Your golf edge - how fast does it go and what does it take to get it back?

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
OK, we're at that time of year where many of us in colder parts of the world end up taking a break from golf. In my case. I had a break between mid/early December and this last weekend, about 7 weeks, and I am now trying to get back in the groove during a trip over 3 weeks in Dallas (last weekend), Phoenix (this weekend) and Florida (later next week). Played two rounds in Dallas and definitely was rusty. Made me wonder how long a layoff before your game suffers appreciably and how long and what does it take to sharpen it again?

So, my questions are:

1) How long a layoff before your game shows significant negative effects?
2) How long and what does it take to get your edge back?

For me, I think I can go as much as 3 weeks without swinging a club and, while there are some negative effects, I can probably knock the rust off in one round or so. Beyond that, I think I really need 2-3 rounds and some significant range time to feel like I am playing my best.

My game starts going downhill after about 3 days off. A few holes or a quick small bucket get it back. Once I am off for more than a week I need at least a full round or day at the range to get it back. In the off season I suck and I expect it will take me a good 25 hours at the range and 5 rounds to get back down to a 2.0

I always play better after an extended break. Last year I didn't hit a golf ball for 5 months and opened with a 69-72. Immediately after I started playing at least weekly I settled back into my normal 78-85 (and a couple of 100's).

This fall/winter I didn't play, due to work and then weather, from the 2nd weekend of September until the 2nd weekend of January. I shot a comfortable 78 and missed two 4' birdie putts and two 4' par saves. Those two birdie putts were on par 3's that were both within inches of being aces.

My self analysis is this: after a break I play conservatively, swing within myself, and have no expectations. Once the season officially starts in March I start tinkering in an effort to improve, chase goals, and "fine tune" to shave those strokes. It doesn't work for me.

I'm hoping to start this season in the right frame of mind, which is more "rusty early season casual" than "grinding focus".

Winter lay off never bothers me much. Takes a week or two to totally get back, but when you normally go from November to at least April, like we do here, there is going to be some rust.

Normally for me after a couple weeks my swing will be a little off.
After a range session or two I can usually start getting back on track. Especially now that my swing is a little more consistent

Winter lay off never bothers me much. Takes a week or two to totally get back, but when you normally go from November to at least April, like we do here, there is going to be some rust.

This. I grew up with a forced 5 month layoff every year living in Minnesota/Wisconsin until 1998 and continued the tradition of taking an extended break until this winter where I've played 7 or 8 rounds since Thanksgiving, which is just enough to keep my game semi-sharp. For me now the most important thing might be my golf specific exercises, if I stop those when not playing it takes 2-3 weeks to get my flexibility back.

A month off does it for me, but usually have it back by the end of first round. I try to never go more than a month without playing though even in the winter months. If the weather permits, I will play.

I'm not good enough to really 'lose it' to begin with... but, typically if I haven't played for more than 2 weeks... my body will know it.

I can usually get my golf muscles loose enough to swing the club after a round or so, but that first round back, I'm awful stiff and I'll swipe at the ball more often than swinging through it.

I had almost the same amount of time off as the OP, so I'm just starting to knock the rust off as well. For the first couple of rounds I usually play a club up and take very easy relaxed swings. If I don't I risk getting injured. After about 5 rounds though I start to feel like I'm getting my groove back. I also keep pretty copious notes on swing thoughts/techniques so I know what I was doing well the previous year, that helps a lot.

A month or so off and I see drop offs in performance. Which is why I am constantly putting and chipping at home or my office trying to keep the swing and muscle memory.
As far as how long to get back into it, a round or so and I am back at it.

2-3 weeks, then it' back to the fundamentals to get get back on track.... Stance ,grip, ball position....full turn.

I'm not good enough to really 'lose it' to begin with... but, typically if I haven't played for more than 2 weeks... my body will know it.

I can usually get my golf muscles loose enough to swing the club after a round or so, .

I sort of feel similarly about it. I might assume those much more gifted at the game may actually notice the rust more simply because they are more precise to begin with. usually a range session and the body (for me) is use to the movements again. I think the part/s most affected for me via an extended lay-off is putting and also perhaps chipping because they are more of a feel thing requiring some getting use to again. But just swinging is a matter of loosening up for the motions and not such a bog deal. In fact I would say it can also be somewhat beneficial and can break bad habits that one may have been repeating too many times prior to the layoff. Its sort of like a fresh start sometimes and without the bad habits :) but of course we then eventually may start new bad habits :(.....lol

If I don't hit for about four days I start to lose a little edge, after two weeks it can be feast or famine.

I don't really "have" anything, so I can't lose it either... I wasn't able to play for 3 months due to back- and wrist problems, and my first rounds playing again were among the best I've ever played, without any range sessions. My game benefits from a lot of playing, but if I'm not playing I don't really fall back a lot either.

In my country we can play all year round, but that doesn't mean I can get to play that often. If I skip two weeks from golf I need about 3 holes to get my full swing back, and around 6 holes to get my short game back.

What's a golf edge? At my handicap I don't think I've ever had one.

Back