Putter Shafts Do Make a Difference

Anyone still using a mamiya putter shaft?

I just built a putter with one of these shafts. I used the same head with a Nippon N.S. Pro shaft but with a different grip. I guess I have to change the grip to get a fair comparison.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Putter shaft flex is important, IMO: softer is better for miss hits, stiffer is laser straight but you must hit center more often. Some use a S300 4i shaft, I did use a X100 3i shaft in a old brass blade putter once that worked very well, till it went missing on a flight :(

@ProZoneGolf That sounds interesting. How many layers of extra tape do you need to get at least .580" shaft OD if you shorten a 3i shaft to 33" or 34"?

@ProZoneGolf That sounds interesting. How many layers of extra tape do you need to get at least .580" shaft OD if you shorten a 3i shaft to 33" or 34"?

The step starts at about the last 2.5 inches of the putter grip at 34, just below the hands...not really a problem with a SS, with a pistol grip perhaps 2-3 wraps below the steps. Or you could go R300 5i or FCM 6.0 3i which is stepless. I like the DG shafts

I am working on refinishing a TP Mills TPM9. Just a winter snow project. But i pulled the shaft and was going to replace it with a stiff graphite shaft. The premise was that fishing poles rely on graphite for best feel and sensitivity. Why not a putter? Anyway, my issue is the tip size for that putter head which is .025. Also the putter was a salvation army purchase 1.75. I haunt the flea markets and thrift stores for interesting clubs and components. I could not find a graphite shaft which would work in that putter head. It currently has a steel stepped shaft.

Back