Cancun Golf Courses

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There isn't too much on the forum about golf courses down in Canun, and with an upcoming vacation down there I thought I would start a thread.

What are your reviews and recommendations for golf down in Cancun?

I've only played the Moon Palace resort courses - it's been a decade but remember enjoying them and the design and conditions being great. The winds were insane however in all rounds I played and considering I live in Texas that is saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only played at the Moon Palace Golf Club, a Nicklaus signature design. They have 3 nines on site, Jungle, Lakes, and Dunes. In my two rounds there, I only played the Jungle and Lakes nines. The course was in great condition when I played in July, though it was quite hot in the sun. They have a great practice facility with a good short game area.
Fees are stupid expensive if you aren't staying at the resort. However, the fees include food and all the drinks you can have, and you pass by the "bar" a number of times during the round. If you aren't a guest at the resort, transportation to and from is and so included in the fees. If you're a resort guest, you can use your resort credits at the course, which ends up being a great deal, and there are also all you can play packages available. Keep an eye on your snacks, as the wildlife isn't shy about poking their heads into your cart and stealing your sandwich.

I thought the course was pretty fair and presented a good challenge to experienced golfers without punishing occasional golfers too much. My only complaint was that I had never seen so many drives land in the fairway only to have them end up in the jungle that lines most of the holes.

I can post pictures later, as I don't have many available at the office.

Father in Law was just there last week. He played Playa Car and Playa Paraiso (Iberostar course from Big Break)... He really liked the Playa Paraiso course, and the Playa Car was okay but he got stuck with some a-holes... For what he had to pay, i'd probably have gone to El Cameleon as well.

I was there for Christmas last year but a little bit further south towards Playa Del Carmen. I played El Cameleon, Playa Paraiso, and Grand Coral twice while I was down there.

All three were very nice with solid warm up areas, great conditions, and fun layouts. At Cameleon you are paying extra for the fact that the PGA holds an event there, the course itself isn't that much better than the other options. Playa Paraiso was also very nice but when we were there the pace of play was a little slow. I think we paid $200+ for Cameleon and around $150 for Iberostar Playa Paraiso...very expensive.

Our favorite place to play from an overall perspective (keeping price in mind) was Grand Coral. We booked it through GolfNow both times for around $70 USD per player, teeing off around 1:00pm. This included a warm up bucket and power cart. We had the option of booking through our resort and it would have included a ride to and from the course, but the cost jumped up to around $125 per player I think. The clubhouse there is minimal and it's just a small little operation, but still has a grass range and a nice practice green. The layout was great with some fun and challenging holes, conditions were right up there with the other two we played, and both times we were there we had the entire course to ourselves, or at least it felt like it.

Here are some pics from Grand Coral. I thought I had more pics of the others but I can't find them.
par 3
72f08cd9b8ec55348fbdf5cb2799ed18.jpg

#18 Tee
d094ae3b0fba9ac67dba4d6648abe611.jpg

Back