Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

Chicago
The event we are hosting in your city this year is freaking INCREDIBLE!
Details are not out yet, but the golf, the food, the equipment and more are all included.
We are putting the finishing touches on it now, and details will come out shortly after PGA Show.

Chicago
Details are not out yet, but the golf, the food, the equipment and more are all included.
We are putting the finishing touches on it now, and details will come out shortly after PGA Show.
Great news. Can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Chicago
Can I come? Better believe I will be trying for this one!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Chicago

I expected better than "Incredible".... :alien:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expected better than "Incredible".... :alien:

Its not till later this year my brother...I have to scale up.

Good to know all my prep work this year could be going towards an "Incredible" event in Chicago!

Yea I go to top golf by my house in Wood Dale or Naperville but White Pines dome has new simulators this year and I want to try one. Getting the itch.

I've used the Golfzon sim at White Pines twice now to play courses, first St. Andrews and then Spyglass. At first I liked the system, in particular because it will record a video of every swing and give you all of the swing metrics for each swing and supposedly you can review the video on your account on the Golfzon website (I haven't tried that) and I also liked the way the holes played and the view/presentation of the holes. The big issue that I have with it is that I do not think the distances are correct - all seem short by 10-15% - if you are 100yrds and take your 100yrd club and hit it well it may not even go 90yrds - but some of the chips around the green go way further than you would think that they would. I've used others sims (most recently last winter at the CPD Marovitz course) that seemed more accurate on distances. As a result, the last time we did it, by the 12th hole my son was sick of having the distances be off and stopped playing. I will likely give it another try or two since it was fun. Possibly it is because the balls on the range that are used for the sim are limited flight range balls and perhaps the equipment is so sensitive in what it measures that that makes a difference.

I have also tried the Golfzon equipment that they have on three of the range slots. It seemed a bit more accurate on distances but not necessarily ball flight all the time (one driver that I hit was clearly drawing from right of center back to center by the time it hit the back wall but the Golfzon showed it as a push/slice that went out of the range to the right). Hard to know if the swing mechanics that it reads are fully accurate but apart from swing speed which it strangely does not provide, it gives you the key metrics and also records video of your swings from both side and back (which is pretty cool) and when you bring up the video replay, you can pause it and draw lines on the touch screen to follow through the shot and measure angles, etc. for swing mechanics (the manager showed me but not sure I could do it myself).

Overall, my judgment is reserved but since I am there every Saturday for my son's lesson, I will try them both again.

Chicago

Excited to hear that! Just found and joined THP this past October and so am new to all of this and have never been to an event - will be cool to have one in town.

Chicago

Can't wait to hear what's coming!!!

I've used the Golfzon sim at White Pines twice now to play courses, first St. Andrews and then Spyglass. At first I liked the system, in particular because it will record a video of every swing and give you all of the swing metrics for each swing and supposedly you can review the video on your account on the Golfzon website (I haven't tried that) and I also liked the way the holes played and the view/presentation of the holes. The big issue that I have with it is that I do not think the distances are correct - all seem short by 10-15% - if you are 100yrds and take your 100yrd club and hit it well it may not even go 90yrds - but some of the chips around the green go way further than you would think that they would. I've used others sims (most recently last winter at the CPD Marovitz course) that seemed more accurate on distances. As a result, the last time we did it, by the 12th hole my son was sick of having the distances be off and stopped playing. I will likely give it another try or two since it was fun. Possibly it is because the balls on the range that are used for the sim are limited flight range balls and perhaps the equipment is so sensitive in what it measures that that makes a difference.

I have also tried the Golfzon equipment that they have on three of the range slots. It seemed a bit more accurate on distances but not necessarily ball flight all the time (one driver that I hit was clearly drawing from right of center back to center by the time it hit the back wall but the Golfzon showed it as a push/slice that went out of the range to the right). Hard to know if the swing mechanics that it reads are fully accurate but apart from swing speed which it strangely does not provide, it gives you the key metrics and also records video of your swings from both side and back (which is pretty cool) and when you bring up the video replay, you can pause it and draw lines on the touch screen to follow through the shot and measure angles, etc. for swing mechanics (the manager showed me but not sure I could do it myself).

Overall, my judgment is reserved but since I am there every Saturday for my son's lesson, I will try them both again.
Thanks for your input...I'll be looking forward to trying them when I get some time.

For anyone closer to the city of Chicago:

Stony Creek GC has two simulator bays running e6 trugolf and the pricing is great.

Also anyone heading to the Golf Expo in Rosemont or Tinley Park this month? Maybe THPers can meet up.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Hope I get to meet you this year ozzman

For anyone closer to the city of Chicago:

Stony Creek GC has two simulator bays running e6 trugolf and the pricing is great.

Also anyone heading to the Golf Expo in Rosemont or Tinley Park this month? Maybe THPers can meet up.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

I'll be at Rosemont the 27th.

Really think I'm going to buy a custom fit set of clubs from my teacher.The more I speak to him and his students the more I get convinced.He is still letting me use a demo 5 iron that will be very close to what he makes me.Really getting addicted to it.Hate to part with my older callaways,but this will help me advance my game.

Can't wait to hear what's coming!!!

just reading about these.Wish i didn't have so many car shows planned this year.Does thp let in a big number for the Chicago event? I can back out of a show with full notice if i knew I will get in the event.But if I can't get in than I lose the entry fee$'s I already paid out this winter.Is it for a large group of a small number?What would our chances be of getting in

just reading about these.Wish i didn't have so many car shows planned this year.Does thp let in a big number for the Chicago event? I can back out of a show with full notice if i knew I will get in the event.But if I can't get in than I lose the entry fee$'s I already paid out this winter.Is it for a large group of a small number?What would our chances be of getting in
This is pretty limited not a large event. The one I was in had 9 people. I believe a similar number last year. Usually entry via contests or draws from entries.

No it is not a large group. In fact it's very small, and that is for 3 reasons.

1. Every participant coming gets new prototype equipment. The previous one everybody got a new set of irons 4 months before release.

2. THPers will be meeting and playing with the r&d and marketing team from Wilson Staff and there are only so many people for that.

3. Due to how this event is setup and spending time in the Wilson Innovation Center, and having 40+ in there would be an issue.

You can go back and read the live update thread from last year and see what transpired as there is a ton of information and this year it's going to new levels.

In fact all of our events included the all expenses paid Grandaddy of me all has a live update thread that gives you an idea of what is taking place.

The other option is signing up for the THP event before trying to back out of anything. You will need a 2016 Albatross Club Membership for any THP events that goes to help a wonderful charity in the name of this community.

Does anyone in the Chicago area know of a good place that can successfully "pull" putter grips? On one Scotty putter I want to try a slightly larger Scotty grip but don't want to destroy my current Scotty grip because I may go back to it. On a different putter, I want to shorten it by an inch but keep the same original grip. I've asked around at a couple of nearby Golfsmiths, a nearby PGA Superstore and at my golf club but they just cut off grips because they don't have the tools (air compressor I guess) to be able to pull grips properly.

I had clubs lengthened and Dicks Sporting goods asked if I wanted the grips saved. I didn't but was nice they had the option.

Back