2016 Carolina/DMV RR Travel/Extra Rounds

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Most of the team members have been picked so I thought I would start the thread for travel ideas and extra round, because we all love more golf.

Travel: There are several hotels in the area depending on how far from the course you would like to stay. In the northern Newport News area we have 4 right next to the interstate and it is a 45 minute drive to the course. I have a good friend in the area that works for one of the hotels and can work on prices for anyone interested. You can stay a little closer in Williamsburg but the cost is will be more seeing how it is in the peak of tourist season. There are several hotels, resorts, bed in breakfast in the area so you have lots to choose from. Richmond is 35 minutes north of the course so you are looking at the same situation as Newport News.

Golf: There are all most as many golf courses in the area to play extra rounds at as there are hotels. In Newport News you have Kiln Creek and anything else is not worth playing or is private. Williamsburg you have the Ford's Colony courses, Stonehouse, Golden Horseshoe courses, Kiskiack, Williamsburg National (don't recommend), Kingsmill if you are staying on the resort, and Colonial Heritage. I would suggest Colonial Heritage as it is a great track and would best prepare you for New Kent IMO. Just north of Williamsburg you have New Kent, Brickshire and Viniterra, all good to play. And once again if you go north to Richmond you have a plethora to choose from.

Attractions: Great Wolf Lodge, Bush Gardens, Water Country in Williamsburg along with Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. There are some little go cart tracks and batting cages also in Williamsburg, along with the Prime Outlets for the wives. If you look in Newport News you have the the Virginia Living Museum, and if you travel across the HRBT to Norfolk you have the Zoo and the Tides. Tides are the Orioles AAA team.

Food: From Wiliamsburg down you will find any and everything to eat and drink.

Directions: Some GPS will bring you in on through Colonial Downs and it has you come down a dirt road (Kent Field RD)to the course. If you don't want to go down the dirt road stay straight on 155(courthouse road) when you exit the interstate and then make a left on to Kentland Parkway. This will take you in the other side and you don't have to drive down the dirt road.

Im sure there is something I left off but can add latter. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Early in our marriage, my wife and I used to vacation in Williamsburg each spring. We hit a sweet spot in early April when you could ride any coaster at Busch Gardens without a line. We loved that area a ton. I've talked to her about possibly coming with me, should I get in, but she's very noncommittal at this point. It's such a great area.

I come down a couple times a year with the family. I have season passes to BG and have done a Guy's trip there playing RNK, Both Golden Horseshoe courses (my Avatar is from the gold course there) and Kingsmill. Haven't played anything else as the rest of the family is in tow but I plan to change that this season :D

I will not be on Team DMV but I hope to be able to head down and play this course and do a little scouting for the team. I am thinking about some weekend in May so this might be cool to get others to join me.

Even if I'm not a Captain's pick, I am down that way pretty much every weekend in the summer. (since it's not too far from the beach house) So I'll be down for some "preview" rounds there as well as some rounds before the RR. Even if it is with the competition! :banana: JK of course!

Thanks Lynchburg. I still have some hotel connections as well, but I'll wait until THP puts out the official hotel of choice, and will most likely stay there Friday and Saturday night.

Ill be in Williamsburg for work the week of March 7th. We are playing Kingsmill, Golden Horshoe and Colonial Heritage. On Thursday, I may try and get to RNK on the way home.

So so ill get some good scouting in hopefully.

Pretty sure, given the schedule, this will be a "me only" trip. Probably head up early morning Friday so I can get an afternoon round in. Most likely will head back late Saturday evening (it's only a 4.5 hr trip for me) after the awards dinner so I can get back to the wife and little one.

Looks like my wife wants to tag along with the kids and possibly hit Busch Gardens that day while I'm on the course.

We'll probably arrive Friday afternoon or evening and head out sometime on Sunday because of work.

Either way... looking forward to the weekend, for sure!

Thanks for putting this thread together.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Thanks Lynchburg. I still have some hotel connections as well, but I'll wait until THP puts out the official hotel of choice, and will most likely stay there Friday and Saturday night.

Ill be in Williamsburg for work the week of March 7th. We are playing Kingsmill, Golden Horshoe and Colonial Heritage. On Thursday, I may try and get to RNK on the way home.

So so ill get some good scouting in hopefully.

I may make a day trip to join you if you decide to squeeze it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may make a day trip to join you if you decide to squeeze it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, once I get it confirmed that Thursday is truly getaway day with nothing scheduled, I'll let you know.

Yep, once I get it confirmed that Thursday is truly getaway day with nothing scheduled, I'll let you know.

I may be able to work something out Rob!

My wife & daughter are a maybe for coming down for a day before and the Saturday of RR.

I definitely plan on playing a couple rounds there in the months leading to RR...

I'm hoping to be able to come up Friday morning and get an afternoon round in as well. I would love to carpool up with one of the Carolina guys if possible. I would probably be looking at staying at least Friday night, maybe Saturday.

If selected I'll come up Friday morning for an extra round and stay Saturday night. I probably wont' be able to drive home Saturday night after celebrating the Carolinas victory!:curl-lip: I'm not sure yet if my wife will travel with me or if I'm going solo.

I updated the first post with directions to skip the dirt road into the course for those who don't want to go down it. I personally prefer to go down it and get a little Dukes of Hazzard on as I drive.

I updated the first post with directions to skip the dirt road into the course for those who don't want to go down it. I personally prefer to go down it and get a little Dukes of Hazzard on as I drive.

Careful driving to the course on the highway lots of cops around or at least there was the one time I drove up there...........

Careful driving to the course on the highway lots of cops around or at least there was the one time I drove up there...........

Everytime i drove thru there over the years it was cop heaven.

Bump as talk of practice rounds is increasing.

Thanks Lynchburg!!

Thank you for the bump buddy,

mesaman and Tom, I can play at noon if that works for you guys.

I was only going to work 1/2 day but depending on what's going on I may take whole day Friday and be up for late morning/early afternoon round.

Thank you for the bump buddy,

mesaman and Tom, I can play at noon if that works for you guys.

Hey Trout. Anytime from noon on will work for me, I really don't need an excuse to leave work early. I guess it really depends on the other guys coming up since they are making the long journey. Lets see what they say.

Noon is good, anyone who wants in on Thursday post here and I'll set it up

I was only going to work 1/2 day but depending on what's going on I may take whole day Friday and be up for late morning/early afternoon round.
I may not be able to decide until that week, but my current plan is the same for a 1/2 day. Maybe some range work that afternoon or possibly even 9 holes depending on weather and time.

If we're talking July. I'm taking half day Thursday and all of Friday off. Probably drive down Thursday.

If we're talking July. I'm taking half day Thursday and all of Friday off. Probably drive down Thursday.
Emart and I were talking July the week of the event.

I think Deuce and others are planning a trip up there in a few weeks.

Emart and I were talking July the week of the event.

I think Deuce and others are planning a trip up there in a few weeks.
I'm planning on coming down early Thrusday morning so anything Thursday afternoon and Friday will be great by me! Anyone have or know where the best hotel reservations can be had?

Back