Do You Know Your Driving Distance?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive been around THP a long time and played with tons of THPers both at THP Events and outside of there. Two things are always accurate.

1. Playing golf with THPers at a THP Event is simply better than playing any other golf.
2. People generally do not know how far they hit the ball on average at least according to verbal then testing on FlightScope.

Now part of that reason is because its not an easy number to know accurately because stores are not always accurate and courses seem to skip the club part nowadays.

So the question I have, is do you know how far you drive the ball? And how did you come up with that number for the average?

Yes. And I have that number from on course play as well as flightscope at events last year. It's been pretty consistent the past year.

Yes, I do. How? Looked at carry distances on courses with no roll and launch monitors, etc.

I will never see more than 235 of carry, I know that.

ETA: average is 215 or so carry.

I did - there are a few holes at my course where I knew because I got no roll out.
I changed clubs - now I have an idea of total, but not much idea of carry.
If I were to guess, it would be in the 230 yd range, but I am sure that I am wrong more often than I am right.

My Game Golf tells me I suck at driving. And while it doesn't factor in carry versus roll, it does tell me I certainly do not bomb it 275+ very often.

Kind of. I know how far I hit in simulators, and from the few times I've been on a launch monitor, but it's like a fish story, every time I remember the number, it gets artificially higher and higher…

I'm pretty sure I don't know. I've gone into stores and been told certain numbers, but I always question the accuracy. That's why I'm making it a goal to get to one of these THP events soon. For both points that JB made!

yes, my garmin s6 tells me every drive.

Ive been around THP a long time and played with tons of THPers both at THP Events and outside of there. Two things are always accurate.

1. Playing golf with THPers at a THP Event is simply better than playing any other golf.
2. People generally do not know how far they hit the ball on average at least according to verbal then testing on FlightScope.

Now part of that reason is because its not an easy number to know accurately because stores are not always accurate and courses seem to skip the club part nowadays.

So the question I have, is do you know how far you drive the ball? And how did you come up with that number for the average?

Average? I would say 250 range. Can I hit it a lot farther? Sure I have but that is not an average at all need to think about the bad as well as the good when talking about driving distance.

Carry? 235. Now if it's been dry, sunny and the fairway is in good shape? Probably around 255

Great question, and one that in sure would help many people out with course management. I recently found out during my fitting that with the new driver setup my average carry distance will be 257yds. We came to this based upon flightscope testing. Total average distance will vary by course conditions.

Simply, No. I've never used flightscope or any kind of launch monitor...

Thanks to GC2, I do have a really good idea how far I carry the ball. Total distance is effected by the type of course and conditions.

I know my carry distance from launch monitors, but reality on course I have limited data. Assuming nice golfing temps and weather, relatively flat, I can expect a good drive to carry around 240-245. Average on the other hand, is definitely less than that, more like 220-230.

My carry is consistently around 220 and total yards depends on the course. I have hit some in the 230-240 range and others in the 250-260 range. Carry distance was validated at ECPC last December

Average? I would say 250 range. Can I hit it a lot farther? Sure I have but that is not an average at all need to think about the bad as well as the good when talking about driving distance.

I am close to Ron's thought here

I would be curious to see peoples on course averages vs their monitor/fitting averages. On course is much harder to get a "true" number but I bet we some have a HUGE difference for various reasons......

I know how far I can hit the ball with a good swing which is between 250-275 without taking into account wind, uphill/downhill, wet/dry fairways

I have too many really bad drives that skew the stat. I think it would mean more if you took a driving average similar to how a handicap works as far as showing potential.

Take the 10 best drives out of your last 20 and find the average.

Yes. Have been on several devices inside but little value other than comparing to my gamer.

Have used various tracking software/apps and device combinations. Have the data to look at versus real time and they are very close. With my flight and spin I just focus on carry as I usually don't get too much roll.

I would be curious to see peoples on course averages vs their monitor/fitting averages. On course is much harder to get a "true" number but I bet we some have a HUGE difference for various reasons......

I'm curious...if you're honest with yourself and the monitor is correct, why would there be any difference outside of wind adjustments? Just pressure of the actual shot meaning more on course?

There are defiantly. last time i played GPS verified and ball marks in the fairway due to soft conditions. i generally am around 250. carry was uphill holes around 225 flat 245 downhill 255 carry no roll.

No idea on my average drive during actual rounds. I've seen varying distances at the PGASS when testing out drivers but I don't trust those numbers when hitting into a net.
If I had to give my best guess, I would say my "average" drive is in the 265-270 yd range.

I think I have pretty good idea I am in the 250-260 range on average.

On avg my total driving distance is somewhere in 230 range I would assume if you factor in all my drives. When i really get a hold of one I can sometimes see in the 260 to 270 range with the right conditions, but I will always assume the 230 to 240 as a baseline when picking my line.

Mid-season form...total distance avg - 265-270
That average is derived from playing and using my laser for the 2nd shot.

Back