The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sooooo useful.

I'm going back to putting boot camp and this, the putting professor, and my SPi medicine ball are going to be staples of my daily routine.
Is the eyeline another good one? I was thinking about the one Graeme McDowell uses.

im a fan if the mirror and need to grab one this year. I worked with my instructor year before last with it and it helped getting my eyes just inside ball instead of way away or over compensate and be way over it.
Seems like a good idea. I wonder if that's why I am such a poor putter. My eyes may never be in the same spot and that's why I am so hit or miss with my putting.

Is the eyeline another good one? I was thinking about the one Graeme McDowell uses.
Eyeline is quality. Its what I had prior to this one, went SKLZ this go-round.

Alright. Sounds good. might look into that and see if I can pick something up.

Its sooooo useful.

I'm going back to putting boot camp and this, the putting professor, and my SPi medicine ball are going to be staples of my daily routine.

funny i dug my spi ball out today. The putting professor was used everyday in dec and the first couple weeks of jan. I have confidence with the motion of my stroke right now and using the RST while using the putting professor was great becaus when I too it away the stroke felt the same.

Seems like a good idea. I wonder if that's why I am such a poor putter. My eyes may never be in the same spot and that's why I am so hit or miss with my putting.

i agree with James. My putting improved when I started getting my eyes in the right spot. My misses left went away and I started putting the ball on chosen line more.

I got some good range practice in today. The driver was hit or miss but it's coming around, Irons need work but I was hitting my wedges really good. Worked on the putting green for 30 minutes, so all in all a good session.

After having my bad swing with me for my fitting, I had a bonus of decent weather this morning so I headed off to the range for an hour to try and see if I could manage a better swing

Despite the sunshine, it was still pretty chilly at only 5* C so I had a few layers on, but I was making better contact with the ball today. I am now looking forward to my lesson on Friday to see what I can do to improve my swing

going to the range tonight. can't wait. been about 6 months since I last took a swing. so ready to get back into this aggravating, stupidly expensive game.

going to the range tonight. can't wait. been about 6 months since I last took a swing. so ready to get back into this aggravating, stupidly expensive game.

that went a lot better than expected. took a few thinned/shanks to get it figured out, but I was actually hitting the ball pretty well. got a nice push/fade that I gotta figure out, but I was making solid contact about 70% of the time. happy with that for now.

Went to the range and really worked hard on the knuckle down approach on the back swing with my short irons. I hit the ball much more solid and consistent and with more height. I will continue this approach thru the rest of the set the next time.

Working on coiling on my right leg and getting my left shoulder behind the ball.

I will get this if it kills me as not doing it is robbing me of big distance and causing too high of a LA and too much spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a lesson today. Man was it a mess... somewhere I started really rolling the face open and with the face open I was introducing a lot of hosel to the ball. My wrist hinge motion was very cupped and getting very loose at the top. Will be focusing on keeping the face shut at the start of back swing and with proper wrist hinge at the top try to keep the swing from getting too long. Feels absolutely strange, like I never swung a club before

A range session today to work on the new stuff. Hit the ball very well. Worked on proper wrist motion at the start of swing (feeling like unscrewing motion with left wrist) and feeling right hand more on top of the handle during down swing. With those, working on covering the ball and swinging out and not folding left elbow so quick. Crazy game... just getting the wrist motion right and keeping the face square, rest of the swing felt more naturally put together

Today was my first time going to the range without any hip pain since I took up golf and it felt absolutely incredible to be able to get around on the ball all the way.

I hit more long irons today than I have in the last 12 months combined.
Went through 220 balls, and I'm still feeling great. Won't do that gain though.

Went to Golf Galaxy today before my basketball game. Was wearing leather dress shoes, a fitted dress shirt and a tie, so mobility and traction were quite low. Average swing speed was 110mph. Hopefully this translates to almost 115 with golf apparel. Last season, I was only around 107, and that's with my golf shoes and clothes. Really glad that I've spent more time in the gym this winter. At 5'10", and 144, I feel like bulking up would get me constantly over 300 yards I'd like to think.

did some indoor practice today after my recent lesson. Just....not....very.....good. I'm trying to incorporate the things we've worked on but my old OTT vertical swing habits are just really hard to break. today felt very mechanical and too focused on what my arms are doing trying to lag back. really forgot moving the rest of my body in sync. when I just relax and swing easy I can do some ok things path-wise, but of course not the power/distance I'm used to. then when I try to make a full swing, I was shanking a bunch off the hosel. moving my hands way too far out away from my body.

one of those days I wish I hadn't started lessons to improve my swing. :banghead:

I miss this thread. Hope to get back to my Tuesday & Thursday range sessions soon. Need reps!!!

One thing I remember from Harvey Penick's little red book was how much stock he (and Tom Kite & Ben Crenshaw) put into doing slow motion swings - they all swear by them. So for the first time ever I'm trying to do some of this work. I hope that by repeating a sluper-slow, controlled swing, I can groove a proper weight shift & club path & eliminate my usual over-the-top move & start drawing the ball.

Tonights range session was one of those that just leaves me shaking my head. 50 balls, working on some recent changes.

1st 40 balls: Absolute perfection. High, straight, long, on target with every club in the bag, including my nemesis - the long irons. I debate leaving the last 10 balls and going home because there's no way it can get any better. Nah, I'm having too much fun.

Balls 41-48: Shanks. All of them.
Balls 49,50: Angry smash with driver, good shots.

WHY!??!!?!?!?!?! Why didn't I just take a great session to the bank.

Tonights range session was one of those that just leaves me shaking my head. 50 balls, working on some recent changes.

1st 40 balls: Absolute perfection. High, straight, long, on target with every club in the bag, including my nemesis - the long irons. I debate leaving the last 10 balls and going home because there's no way it can get any better. Nah, I'm having too much fun.

I struggle with this exact thing. What helps me end a session is hitting three good shots in row with the clubs of my choosing. Example. Use my 58 9i 7i 5i Driver. Hit a green 3 in a row with each irons and hit 3 good drives in a row with a mental fairway. Once I get through that I'm done. No matter how many balls are left.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I blame the exchange rate! Great session though overall, if those 10 balls were spread throughout the whole session it really wouldnt be that bad.

Made it to the range tonight!! You know it didn't go very well when the guy next to you offers a few golf balls to finish on a good note haha. Well, driver wasn't very good with a two way miss but hey I'm rusty and it's expected. I was happy to see the wedges 100 yds and in were in good form. Looking forward to starting lessons next Saturday

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Two hours on the range this afternoon trying to figure a few things out. Had an absolute fantastic practice session.

Focused on my longer shots, fairway woods and long irons trying to figure out exactly what setup I will be gaming going forward.

From there, moved to long irons and focused on getting good height on my shots and smoothing my swing.

Lastly, short game work. Really putting in the focus on that 80 yards an in. Finally feel like that part of my game is tightening up.

Bag is set for this next weekend, and kind of surprised at how it turned out.

CG black driver
SLDR 14* Mini Driver
Mashie F5
Callaway Heavenwood
SLDR 5-AW
54* TM Tour Preferred ATV grind
58* smart sole s Wedge

That heavenwood is just downright cheating too.

Love it RyJo! Can't wait to enjoy 18 holes in competition next Saturday with you.

That's awesome dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back