Do you take lessons? Who with?

Local pro I've been seeing a few years now its been a full swing redo that has taken some serious time to get my out of control swing to one that is now under control.

Starting up later this month. Per the recommendation of a few THPERS and a guy here at work

Scott Galayde at Windmill Golf Center
http://windmillgolfcenter.com/

glad to see your getting back into lessons

I took my first in the early 1970's and had a tune up last fall after the club change all with the same PGA Teaching Pro, Gene Kaufman who is a 50 year life member of the PGA of America.

I'm looking for someone new to take lessons from. My old pro is just too far for me to keep going to. My friend keeps telling me to not bother taking lessons for a while...just keep playing. Seems to have worked well for him. I dunno.

I will begin taking lessons next month with a two year goal to get back to a single digit handicap. It's a good setup because my pro uses trackman and gives you a video of your swing after each class. I'm going to start with a 4 lesson special and hit it once a week then probably establish a monthly type deal to keep me dialed in on what he can adjust. It will be the first time in 15 years that I had a professional lesson. Definitely looking forward to it.

Mark Hainline.30 years of teaching experience with many college div players/And up and coming local amateurs and future tour players.A complex program that will start you off from the very beginning of the swing until the end.Heavy into repetition in a mirror with no ball so you can ingrain the motions.A real patient teacher that works with all skill levels to find out what works for them.Its a complete program with even local golf leagues that are full of his students to play golf with.This season I'm looking forward to keep advancing in his program and meet new golfers that are learning from him as well in person.Was thinking about doing online golf lessons,but nothing can ever come close than learning from a great pro in person.Online just can't do what he does for me.Im very blessed in finding this guy

I've taken lessons the past two years at Hank Haney's facility at Westridge in McKinney. Where it has helped me immensely is with chipping, pitching, sand shots and putting. It is like night and day now compared to where I was. Now if they can just show me how to drive it 300 yards! :laughing:

I'm looking for someone new to take lessons from. My old pro is just too far for me to keep going to. My friend keeps telling me to not bother taking lessons for a while...just keep playing. Seems to have worked well for him. I dunno.
Don't be confused.Go do it

I took a pack of lessons getting ready for THPMC, and I subsequently played the best consistent golf of my life. The longer I go without those lessons and the practice required to ingrain the feel and improve, the further backward I go. One of the pros at a local course joined our league and has offered lessons for free. He and I have played together and he has given me a few pointers. We have both scheduled and then had to bail for weather or other factors, so have not gotten to have a session yet.

I NEED to do this this year.

JM

I take lessons occasionally from a former mini-tour player who was the head pro at a CC in RI for approx 8 years before he decided to actually go make money in order to start a family. He prefers the "work with what you've got" method vs. an entire rebuild, unless that's what you want. He's completely out of the golf industry but gives lessons occasionally and we'll do checkups a couple or three times a year.

The guy at the closest course to me. His name is Shane Crosley (www.crosleygolf.com).

I've taken a 5 or 6 lessons with him, always with good results. He uses a flightscope and iPad to help find/show swing flaws without being too dependant on them if that makes sense.

Been a while since I have taken lessons, but i go to Ed Teer in Williamsburg when I am looking for a tuneup. I have done playing lessons, full swing, short game, and vector green reading. My putting coach is Bruce Rearick; we do everything online and I have learned a ton from him.

I do not take regular lessons... this is something I hope that changes in 2016. I have taken a couple from a local instructor that I really click with, Bobby Lopez, at Pendleton Golf Club.

I took lessons from Bobby many years ago when he was in Chesapeake. I credit his lessons for getting me from a 90s player to a low 80s player.

When I first got to this area I started taking lessons with Ben Alexander at Bayonet and Black Horse. He retired though so I'm taking lessons with Cole Handley at Poppy Hills now.

Do you take lessons? Who with?

I took some lessons from a local pro when I first started playing - something like a series of 5. A few years later I took some more while in high school from an Assistant Pro at Firestone. I believe I did a series of 10 one summer and 5 the next, IIRC.

I found that I didn't listen or follow the instruction given to me on 90% of the things he said with the first pro, even back then I just didn't trust him. He seemed like a guy who had one swing and he was trying to teach that to me instead of taking my swing and tweaking it. With the guy at Firestone, from day 1 he said "You have a great swing, we are just going to work on fine tuning and and learning trajectory control and how to hit different shots." He was great and I wish he was still teaching (he moved to Long Island and I believe he plays now), I'd love to go see him a few times a summer for a check up.

Overall theme: find someone you trust and like. Find a guy interested in teaching you have to perfect your swing, not one who has a one size fits all swing he wants to try to impose on you.

I've done lessons before with Mark Immelman. Thinking about signing up for another series with him this spring.

I've taken two lessons from Tirrel Baymon at Cypresswood in Spring, TX. Easily the BEST of the four instructors I've had. I like his approach a lot because what I don't want from an instructor is a bottom-up, step-by-step, cookie-cutter approach to the correct golf swing who is unable to identify faults. What I do like in an instructor is someone who asks "What are your problems?", "Okay, let's see hit some shots", "OK, here's what you're doing wrong" and then "Here's what we need to do to correct it."

I have not yet but will be doing so within the next month with an ex-tour pro caddie. He is a great player and we click very well out on the course.

Which location?
The Columbia GG. Even though I despise the store and most of the sales guys there, the instructor "seems" pretty cool.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It's so cool to see so many of us taking or planning on taking lessons and hearing the different experience of the instructors.

Great thread Jman

The Columbia GG. Even though I despise the store and most of the sales guys there, the instructor "seems" pretty cool.

I didn't realize Steve was Golftec. He was a teacher at Arundel for many years with Jim.

For 2015 I took lessons with Rob Noel in Abita Springs, LA. He's one of the Top 3 teaching pros here in the State. For 2016, I'm going to go back to the David Toms Academy in Shreveport to give Shaun Webb, their Director of Instruction, another shot. Toms's Academy has more things for instruction like Gears 3D, weight sensing equipment, and that big $100,000 machine that one can be hooked-up to and it simulates ANY golf pro's swing as you hold the club. Helps build the proper feel. Shaun did a great job of sending me video via Trackman, and I just think for $20 more an hour, I'll have more visuals and technology help me with my swing. I dropped from a 10 hcp to an 8.4 this year playing once-a-month with just lessons, so I really think to get down below 8 I need that extra bit of instruction in biomechanics, etc, to get me where I want to be (plus a bunch of short game practice).

My first lesson with Shaun is this Friday. Great thing about the Academy is after one's lesson, you can use the entire facility for the rest of the day. They have multiple ranges, short game areas, putting greens, traps, and even a 3-hole loop, and a 9 hole par 3 course. It's amazing. For an out-of-towner to join, it's $2500 a year!!!! In-town is around $5000... It's legit.

I only take putting lessons and just started last July. I've only had 5 or 6 full swing lessons in my life but I plan on starting regular full swing lessons once I retire in a few years.

From 2013-early 15 I took lessons with Ron DeSantis, who I think was a great instructor for me in terms of understanding the basics of the swing and working with my swing rather than overhauling anything. Sadly (for me) he moved, so since then the only lesson I've gotten has been with Mark Crossfield.

Took lessons last year at Golftec. While I liked it and it truly changed my game for the better I wish it was easier to change coaches. I did not dislike my coach but would have liked to try someone new. The other issue was sometimes I would leave there to go play....and I was an absolute wreck mentally. (way too many swing thoughts). My friend just spent $300 for 10 lessons at golf galaxy and was really happy with the initial lesson. I am going to take 1-2 lessons from a local pro in the next few weeks to see how that goes.

Back