Multiple putters with different setups

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
While I have a couple in my collection, I'm not a putter ho like others. I have 4 with basically 4 different setups. Is that common? I'm thinking about having all of them setup to the same length/lie/grip. Right now I have:
Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 @ 34"
Taylormade Ghost @ 33"
Cleveland Rho @ 35"
Odyssey Indianapolis @ 36"
There's no real putter fitting places close. So I'm either traveling 2-1/2 hours to seemore to buy ANOTHER putter or just going with what's comfortable and setting all 4 up to match.

2.5 hours ain't nothin'. If the cost is bearable, I'd lean that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2.5 hours ain't nothin'. If the cost is bearable, I'd lean that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree. A fitting would always be best.

While I have a couple in my collection, I'm not a putter ho like others. I have 4 with basically 4 different setups. Is that common? I'm thinking about having all of them setup to the same length/lie/grip. Right now I have:
Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 @ 34"
Taylormade Ghost @ 33"
Cleveland Rho @ 35"
Odyssey Indianapolis @ 36"
There's no real putter fitting places close. So I'm either traveling 2-1/2 hours to seemore to buy ANOTHER putter or just going with what's comfortable and setting all 4 up to match.

Schedule a 45 minute putting lesson with a local PGA professional instructor, and bring your inventory of 4 putters. The instructor will evaluate your putting technique , including grip-posture-alignment, and he/she will work to improve your technique as well as recommend putter specifications that are a good fit for you.

Schedule a 45 minute putting lesson with a local PGA professional instructor, and bring your inventory of 4 putters. The instructor will evaluate your putting technique , including grip-posture-alignment, and he/she will work to improve your technique as well as recommend putter specifications that are a good fit for you.
That's the problem, there aren't a lot of good options locally for fitting. The fitters in this area want to sell you an off the rack Scotty not put any effort into fitting. The closest place is Seemore about 2-1/2 hours away. That is an option, just might be summer or later before I can make that happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's the problem, there aren't a lot of good options locally for fitting. The fitters in this area want to sell you an off the rack Scotty not put any effort into fitting. The closest place is Seemore about 2-1/2 hours away. That is an option, just might be summer or later before I can make that happen.

I did not recommend a "fitting".
I suggested you schedule a putting lesson with a local PGA professional instructor. Mostly the instructor will work on improving your technique (grip-posture-alignment). After working with you on your technique, the instructor will also recommend a particular putter length, lie angle , loft, and grip size (putter specifications).

Not sure if there are any local, I'll do some research.

Can't go wrong with a SeeMore and the guys there are great at fitting and getting you into what you want and need. I would go there and get fit to your proper specs. Then take that information and also set your current putter stable to those same specs.

Most every 18 hole regulation golf course has a PGA member pro/instructor.

If you're going to seek someone out, I'd honestly do the drive to SeeMore. They have an instruction component if you're looking for that (though I think putting is more about comfort than anything and you'll hear the same thing from instructors like Stockton), and you know the people you see there are top notch. If you just find a random PGA pro, there's no guarantee they are really well-versed on equipment.

Most every 18 hole regulation golf course has a PGA member pro/instructor.
I'm kind of in a golf vacuum locally. Our local country club just went belly up, my local course is a goat path, with only a snack shop/sign in and no instruction. The other options are private only or retail (Dicks) or self proclaimed "experts" i.e. Who I was referring to above. So...looks like I'll likely drive to Seemore.

I'm kind of in a golf vacuum locally. Our local country club just went belly up, my local course is a goat path, with only a snack shop/sign in and no instruction. The other options are private only or retail (Dicks) or self proclaimed "experts" i.e. Who I was referring to above. So...looks like I'll likely drive to Seemore.

Private country clubs are a great place to find PGA instructors. The teaching pros are dependent on lessons for income, and are typically permitted to give lessons to non members.
Also, private country clubs usually have a well maintained putting green, which is ideal for a putting lesson.

I don't think it's uncommon to have multiple putter styles. I currently have 2 blades and 3 mallets, I can recall switching back and forth between the two styles maybe half a dozen times over the last decade probably. Mainly did it for the entire year to get more accustom to it, but now that I understand my stroke and misses, it has allowed me to better understand the best putter type for me, and when I try the other styles I now can feel the difference in a different way.

If you have the time to go 2.5 hours and back and funds to possibly purchase a new putter I think the drive would be beneficial. If you don't get a putter you can at least get a better understanding on what style and length, lie, loft, grip you should have and can take that information to a reputable expert to make putter adjustments. Good luck with everything!!

Back