Mizuno JPX-850 irons

I have to say I've had these for over a year now and I'm quite happy with them. I really like the trajectory I get out of them when I hit them flush and they still generally give me good distance even when my hits are off.

Putting these in play for the first time tomorrow. Reshafted them with Recoil 95s. Seeing some really high spin numbers on the sim, up to 8,000 with the 7 iron. Hit 9000 with a 9 iron. What is interesting is the spin on the gap wedge is really low, below 4000.

Putting these in play for the first time tomorrow. Reshafted them with Recoil 95s. Seeing some really high spin numbers on the sim, up to 8,000 with the 7 iron. Hit 9000 with a 9 iron. What is interesting is the spin on the gap wedge is really low, below 4000.

Interesting.......can't wait to see for myself!

Copied post from my thread. I'll post all my upcoming comments on this thread!

I just spent about two hours getting custom fit here locally for a new set of irons and ended up with these.

I tested the Cobra F6, Callaway XR OS, Ping G, JPX 850, and compared up all of the data to my Cleveland Altitudes.

I'm most excited about my new shafts, actually. I ended up with regular flex KBS tour shafts in my new irons. I've been using the stiff shaft stock graphite shaft with my altitudes. Getting the flex right and a shaft that will give me a mid launch trajectory is going to be a huge deal for my game, at least I'm hoping!

I also ended up getting the Fli Hi hybrids integrated with my set.

I was honestly hesitant to do this when suggested, but I gave the Fli HIs a hit and was very surprised. I was getting similar results with the six iron and six hybrid, but better trajectory and a little more distance and less spin with the Fli Hi. Thus, I ended up getting a set with 3 to 6 Fli HIs and 7-GW with the JPX 850s. I have no shame in having four hybrids in my bag, no issue at all!

Needless to say, I was surprised by all of my results and that I ended up getting the Mizuno lineup that I did. I was really expecting to get either the Callaway or Ping irons that were just released.

I've never been custom fit and I am hoping for some better results on the course when it warms up! My bag is now set and my plan for 2016 is to spend all my golf dollars on lessons. I'm a golf equipment junkie, so I'll be very surprised if this actually happens, ha ha.

Would love to discuss with anyone that has a similar set up in their bag.

Pics to come!

Cheers,
Rush

Just got my set, I'll get some pics posted. Really excited to hit these. If the weather would just cooperate!

I demoed a set of these a couple years ago. For me, they were stupid long. I was averaging 180 yards of carry with the 7-iron, which is about 20 yards longer than I usually hit a 7-iron.

Mizuno JPX-850 irons

Anymore updates or experiences to share with the JPX850?

Just started putting these in play and played a couple of rounds. Still trying to figure out yardages to some degree compared to the EZs I played previously. One thing I have noticed is I picked up a lot of spin with these. Maybe too much. Some of it may be a swing thing. But, when I hit an AP1 with same shaft my spin dropped precipitously. Other than that I really like them. Great feel and sound, and I like the way they set up at address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed hitting these the last couple times I have gone to golfsmith. They are super long and just easy to hit. Really want these and have almost pulled the trigger on eBay a couple times.

Just started putting these in play and played a couple of rounds. Still trying to figure out yardages to some degree compared to the EZs I played previously. One thing I have noticed is I picked up a lot of spin with these. Maybe too much. Some of it may be a swing thing. But, when I hit an AP1 with same shaft my spin dropped precipitously. Other than that I really like them. Great feel and sound, and I like the way they set up at address.

Thanks for the response and glad they are working for you.
I like the graphics and now need to look at them in person regarding the offset.
How is the turf interaction?
Even though the sole width is typical for this type club, the very back of the sole seems to be raised (from some pics I have seen) so it doesn't seem as it would come into play other than to add weighting and influence COG / forgiveness.
The C200's seem to have a very high launch, almost too high for some, yet have not heard that about the JPX.
A different ball might lower the spin for you, if deemed necessary.

I have really enjoyed hitting these the last couple times I have gone to golfsmith. They are super long and just easy to hit. Really want these and have almost pulled the trigger on eBay a couple times.

Thanks. Just confirms what others have said and their price point is better than many others.

I like the shaft fitting kit you can get from them as another assessment tool.

Maybe we both will have to get a set and generate a bit more THP love!

Demo days start next weekend here for me!

Mizuno JPX-850 irons

Thanks for the response and glad they are working for you.
I like the graphics and now need to look at them in person regarding the offset.
How is the turf interaction?
Even though the sole width is typical for this type club, the very back of the sole seems to be raised (from some pics I have seen) so it doesn't seem as it would come into play other than to add weighting and influence COG / forgiveness.
The C200's seem to have a very high launch, almost too high for some, yet have not heard that about the JPX.
A different ball might lower the spin for you, if deemed necessary.

Turf interaction is great. This time of year playing on dormant Bermuda. So typically a rather thin lie and works well.

On the launch monitor my launch angle has been 22-23 with a 7 iron. Spin rate mid 7000s. Peak height around 35 yards. So high launch and spin.

I have played a couple of different balls with them. The Cally Chrome Soft and Bridgestone e6. The e6 seemed to help a bit, but need a little more course time to see if that is the right combo.

As stock they come with XP95 but Mizuno has tons of free upgrade options. I personally have the XP115.

My bad, it is the XP105 as the stock steel shaft.

Picked up these irons back in August and immediately took to them. I figured it would take some time to get used to these forged clubs from my old Pings but right off the bat I was striking the balls well and only had to dial in distances since I was getting almost a club more distance. Great feel and playability - and for the first time since I was playing balata balls decades ago, I was able to spin and back the ball up.

Shafts seemed to make a difference for me. In the fitting session I tried quite a few and they felt very different to me - found the KBS stiff shafts to be best for me.

I ordered these today after my first ever fitting. I hit the AP1, RSi1, G, Gmax, F6 and 850s. I was surprised when I quickly eliminated down to the F6 and 850. The fitter thought that was funny as he said some designer from Mizuno transferred to Cobra year or two ago. Anyway, the Cobras had better spin and a tiny bit more distance, but I loved the feel of the 850 more than any other club, and when I hit it correctly the differences were minimized. I ordered the 5-PW with MCC+4s and KBS Tours in Stiff. Can't be more interested and excited...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ordered these today after my first ever fitting. I hit the AP1, RSi1, G, Gmax, F6 and 850s. I was surprised when I quickly eliminated down to the F6 and 850. The first thought that was funny as he said some designer from Mizuno transferred to Cobra year or two ago. Anyway, the Cobras had better spin and a tiny bit more distance, but I lived the feel of the 850 more than any other club, and when I hit it correctly the differences were minimized. I ordered the 5-PW with MCC+4s and KBS Tours in Stiff. Can't be more interested and excited...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Awesome, dude. I'm going to get mine out today for 9. Loving the feel as well. I hit most of the clubs you listed as well. It came down the Ping Gs and the 850s for me. KBS Tours for me as well. Enjoy!

I've been gaming the jpx 850's for over a year now. Nice to see that, even though there are new models out, people are still picking up the 850's. They weren't on my radar when I got fitted last year...but after the first swing I was sold. Just love the feel of them.

I've been gaming the jpx 850's for over a year now. Nice to see that, even though there are new models out, people are still picking up the 850's. They weren't on my radar when I got fitted last year...but after the first swing I was sold. Just love the feel of them.
The feel.... That's what made a difference for me. When I hit the others square they were ALL missing the feel I got from the 850s. The only problem now is they don't ship until the 27th! Hopefully they under promise and over deliver...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I hit these for the first time a few days ago, no major gains over my D100s but you're dead on about the feel - VERY nice.

If I found a set of these in graphite for a reasonable price...

Yesterday I went in looking for new irons. I am a 13 handicap with a 110 swing speed with my driver. I had the xr irons in mind. But I hit the xr, m2, and jpx 850. For me the xr and jpx 850 blew the m2s out of the water. I never even considered the jpx 850 until I hit it. My goodness did it feel good, and great ball flight. I liked the look of the jpx 850 over the xr. It has a thinner top line. I hit both clubs very well though. It really came down to price for me. Mizuno got me into the right shaft (kbs tour x stiff) and grips (mcc +4 midsize) for no extra charge. Needless to say I ordered the jpx 850 and can't wait for them to get in.

Is anyone else hitting these irons with the kbs tour x stiff shafts? If so how well do they perform on the course? I have only hit them on the simulator.

I almost got the 850-forged.
I ended up with MP25's with the KBS C-Taper lite.
A lot had to do with the shaft.
I did not try the 850's with this shaft.
I also got a MP5H for the 5 and 4 iron to increase trajectory.
However, I sometimes question it as the 850-Forged felt great.

Back