The Completely Irrational Golf Beliefs Thread

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Do you continue to believe something even though you know it to be false? Here's your chance to come clean. To be clear - these are IRRATIONAL beliefs, so there's no point in others pointing out that any of us are wrong. That's the point, we know (or should know) we are wrong but we still feel a certain way.

I will start. My first two putters were Odysseys. I know Odyssey is the market leader in the category. I know they make really good gear. But somehow I have an irrational gut feeling their putters are not high quality (maybe like the Honda cars of putters).

Okay, I can't be the only one. Who else? What's your irrational golf belief?

Last edited:
Every bad shot is because 'you lifted your head'.

I believe that forged irons feel better than cast irons. I know it's been disproven but I can't shake it.

Hopefully the thread doesn't burn down.

My irrational belief is that once my kids get old enough to where my wife won't force me to stay home....that I'll be able to practice and play enough to get my swing/game back down to scratch and maybe have a shot at the Champions Tour when I turn 50.

fun thread.

my irrational belief is that i can be a scratch golfer. i will never have enough time. my wife - God bless her - will never support the goal to the point where i can practice as often as i will need to. and quite frankly the ingredients just aren't there. 3-5? perhaps. but scratch. i don't have what it takes.

My irrational belief: I have enough raw talent to make the PGA tour with the right amount of practice. Don't have time for that practice anymore, but in another life I have the tools to do it.

I believe all Talyormade drivers are overrated and inferior to just about any other brand. I've owned 35 drivers in the last decade or so and exactly one of them was a TM and it's crap.

low score on previous hole has honors... I am a firm believer in this. And feel that I get jinxed when I mess up the rotation. So I will try not to do it.

low score on previous hole has honors... I am a firm believer in this. And feel that I get jinxed when I mess up the rotation. So I will try not to do it.

I haven't stepped in front of a birdie in 20+ years until yesterday! I bought a round of drinks for everyone at the turn to make up for it. It won't happen again.

I believe that all new golf balls are attracted to hazards and OB. Doesn't matter the brand.
And I agree, irrationally, about TM drivers. Probably comes from the white crown and that I saw a friend break the face of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there's still a chance that I can get to single digit handicap before I start trying to shoot my age. (56 now)

I have an irrational belief that I might break 80. It's a carrot and stick. I've barely broken 90... once. But I've reached that par 5 in two. I've had an eagle for ***** sake. And a birdie in the same round. I just know it's in there. There are these professional teachers that tell me I can be a single digit handicapper.... at my age.... Reality: I have two bad shoulders and a bad knee. Yes I can have a good day. But SD HC? 12-14 maybe and only for a couple years.

I have the irrational belief that one day I will be right about something....anything, however, my wife disagrees.

I keep believing (completely irrational) that there is always enough money to pay greens fees and that I can golf most any chance I get.

I believe all Talyormade drivers are overrated and inferior to just about any other brand. I've owned 35 drivers in the last decade or so and exactly one of them was a TM and it's crap.

I'm in the same boat, except I'm not as old as TB, haha! I've owned a couple TM drivers but have never cared for them. Sometimes it seems like they're the FanDuel/DraftKings of golf club manufacturers.

That my scream of "NNOOoooooooo!!!!" will somehow alter a ball's flight towards doom.

I haven't stepped in front of a birdie in 20+ years until yesterday! I bought a round of drinks for everyone at the turn to make up for it. It won't happen again.
Yep. That's just bad juju waiting to happen.

After birdie "F" up is predestined to happen.

That my scream of "NNOOoooooooo!!!!" will somehow alter a ball's flight towards doom.

This is funny but so true. How we think we can will the ball via body language and/or yelling at it.

But in reality we are actually suppose to talk to it before we hit it :)

I mean when will we learn this stuff?

That only good golfers should own/use staff bags

I believe there's still a chance that I can get to single digit handicap before I start trying to shoot my age. (56 now)

I used to have this very thought, and also thought it was irrational. Got it to 10 a couple of times, but couldn't break through. Then, in December 2013, I found out I'd be in the 2014 Morgan Cup. With 6 months to work on the game, I put a plan together. Two surgeries and a severe neck injury slowed my progress, but, I persevered. In July, 2014 at the age of 71, my handicap was 8.3 and I kept it in single digits for another about 7 more months before succumbing to the winter effect. Proves that just because it sounds crazy, it doesn't mean it's totally irrational.

My current irrational belief is that I can get my handicap back down to single digits. :laughing:

I can't hit an iron that has offset because I am convinced it will go straight left.

Another irrational belief I have is that I can find a driver/shaft combination that will enable me to get my average distance off the tee back up to around 250 yards!

I believe that I will not make a bogie right after every birdie and I am firmly in the same camp as Vman that I can get up to a 250 average without any change but new Drivers and shafts.

Back