One Single Course For The PGA Championship

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We had a thread about choosing a course for a different major and some really good thoughts were in there and some that decided they wanted to change the question. In this case, here is a new scenario. For many the PGA Championship is the "least" of the 4 majors, and you are placed in charge as way to change the game for this 4th major.

You are tasked with choosing the course in the US that would be its home for the rest of time, the way Augusta National is for the Masters. Here are the rules.

The course must be in the continental US.
It must not be currently used for another PGA Tour Event.
It must not have hosted any major in the past.

So THPers, what do you say to bring the PGA Championship to its new permanent home?

Just as I was saying in the other thread it would be way more interesting if you could not pick a course that has had a major you deliver.

The Dormie Club, it is a tour caliber course in every way and would be a great course for that event.

Butler National Golf Club in Illinois

TPC at Harding Park.

I think my answer fits this one better. Hammock Dunes

TPC at Harding Park.
hosting 2020 PGA already and this years WGC but not sure if they are going to Austin for WGC next year

hosting 2020 PGA already and this years WGC but not sure if they are going to Austin for WGC next year

So it still meets the criteria then.

Colbert Hills, Manhattan KS 4982 from the front tees, 7525 from the black tees. 92 bunkers, numerous creeks.

Sand Hills in Nebraska.

So it still meets the criteria then.

Picking a course already chosen for the PGA seems against the spirit of the question.

Medinah.That place just speaks history and respect.

Medinah.That place just speaks history and respect.

Unfortunately that one does not qualify as it has hosted a few majors.

Bandon

The Pete Dye course at French Lick. Only because it's an hour away...

RTJ where held the president's cup ( if you don't consider that major)!

Butler National Golf Club in Illinois

They wouldn't touch that place with a 10 foot pole ever again due do it being a MEN'S ONLY club.

I'm a huge fan of AW Tillinghast's designs, and really just think they sort of personify classic American course design, so I nominate something like Quaker Ridge or Somerset Hills. I would say San Francisco Golf Club, but I don't think it could get beefed up enough to host a major given its location.

I'd like to see Cog Hill, just cuz it's 45mins from my house. Otherwise, how about Chicago Golf Club (which hasn't hosted a major in 100+ years) or Pine Valley.

Caves Valley C.C in MD. Hosted Seniors event and the first international crown for lpga. Bonus is close to the house so I can go every year

I'd like to see Cog Hill, just cuz it's 45mins from my house. Otherwise, how about Chicago Golf Club (which hasn't hosted a major in 100+ years) or Pine Valley.

Pine Valley - 100%

155 Slope from the Championship tees and more than 7,000 yds. Let's make this the home of the PGA Championship!

First course that came to mind was Pine Valley. I agree with OITW and TM_Bobby, that place would be perfect.

I just don't know enough courses to offer a legitimate answer here, but I love the responses so far. Pine Valley didn't come to my mind but I think it's a great option.

Back