leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
I realize not everyone wants to improve their golf game, but most of us do. This is a thread to contemplate or declare what will help your game the most and be your next focus for improvement. I remember a point in my own development where I was making few GIRs and didn't have much of a chipping game either. Good analysis, but still left me with multiple ways to go. Knew I only had the time to focus on one at a time and picked one. Another time I had a club in my bag that was just killing me. I had one of those low profile Orlimar drivers I'd gotten as a gift. So, what's next could be a lot of things.

Share your thoughts or ask for advice. The thread is now yours.

Plan on getting fit, actually practice and play whenever possible on longer Courses which force me out of my comfort zone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Getting a driver fitting on Friday, first one ever, and hopefully will identify if there is better combo for me. Then I might do a putter fitting and/or get lessons, but that all be determined by finances

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Get putter to match full swing maintain short game and improve course management skills

At the end of this season I began working on shot accuracy. I was hitting too many long approach shots either right or left. So I began working on my set-up stance and squaring up the club face on contact. I began seeing improvements but still need to work on this some more when the 2019 season begins so I can hit a higher % of GIRs

I'm going to work with the game I have. I'm going to stop trying to correct when a single shot disappoints. I will play my 7 iron and longer clubs for a cut to a fade. I'll play my 8 and shorter to go straight. I'll play my average distances, and accept the variations in distance and direction as part of my game. I'm going to be more aggresive with my partial wedge shots 65 yards and in.

I need some flexibility, and a bunker lesson.

Biggest things for me is to improve my putting and work on back strength and flexibility so I'm not popping Advil by the turn.

I need to get in better shape and work on better consistency with my chipping and lag putting.

Wedge game and long irons are my key areas in 2019. Then just continuing with lessons and correcting my huge in to out swing.

I got to a place where I felt "stuck" this year and finished the year at 11.1 for 3.5 months. Never getting better, or worse, like I hit a wall in my improvement. So for Christmas my wife got me lessons. Hoping this will be the key to breaking through the "wall"

Just playing more. I've been pretty down this year being diagnosed with MS and having diabetes. I just need to get out more on the days I feel halfway good.

I will be working on my longer irons accuracy and tightening up the short game and hopefully that will result in cutting down the shots.

Biggest things for me is to improve my putting and work on back strength and flexibility so I'm not popping Advil by the turn.

I take Advil 1 hour before tee time because it takes Advil an hour to kick in for me

I told myself I'd never let it happen, but I just turned 54 and I've lost SO much distance... I've only played about 10-12 rounds for the past 2 years as my wife and I completely altered our lives; but in the rounds I did play, I have lost about 50 yards from the tee and about 1-1/2 irons in distance! It's all due to a bad back and lack of flexibility, and I can do much to improve both of those conditions. This year will be dedicated to fitness, both for quality of life and to get my damn distance back when I start playing regularly again!

Practice, practice, practice. It worked with my putting, now I need to work on my irons. I give up a stroke almost every hole due to inaccuracy, both distance and direction.

More GIR.

Accuracy off the tee was fine in 2018 - I met my goal of >50%. But getting onto the green was a struggle all year. I think a lot of this has to do with putting new irons into the bag an adjusting to the new distances.

Thankfully my short game saved me more times than it failed me but I'd still like to get more accurate with my irons.

More fairways and more GIR. My short game is the only thing working right now.

Mine is very specific. I'm working on increasing swing speed. At 60+ that may seem like a fool's errand, but I've identified some things with my release and hip turn that I think will help. I've also just purchased an SC200 launch monitor to help me track and work through these improvements.

Every single year this type of thread rolls around. My answer almost never changes.

If I can miss fairways and greens with the best of them.....I sure as hell better be a fantastic short game player <-100yds. I also better be a damn good putter and I am not. Need to keep improving my short game so I don’t have to worry about making crazy long putts. If I can then really make some strides in my putting game.....the scores will lower dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of this season I began working on shot accuracy. I was hitting too many long approach shots either right or left. So I began working on my set-up stance and squaring up the club face on contact. I began seeing improvements but still need to work on this some more when the 2019 season begins so I can hit a higher % of GIRs

I don't know if this will help you, but I'll throw it out there in case you find it useful. When I was working on this a couple of years ago I found two things became keys to my improvement. One you've already discovered and that is paying special attention to your setup. The other was focusing more on a big muscle swing where the arms are along for the ride. As long as you are precise on the placement of your hands on the grip, the extension of your arms and hands pull the face into the same position swing after swing.

Need to hit more greens. Average for 2018 was 40% GIR's, ugh. Sure have a great short game though, thanks to hitting so few greens. Bought a couple small diameter wood dowels for tualignment sticks and will hit the range before the round and tune up the alignment, hope it helps. Also going to start standing behind the ball on approach shots, visualize the shot, step in and pull the trigger.

In order, I need to tighten up my greenside bunker play, touch on flops and GIR.

All tied together. I averaged 60% GIR and was rarely very far off so I think there's achievable room for improvement there.

When I did miss into a bunker, my consistency was abysmal. Wasted way too many shots there.

Same for my lack of a trusted flop. I can execute the shot just fine but I'm forever long. It's like I have a flop swing yip where I lose trust during the downswing and give it more juice.

Back