take the course record. Mainly because I feel as though it isn't luck. you have to be playing your game, and the round of your life. Ill take it

Give me a hole in one because that is something no one can take from you. Course record could go down the next day.

I might get a hole-in-one someday. I will never have the course record. At least not for LOW score!

Both would be great to have, but I would take the course record.

I know lot's of good golfers who have never had one. They say the odds for an average golfer are about 1 in 12,000 and for a low index golfer, 1 in 5,000. If a low index golfer played 60 rounds a year that's about 250 par 3's so statistically a low index golfer should get one about every 20 years, and an average golfer should get one about every 50 years, assuming 60 rounds per year.

What I don't get it why I have holed out a couple dozen times from 125+ yards, most recently on January 31st, but it almost never happens on a par 3.
So you're saying there's a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Course record hands down.

Course record - nothing else makes sense. A hole-in-one is just dumb luck - anyone can make one. Shooting a course record means you are a consistently good player. I don't see how anyone could choose any different. I have 2 aces and I've never had a handicap lower than 10. As a 10 handicap, I've never even come within a light year of a course record.

A course record will be broken over time a hio never goes away. I don't think I would complain with either though.

I have a HIO. It was total luck. I'll never luck into a course record. That's the one I want.

A course record will be broken over time a hio never goes away. I don't think I would complain with either though.

The fact that you broke the course record and held it for a period doesn't go away. Just because you have been passed doesn't diminish your accomplishment. That's like saying that the team that won the Super Bowl 10 years ago is somehow less because they haven't won it again since then. Not a perfect analogy, but still - if you hold the course record on any course that's been open for more than a couple of weeks, then you have made a statement about your golf game.

I can, and I did on my second one, make a terrible shot accidentally fall in the hole for an ace. No particular credit to me aside from the fact that I just happened to be there at exactly the right moment in time for a serendipitous occurrence.

The fact that you broke the course record and held it for a period doesn't go away. Just because you have been passed doesn't diminish your accomplishment. That's like saying that the team that won the Super Bowl 10 years ago is somehow less because they haven't won it again since then. Not a perfect analogy, but still - if you hold the course record on any course that's been open for more than a couple of weeks, then you have made a statement about your golf game.

I can, and I did on my second one, make a terrible shot accidentally fall in the hole for an ace. No particular credit to me aside from the fact that I just happened to be there at exactly the right moment in time for a serendipitous occurrence.

Sorry didn't realize this was the debate thread and my opinion was wrong.

I'm so far from a course record I stand by going with something attainable.

Sorry didn't realize this was the debate thread and my opinion was wrong.

I'm so far from a course record I stand by going with something attainable.

Whatever. I wasn't criticizing, I was continuing a discussion. The question isn't "What are you capable of doing?" I read it as "Which would be the better accomplishment?" I would rather be an accomplished player than a lucky one.

Course record - nothing else makes sense. A hole-in-one is just dumb luck - anyone can make one. Shooting a course record means you are a consistently good player. I don't see how anyone could choose any different. I have 2 aces and I've never had a handicap lower than 10. As a 10 handicap, I've never even come within a light year of a course record.

Because I just play for fun, none of my score cards are official. Beating a course record (or shooting below 70) is not an immediate goal of mine, I'm just out for a good workout, fresh air and to hang out with my buddies.
A hole-in-one would be the pinnacle of achievement for what I think golf is worth. And to see the looks on the faces of everyone I'm playing with :p

I would take a hole in one in a heart beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Course record, all day every day.

Course records are less numerous, demonstrate obvious skill, and people will buy you a drink instead of the other way around.
I have 5 HIOs. Some more elegantly hit than others. Yes, they're nice, and it's fun. I'd trade them all in a heartbeat for the course record.

Only course records I'll ever hold would involve "Loudest Profanity" or "Most Abject Look of Despair".
What he said, minus 4 HIO's. Now a course record, definitely shows much more skill than a HIO.

Not even close. Course record. That means I hit a ton of good shots, not just one lucky one.

Because I just play for fun, none of my score cards are official. Beating a course record (or shooting below 70) is not an immediate goal of mine, I'm just out for a good workout, fresh air and to hang out with my buddies.
A hole-in-one would be the pinnacle of achievement for what I think golf is worth. And to see the looks on the faces of everyone I'm playing with :p

If I was with the right group of friends, this would never stop being talked about. I would buy the drinks for that.

I'll take the course record any day at any course. as it shows how good your game can be and is.

Ill take the course record. It means ive played some amazing golf, and could stand for a while.

Easy call for me, course record.

When I was 16 or 17, playing in a 9 hole high school match, I was 5 under through 4 holes. I specifically remember thinking that I was going to own the HS record for lowest 9 holes, the course record for the front 9, and potentially my HS divisions (or states record) if I kept it up...I ended up shooting 39.

Point is: a hole in one is a one shot thing, a course record is a battle of mental fortitude and an insane level of sustained play at a high level.

Since I don't have the game for a course record I will take a hole in one. Almost had one the other day.
91940e113ace4ddd328a91ca6c4b2c0d.jpg

Last edited:
Have 2 aces, but no course records. Missed 9 putts inside 12 feet in a round of 68, on a course with record of 65. Still think about all the missed putts. I would trade 1 ace for that record, but would love 1 of each.

Back