If your budget was $60, what driver would you recommend?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for a used driver, and I'm only budgeting $60 for it. Obviously, I'm looking at some old school choices on eBay and I'd like some recommendations.

I'm leaning towards the old TaylorMade R7 (I actually have a R7 TP 3-wood and I just love it!). This was a very popular driver back in the day as I recall, but I never owned or even hit one. I think the 425-cc head is the one I'm thinking about.

One factor I'd like to consider is whether a 460cc head is a "must" from a technology perspective.

Looking forward to any recommendations, and thanks in advance for your comments :)

Used xr16

You should be able to find the Callaway XR 16 / XR 16 Pro for $60-80 on eBay. I had that driver prior to the Rogue and thought it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some players 425CC is easier to consistently square at impact than a 450CC or 460CC driver. Also, the R7's interchangeable weights will allow you to play a shaft length and grip weight you like, while at the same time achieving your preferred swing weight. So, R7 is a great choice.

I would second a XR16 and throw in a Wilson Triton DVD. I got the Wilson new at Thanksgiving delivered for about $80 and it is in my bag. I have 2 R7 drivers in my basement, a 10.5 and 11.5 both in regular flex and both 460cc head. If you want to go that direction then shoot me a PM.

XR16 that has been mentioned it a great suggestion. Also should be able to find a Callaway Great Big Bertha (pre-Epic) for around that price also.

Used xr16

Just checked on eBay and they run about $100 for a right-handed driver with a stiff shaft. What do you like about that driver may I ask?

IMO 460cc is a smart thing to do.

I don’t think you are going to have to go as far back as you think. I wouldn’t be surprised if - with some digging- you could find a Ping G30, Callaway EPIC or XR16, or a Cobra F7 in your price range.

Just checked on eBay and they run about $100 for a right-handed driver with a stiff shaft. What do you like about that driver may I ask?
I found one last year for $65 just gotta keep an eye out.

Great launch with great distance and super forgiving. I actually went back to it for awhile and hit it better than the epic

Adams Fast 12LS

Cobra Amp Cell or Bio Cell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow - those are very inexpensive on eBay I just noticed. What do you like about the Cobra drivers? Oh, and is there differences other than aesthetics among the various color options?

I'd look for a used Bio Cell +. Low spinning bomber with 8 loft settings spanning 8-11*. Quick ebay scan showed some listed in the 60s.

Wow - those are very inexpensive on eBay I just noticed. What do you like about the Cobra drivers? Oh, and is there differences other than aesthetics among the various color options?
Their standard options (not + or pro models) tend to be very forgiving, in my opinion. No differences aside from color.

Their standard options (not + or pro models) tend to be very forgiving, in my opinion. No differences aside from color.

Thanks Paladin - I may have to consider one of these at the prices I'm seeing! Lots of votes for the XR16 though... I do appreciate the recommendations from everyone!

Cobra Bio cell. I bought mine for $60 and love it. Oldest club in the bag. Haha

I still play the XR 16 nothing has beaten it out of the bag yet would definitely recommend

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

XR16/GBB or even a X2hot. I still bounce back and forth between XR and GBB

Cobra Amp Cell Pro was an awesome driver straight and low spin!!

XR16 by a monumental landslide.

Still the best Callaway driver I’ve ever hit.

I'm in the market for a used driver, and I'm only budgeting $60 for it. Obviously, I'm looking at some old school choices on eBay and I'd like some recommendations.

I'm leaning towards the old TaylorMade R7 (I actually have a R7 TP 3-wood and I just love it!). This was a very popular driver back in the day as I recall, but I never owned or even hit one. I think the 425-cc head is the one I'm thinking about.

One factor I'd like to consider is whether a 460cc head is a "must" from a technology perspective.

Looking forward to any recommendations, and thanks in advance for your comments :)

I've got a couple R7 TP's if you think this is the club for you. PM if you are interested. After reading the struggles you're going through in another thread one of them is yours if you want it.

I think both that I have are the 425cc but would have to be home to confirm that. I know at least one them is.

Edit-sorry that was Gator Boy that I was thinking of with the problems. Offer still stands though since it was my mistake.

Srixon Z355.

Titleist 913 or 915. The 915 would be a bit more probably but I believe it's one of the better heads

Back