[720p Video] Been suffering from shanks/heel shots since January

Sennamont

Reaction score
Handicap
Allergies
Please help ,
1st video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwBFaK8TP-Q

last year around october, flight was much higher but swing was borderline john daly and very "arm-y" so I tried to shorten it, looks like progressed into this dreaded tendency

most current video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHm61EZSWfM

video was taken about a month ago, since then I have trying to correct the shallow swing, move my hips faster/slower, keeping the right foot down, keep my balance in the back foot instead of front. Tried it for the last two weekend but still hit majority on the heel side and/or just have terrible consistency issues. Shorter irons and mid irons do not suffer as much, however, long irons/hybrids, drivers are almost never hit near the toe side even when I actively try to hit it on the toe.

Watched some other tutorials about the two ball drill in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtylrdeaZLs but have not tried it out yet, stuck at work until the weekend so figured I'd solicited THP's help in the mean time so I can try them all out at the range to fix this dreaded crap.

Thanks for the help!

You have a great starting point I think. Freddie will be able you no problem.

freddie will get you sorted out. what i see is a setup that needs some work. there is no space between your arms and your body; or said differently your arms aren't really hanging down at address. the momentum of the swing is pushing your arms away from your body to a position where they should have started at address, so if you were standing a little farther from the ball with your arms hanging naturally you would be returning the club to a similar position at impact instead of introducing the heel.

also looks like there is a reverse pivot, and maybe a grip that needs a little work. but i think getting your setup to be more fundamental, focusing on the arms hanging from your shoulders at address which will probably require that you stand a fraction farther from the ball, will be the best place to start.

i too struggle with the sh@nks, but mine is an issue with weight distribution. good luck!

freddie will get you sorted out. what i see is a setup that needs some work. there is no space between your arms and your body; or said differently your arms aren't really hanging down at address. the momentum of the swing is pushing your arms away from your body to a position where they should have started at address, so if you were standing a little farther from the ball with your arms hanging naturally you would be returning the club to a similar position at impact instead of introducing the heel.

also looks like there is a reverse pivot, and maybe a grip that needs a little work. but i think getting your setup to be more fundamental, focusing on the arms hanging from your shoulders at address which will probably require that you stand a fraction farther from the ball, will be the best place to start.

i too struggle with the sh@nks, but mine is an issue with weight distribution. good luck!

I was seeing the same thing. A little bend at the waist will help the standing tall and your arms will natually just hang right below. Oh yeah and dont forget to waggle a little :alien:

Haha... yeah waggle some more. Dang you take the clubhead a long ways back. I wish I was that flexible.

You can definitely see a difference in the two videos. You look alot more vertical and rigid in the most recent one.

Also looks like you're coming back over the top on the downswing. You can see the club moving through the ball to the left.

Thanks!
Standing a little further was actually one of the first things I tried and it did help for about 5 shots, but then my body/mind compensated and I started to shift my weight forward subconsciously toward my toes and the heel strikes are getting worse, I'm losing my balance while reaching forward to hit the ball. At one point I was a driver head away from the ball at set up and still end up hitting it on the hosel/ heel, it was not fun.

What changes dos you make to your swing? The two videos are identical. If I'm going to help I need to know where your head is at.

Also looks like you're coming back over the top on the downswing. You can see the club moving through the ball to the left.

Fwiw the club moves left through the bottom of the swing. Just a matter if that occurs from the inside or outside on the down swing

Fwiw the club moves left through the bottom of the swing. Just a matter if that occurs from the inside or outside on the down swing

Oh yeah for sure. Just looked to me from the slomo vid it was happening before impact. Could be wrong though... Wouldn't be the first time.:bulgy-eyes:

What changes dos you make to your swing? The two videos are identical. If I'm going to help I need to know where your head is at.
Sorry no side videos on this :( shortened backswing (intended) and shallower back swing path(not intended)

Sorry no side videos on this :( shortened backswing (intended) and shallower back swing path(not intended)

I don't need side videos. I need to know where your head is at. You made a change that you think had been implemented but it hasn't. So you are feeling something different than what is actually happening.

In relation to the ball at address? behind the ball, ball is set up at the left arm pit position.

In relation to the ball at address? behind the ball, ball is set up at the left arm pit position.

i think he means what are you visualizing in your mind's eye? what are you trying to do. i think freddie is saying the two videos look the same, so you think you've made a change but nothing has actually changed. maybe he wants to first correct your thought process, and then give you something better and more effective to implement. i'm putting words in his mouth, though.

Oh I thought I address that in the first post: basically inconsistent striking, so would like more consistent striking, decided to shorten swing to help, now having heel strike/hosel striking issues. I honestly just want to get rid of the dreadful shanks/heel shots, everything else can go second.

Oh I thought I address that in the first post: basically inconsistent striking, so would like more consistent striking, decided to shorten swing to help, now having heel strike/hosel striking issues. I honestly just want to get rid of the dreadful shanks/heel shots, everything else can go second.
OK I will go at this a different way. Your swing from the first video is the same as the second video. Your attempt to shorten the swing did not take and it is way to long. The club dips below to backside at the top of your swing.

This is caused by a few things but the main thing I see is the your left foot is coming off the ground. everything but your toes are completely separated from the earth. The right leg is straight so there is nothing keeping you from a shortened swing. Keep the left heel on the ground and the right knee flexed. Once the shoulder reaches the chin on the back swing, it is complete. Anything past that and you are wasting valuable energy and taking yourself way out of position. These two things you need to work on before you can move forward.

Also check you alignment, it is way off. You shoulders are left of you target and your feet are right. The club will follow your shoulders.

You must work on your swing plane, you'll struggle until that is addressed. See a pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK I will go at this a different way. Your swing from the first video is the same as the second video. Your attempt to shorten the swing did not take and it is way to long. The club dips below to backside at the top of your swing.

This is caused by a few things but the main thing I see is the your left foot is coming off the ground. everything but your toes are completely separated from the earth. The right leg is straight so there is nothing keeping you from a shortened swing. Keep the left heel on the ground and the right knee flexed. Once the shoulder reaches the chin on the back swing, it is complete. Anything past that and you are wasting valuable energy and taking yourself way out of position. These two things you need to work on before you can move forward.

Also check you alignment, it is way off. You shoulders are left of you target and your feet are right. The club will follow your shoulders.

Will do, thanks!

Back