Good not Great Question?

bodog

Reaction score
How do YOU define good as opposed to great. I won 1st flight more than once in both stroke and match play at the club I was a long time member of, but I never finished top 5 in Championship flight.

I think I was pretty good.

Winning Championship flight wouldn't have meant I was GREAT, but I would have felt "better".

I post this because I've been fortunate to play with some VERY VERY good golfers who didn't think they were good enough. Great is a moving target...hope some of you attain it!

It will probably vary for people. I would think anything in the single digits and my e stretch to an 11 would be good and very good would be guys in the scratch to + category. Great would be the golfers making tons of money on the big tours.

If I'm a 20, I should be hitting in the vicinity of that handicap, enough to place in tournaments or win bets with the boys, even those way better than me.

Of course, if I'm 20 now, I should be an 18 before the year is over.

That's how I define good.

Close to or below my handicap.

Good to me would be better than scratch that travels and compete well in city tournaments knowing you have a chance to shoot par or better while the pressure is on.

Good to me would be better than scratch that travels and compete well in city tournaments knowing you have a chance to shoot par or better while the pressure is on.

I would call that VERY GOOD.

I thing this falls under the impossible question to answer category because it will vary for everyone. When I was shooting in the 90s, i thought that anyone in the 70s to low 80s was a great golfer. now that I can score in the 70s I think I am a very good golfer, but not a great golfer. Great golf for me is now par and down into the 60s and regularly plays in local tournaments.

I've shot an 89. I've been golfing for 3 years. Most people who have played the game have never even broke 100 yet still are out there every weekend. That was a good round for me, but it still was not a great round.

I consider shooting 43 or under for 9 holes playing well. That would satisfy me. At my age I don't think I could do much better.

A great round for me would be to break 80.

A guy I played with last weekend carded 1 eagle on a par4 (he drove the green) and 3 birdies elsewhere. He shot 15 strokes below his handicap; his round was like the Caddyshack preacher round without the rain, lightening and death. For him is was a Great round.

Back