Golfing With GoPro

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure there are other threads on the GoPro and I've seen some pretty incredible photos by THP at events, but I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on whether they have one, whether they use it for golf/events, and whether it's worth the money to get one for memories. I've got a few courses on the radar for this year that are worth remembering and am curious as to whether the cell phone camera can capture it, or whether I should take the plunge on a GoPro.

Feed me.

Had 3, gave them away.
Dont like what they give in terms of use for golf. Now my new THP capturing device is a different animal.

Had 3, gave them away.
Dont like what they give in terms of use for golf. Now my new THP capturing device is a different animal.

I always feared battery life over anything else, even over actual usage. Seeing it attached to a giant brick of a battery really deterred me early on.

What would you suggest in replacement?

I have a go pro but I find myself not using it much. The quality of cellphone cameras and the convenience of not carrying an additional device seems to outweigh the pure performance of the gopro

I always feared battery life over anything else, even over actual usage. Seeing it attached to a giant brick of a battery really deterred me early on.

What would you suggest in replacement?

Depends for what use. GoPro convinced the world that they needed a device that for the most part is more about extreme sports and high level movement where cameras could not go before without a huge rig to secure them. The problem is, people found out they were not using them as much, so didnt upgrade each year like they do cell phones, etc. Hence the reason the company is plummeting.

It all comes down to use. The question I have is what would you use the GoPro for, that your cell phone or a regular camera wont be able to cover?

And I say this not as a knock on the devices, just the practicality of use overall vs the cost strictly in terms of golf as an individual.

Time. You just need time to use it correctly on the course for those great pictures you are looking for. I always bring mine in case I find myself in a very slow round and I can play around with it. I too have a pretty cool trip coming up that will allow me to use it more and capture some cool moments.

So is it necessary, no. Iphone's now are so good combined with a nice picture editor. But it would capture some nice photos that the iphone couldn't just based on it's aspect ratio.

Good Luck!

I also don't use my go pro much. When I first got it I would attach it to the cart and just let it run on a continuous video for the round then cut out pictures when I got home. That was far to time consuming and now I find I just use my cell phone unless at the range which is where I use the go pro the most (still not a lot)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends for what use. GoPro convinced the world that they needed a device that for the most part is more about extreme sports and high level movement where cameras could not go before without a huge rig to secure them. The problem is, people found out they were not using them as much, so didnt upgrade each year like they do cell phones, etc. Hence the reason the company is plummeting.

It all comes down to use. The question I have is what would you use the GoPro for, that your cell phone or a regular camera wont be able to cover?

And I say this not as a knock on the devices, just the practicality of use overall vs the cost strictly in terms of golf as an individual.

That's just it, I don't know. I've always gone with the cell phone cam because it takes pretty impressive cameras. I guess for the mount for a different perspective, but even that I'm not sure I'd ever bother.

That's just it, I don't know. I've always gone with the cell phone cam because it takes pretty impressive cameras. I guess for the mount for a different perspective, but even that I'm not sure I'd ever bother.

And your cell shoots in raw compared to many with iPhones like mine that are just not capable.
My new device adds the one thing the GoPro lacked and that is a Gimbal (although it can be added) for stability. So my videos riding around dont look like Im riding on horseback and I can speed up and slow down from there. I still dont think it works as well from a golf perspective, and GoPro uses pretty severe Fisheye, but they have their moments. I look at the cost and kind of shutter, especially knowing what is coming to market in terms of 360 coverage from companies like Nikon, DJI Osmo (which is my new device), etc.

Go Pro footage can be awesome, I used it for mountain bike riding and races and the footage was awesome...for an hour. Then, having to swap batteries, carry multiple batteries or an external charger just annoyed me.

Also, the video editing software is complete junk.

If you are looking for an action cam, I have been quite happy with my Garmin Virb, as it is waterproof without a case, has better battery life and just all around is a better action cam, IMO. Plus, I know a guy who is a Garmin dealer.

I've gotten some decent still shots from the course with mine. Besides that, I enjoy it for use with the boat and Jeep.

Go Pro footage can be awesome, I used it for mountain bike riding and races and the footage was awesome...for an hour. Then, having to swap batteries, carry multiple batteries or an external charger just annoyed me.

Also, the video editing software is complete junk.

If you are looking for an action cam, I have been quite happy with my Garmin Virb, as it is waterproof without a case, has better battery life and just all around is a better action cam, IMO. Plus, I know a guy who is a Garmin dealer.

I just watched a comparison of the Virb and the Hero 3, and it looks like the colour is a lot 'warmer' with the virb. You see the same results or was it just that review?

GoPro are also expensive. I recently picked up a Sony AS200-V with all the attachments for $250 and the thing is pretty awesome.

I think if you are looking for just pictures and some simple video thwn your phone will work just fine.

If you have more creative ideas for its use, such as self swing evaluations, creative placements, or some solo round fun then I think it is worth the investment.

The best perk IMO to the newer models is the fact that you can control it from your phone so you can just position it on a tee box on a tripod, set up and, check the shot in your phone.

If you only want it for golf related activities, then maybe its not for you.

FWIW here are my thoughts strictly as a golfer with a gopro (kind of a gadget guy but not as involved and knowledgeable about gadgets as others):

The first few rounds it was awesome, got some really good pics and videos. It was cool to edit videos, pull stills, and post away. Got a few really gorgeous shots with the gopro. It was also awesome to video my whole round out at Wolf Creek.

I haven't taken it on the course for months now. Here's why:

- taking shots from the same angles over and over gets old. the only real way to change angles is to buy accessories or have your playing partners act like cameramen while you are playing.

- still images from videos are not great quality, burst mode works best...but someone has to hit the shutter. thus...your buddies have to man the camera. or use the remote function on your phone. but then again, you can only do so many angles without looking like a goof ball on the course (or slowing down pace of play...or both)

- burst photos from my iphone are just as fast, better quality and if someone has to man the camera anyway...well, you get my point

- after a few days I hardly look at the videos and photos from the round anyway.

- overall dealing with the camera just became burdensome and really made me break focus on golfing...trying to snap pics and get videos (and keep up with the dang camera) made me rush my shots to get out of the way and not slow everyone down. I honestly think my game suffered from it.

I dont regret getting the gopro. I use it for other things I couldn't possibly use another camera for. however when it comes to golf I have found that using my phone is much easier for me.

your results may vary.

I have one that was bought with the intention to film some action shots on the course and to use for range time to video the swing as well as some other activities like snow boarding. I haven't used it much for golf and haven't been on the slopes in two years.

battery life is terrible especially when using Bluetooth. Not sure what I'm going to do with mine

And your cell shoots in raw compared to many with iPhones like mine that are just not capable.
My new device adds the one thing the GoPro lacked and that is a Gimbal (although it can be added) for stability. So my videos riding around dont look like Im riding on horseback and I can speed up and slow down from there. I still dont think it works as well from a golf perspective, and GoPro uses pretty severe Fisheye, but they have their moments. I look at the cost and kind of shutter, especially knowing what is coming to market in terms of 360 coverage from companies like Nikon, DJI Osmo (which is my new device), etc.

Just looked up that DJI Osmo. Pretty cool device.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black and I certainly do NOT use it as much as I though I would. I've recorded some range sessions and a few holes on the golf course, but nothing too serious. I blame guys like Chad Coleman who are masters at video editing. All their videos look awesome. I think it has more to do with that, editing then the device you're recording on.

After my post I decided to bring the GoPro today. Used wifi to control with my phone. Hoping for some good pics. Only went thru 1 and a half batteries and phone battery was good to go. Not too shabby really. Now to check out the pics when I get home

After my post I decided to bring the GoPro today. Used wifi to control with my phone. Hoping for some good pics. Only went thru 1 and a half batteries and phone battery was good to go. Not too shabby really. Now to check out the pics when I get home
I need to remember to do that more often, don't use it near enough.

I agree i don't use mine nearly as much as I thought I would. My wife purchased it for Xmas and I've used it on the course 4 times maybe? Have I done anything with or edited those photos? Nope. Shame on me.

I need to remember to do that more often, don't use it near enough.

I just looked thru the photos. Out of 400 only about 25 worth saving. They are just so repetitive. I did find a few new angles to try next time out for some variety but there are usually only 2 or 3 "wow" photos each time. And they usually aren't of my garbage swing. Haha

Did not end up buying one, but did get one in a trade from a THPer!!!!

Should be fun. We'll see just how much action this bad boy gets in documenting the golf season.

d0ce14b62ab403054b98c8ce33d943b4.jpg

Did not end up buying one, but did get one in a trade from a THPer!!!!

Should be fun. We'll see just how much action this bad boy gets in documenting the golf season.

I think you'll have a lot of fun using it!

I had every intention of having this out with the kiddos this weekend, but play was pretty packed and didn't want to slow anyone up, probably goes to show how not so convenient it would be to use for me, at least as of now, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into a round!

Back