Contest - Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder - TWO Winners

I think it's great to have a device you can use in your everyday rounds that is also tourney legal. I think the slope feature from BN is really cool. I don't play in many tourneys but would love to have that option in my normal rounds. And then, when my member-member or club champ rolls around I can still use it without getting nervous about having non-conforming equipment. I would also add my home course has a TON of elevation change.

I have a Bushnell Tour v3 non slope version for the very reason slope was not allowed for tournament play. I think it's a good rule by the USGA. If it's an integrity thing I'm not sure why rounds played by a single can't towards a handicap.

The rule change doesn't impact me as I can't hit my shots with that type of accuracy. I think if the USGA should allow rangefinders with the "Slope" function, regardless of whether or not this function is used.
Players still have to hit their shots. Knowing the exact distance does not guarantee a perfect shot.

Yesterday I used slope during our round and still find it incredibly useful.

Yesterday I used slope during our round and still find it incredibly useful.

I'm curious to use it on my home course that I've played thousands of times to see how off my own distance judgement has been - and to see if it makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a Bushnell Tour X in early March, so I've played about 10 +/- rounds with it so far. It is a great tool that has helped with the correct club selection for shots from fairway woods to wedges. Just knowing what the correct yardage is very helpful, not that I can dial it in that perfect, but just the knowledge bring confidence. As for the rule the change it is long overdue, and should help speed up play. I also have a a Garmin G6 and while I will continue to carry both, the Tour X is the main go to! With the Tour X is is so simple to change modes, and everyone your playing with know what mode your using, that is the best way to go. All you do is snap on the red face plate for slope, or the black one for non-slope and your ready to go. I highly recommend the Tour X for meeting your needs.

I think the rule change is good. Some people like to use the slope function for casual rounds and having two range finders is just not practical. I personally don't use a rangefinder with slope as I feel figuring out the slope yourself is part of the game. I guess I feel like I would be cheating.

In my opinion I am a fan of the rule change. For practice rounds it already allows the players and caddies to use devices to mark down yardages. So to allow them to use the slope technology during practice rounds makes sense. I do like the fact that they have to turn it off during tournament rounds because that brings the human element back into play. IMO relying on yourself is what makes competitions most exciting.

I think it's a reasonable rule change. Shooting your distance while standing over your ball (as well as points in between) can (potentially) speed up pace of play. You still have to swing the club and make the shot - last I checked, rangefinders don't place your ball where you'd like it to be.

If allowed in tournament play, I think it would be prudent for the tournament committee to provide a standardized rangefinder to every golfer.

I like the rule change but think slope measuring should also be allowed. The players/caddies on tour have all this information anyways so why not allow them to use it during tourney rounds.

Think the rule change is great for amateurs. The slope function is great for practice rounds, being able to determine how far uphill or downhill the shot is. Pro golfers have their caddies determine the calculations for them, something amateurs are not fortunate enough to have at their disposal, so to have something close to that, then being able to turn it off during tournament play, offers a huge advantage to amateurs. Not to mention that mot everyone can afford to have a slope one for practice play, then a separate device for tournament play.

I think this rule change is great. When I bought my last range finder. I specifically bought one without the slope function because of tournament play. Having slope function could be of real benefit in a practice round. Especially for players who are not use to playing courses with significant elevation change.

This rule change is just another in a series of confusing rules changes from the USGA. We cannot be trusted to turn in true scores from solo rounds to build a handicap, but we can be trusted to turn slope function off in tournaments with something on the line. Don't get me wrong I am glad they made this rule change. It just seems to me the USGA makes rules that contradict themselves.

I really like the rule change. I don't yet own a rangefinder but the slope feature would be a big deciding feature for me. I not sure I see the difference between a device that measures distance as opposed to distance with slope. Both distances can be had by walking off yardages , which is time consuming and unnecessarily laborious. If you permit one feature, I agree on allowing the other.

Definitely in favor of the rule change. Having two devices, one for practice, one for competition made no sense. Technology is a factor in all facets of the game today. It would make sense tome to allow use of the slope function in tournament play. I think it would speed up the pace of play and potentially produce better competition.

I currently use a Tour X and I always have the slope enabled. Why? To make the game easier and take out the guesswork. I have never played in a tournament so having a slope enabled device has not been an issue. I do like the fact that they made this revision. For the simple fact that people do not have to purchase two range finders anymore. I kinda wish you could use slope functionality in a tournament but I can see the argument from the other side. Golf is already hard enough, I am all for making it easier and more fun.

I believe that for the average amateur the rule change is great. For the most part, my buddies and I operate in 5 yard gaps anyways and using the range finder may be the deciding factor for a club adjustment. This would take that one aspect out of the guessing game. For the pros, there should be little to no change. The caddies are good at knowing the yardages from multiple locations and making recommendations for the pro. At the end of the day, knowing the correct distance is only a part of the equation and if that can be made faster and better it can only make it more enjoyable for the average golfer.

I'm fine with the rule change, the way I see it is in tournament play I won't be flighted with people where knowing the elevation change is gonna make that much of a difference. Also if it's banned in tournament play, and the competitor is serious he can take notes on a previous round there using it.

I like the rule change overall. I think it helps process information for the golfer which will improve the golfer and even the quality of the game itself.
It is a good solid rule because it allows the amateur golfer a chance to use the technology but then use the same rangefinder in tournament play as long as he complies with the slope rule.
It is like having a caddie with me on the course and I'm the end I still have to perform the shot.
I currently do not own a rangefinder but when I do buy one (very soon) I am going to get one that I can turn the slope on/off and be in compliance. The technology is just too good not to use.

Unlike some of the other rules changes <cough>handicap recording<cough>, this one empowers the golfer! If you are playing a tournament and can get out to the course early, you'll now have data instead of going in blind. Also, knowing the slope when playing recreational rounds begins to form concepts of distance changes even without the extra day, you'll now have the experience of what a certain slope change looks like and how it changes your distance. Great for us amateur golfers!

I like the rule change very much but wish they would allows pros to use. Not only would it dramatically speed up play but make watching more enjoyable as there would not be any walk offs, long discussions, etc prior to pro selecting a club. With pros having the latest and greatest in technology in their equipment and apparel I don't see the reasoning of continuing the way it has been for 100 years.

I think this is a good rule change. I assume that older slope-capable rangefinders where you enabled/disabled slope by swapping front bezels were also prohibited, and will now also be legal. The only downside I can see is models like the new Tour V4 could potentially be placed into slope mode inadvertently, which could have repercussions if done during a tournament. Has a penalty for such been set forth? Strokes added? Loss of hole in match play? Auto DQ? There looks like there may be some loose ends to tie up here.

Don't care one way or another on the rule change. How many people need that kind of accuracy compared to their shot accuracy? It would be better used to figure out eg: how far to that tree/bunker etc, more important to know where the trouble lies than that the pin is that 158 yds and 1* down.

I think the rule change was great, but I'm in the camp that would go a step further. I don't really see any downside to allowing the slope function to remain on. It's not like rangefinders are being used in PGA events. But any change that makes golf more accessible to the average player is good with me.

Get those entries in people! Just a friendly reminder that the deadline for this is tomorrow, April 5th.

I think the rule change was great, but I'm in the camp that would go a step further. I don't really see any downside to allowing the slope function to remain on. It's not like rangefinders are being used in PGA events. But any change that makes golf more accessible to the average player is good with me.

Im with you here.

Back