Do you take lessons? Who with?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
This is just an "I'm curious" one for me as I have finally decided to go all in and be committed to this route. I know many here at THP do take lessons, so I thought it could be kind of a cool thread.

This one is just a "I'm curious" one for me as I have finally decided to go all in and be committed to this route. I know many here at THP do take lessons, so I thought it could be kind of a cool thread.
I am the same way. This year I am working with my club pro and sticking with it all season

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes - Matt Vinge at TopGolf in WoodDale. Been very happy with our progress. He makes me send him videos of every range session I have without him. Keeps me honest.

Well the only lesson I've had was an informal one when I took Wardy out golfing, I will be doing lessons at Golftech with a guy named Alex in March.... although the one lesson I had with Wardy payed off tremendously (one simple thing... and now I go from shooting a 100 AVG... to 87, 84, 81, 84 the last 4 times I golfed)

I used to and like to. I bought a 10 lesson pack from GolfTec and used 6 or 7 of the lessons. Last year it was either play or go take lessons and my swing was feeling just fine so I played. I will definitely go take a couple lessons before our season starts so I can make sure I am good to go. Lessons are the best investment for one's game IMO.

Starting up later this month. Per the recommendation of a few THPERS and a guy here at work

Scott Galayde at Windmill Golf Center
http://windmillgolfcenter.com/

I had a good GolfTec instructor. I wasn't sure about him at first, but after a couple of visits and instant improvement, I knew he was the guy for me.

I don't but want to take them....if anyone knows of a good teaching pro in RI or SE MA please let me know.

Stuart Smart, RedTail Golf Center, Portland, OR.

I've been taking lessons with one of the local guys since about 2014. It's been really helpful with consistency, and trusting my swing. He's not big on theory - just making small changes to my swing to get me in better spots, and he's has also been really helpful with approach.

Love it guys!

I'm starting with Tracy Phillips next Saturday for a "trial" lesson and then almost assuredly booking a 5-pack with him. He's got quite the story, and is constantly in GD's top instructors for OK (and has been top 50 in the US in other publications). He's worked with Haney, Toski, Kostis, and even Harvey Penick! Pretty cool "update" here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_e1c231cc-97b3-5b3a-9842-1fae63531105.html

I really enjoyed my lessons with Des Mahoney at Centennial Golf Course in Oak Ridge, TN when I took them two years ago. If I was going to take more, I would certainly go back to him, but I can't justify the cost or travel time when I'm barely playing or practicing. Lessons without practice time in between are a waste of money for me.

I do not take regular lessons... this is something I hope that changes in 2016. I have taken a couple from a local instructor that I really click with, Bobby Lopez, at Pendleton Golf Club.

I've never taken lessons but my son has a great coach and so I just watch my son's lesson every week and pay very close attention. Between last winter when he started with this coach and the end of this past summer, I bet I benefited at least a couple of strokes. I'm hoping that another 5-6 months of lessons for my son will get me down another couple..... If not, I might have to start taking lessons for myself or my son will be able to beat me.

I take them periodically from the local pros, need to get into a better habit/routine and work with them more, the pros know what they're talking about, and the hands on approach really helps, just wish mine used more tech, cameras, etc.

Im planning on investigating lessons from Golftec here. I've watched him for s few moments with other students and like the way he communicates.

Im planning on investigating lessons from Golftec here. I've watched him for s few moments with other students and like the way he communicates.

Which location?

Never had a lesson. Watch a lot of youtube tho....does that count?

I've never had like a lesson plan, constant sessions or anything like that. I've worked with a friend of mine who's a PGA pro (now lives near Indianapolis) a couple times when I get way outta whack. Luckily, he knows my swing & my game pretty well, so I can just text him if I need a quick fix. I'm pretty much self taught, but I've always wondered how much I would/could benefit from consistent work with someone.

Greg Wilson at Cedar Creek Golf course in Ottumwa Iowa. I have taken 3 lessons with him and while my score hasn't improved a lot he really helped me with striking the ball. I plan on taking some more lessons with him this year. I am also going to let me son take some lessons form him as well.

Here and there I take lessons from Jeff McMahon at Pro Golf in Bellingham, WA. Really good guy. It's an indoor lesson, but he uses lots of cameras and really illustrates what he's saying very well.

For the last couple years i have been using Mark Russo. Last year I switched up to Jim Estes to get a different perspective but cost and travel time was a little too much so I'm going back to Mark.

My coach is Jesse Struebing, who is the golf coach at MIT. Here is his website: http://www.golflessonsboston.com/

He teaches indoors at the MIT Rec Center, but I've also had a 9 hole playing lesson with him. He's very technologically oriented with his teaching, but also works with a player's natural swing.

I have just booked a lesson with someone fairly local to me so will see how it goes. Hoping it goes well and he can put me on the right path (literally) to fixing my swing problem that has come back with a vengeance it seems

Back