Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

I don't consider myself to be "stuffy old guard". I just think it is a terrible look. I don't care if the tour allows it. If it appeals to the younger generation, fine, let them wear it. It isn't something I would choose to wear.

Yah no thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. IMO it has to be done the right way to preserve the game and make sure the young kids know how to "act" on a course, etc.., but we have to attract them & if this gets more kids at least wanting to try or look at playing golf, I'm all for it.

I'm amazed how many orange puma hats I see in be crowd when the tv coverage scans the fans. I think the interest can be there if leveraged/marketed right.

No thanks! If they allow that then what happens when Loudmouth clothing starts making them, h3ll no!

Not for me, but I don't have a problem with it. You can still have your top button buttoned and your pleated pants, but if this will help grow the game, I'm all for it.

They're definitely not for me. If it brings more people to the game, or at least gets more people talking about the game, then I'm all for it!

All I can think of is this movie when I saw the thread title:
1bf9a44512b3985e6dbaac2fd6cfb03b.jpg

I don't have much of an opinion either way on the subject. Probably not something that would end up in my closet, but don't really care if others choose to wear it.

I don't consider myself to be "stuffy old guard". I just think it is a terrible look. I don't care if the tour allows it. If it appeals to the younger generation, fine, let them wear it. It isn't something I would choose to wear.
I was going to post the same thing. Frankly it's getting annoying to read that if I like the current dress code I'm stuffy or part of the old guard. Comments like that make me shake my head.

I think the look is a bit silly and while I've worn compression for warmth under pants many times, I see no reason to wear shorts with them. Doesn't make much sense to me with how good pant tech is nowadays.

I was going to post the same thing. Frankly it's getting annoying to read that if I like the current dress code I'm stuffy or part of the old guard. Comments like that make me shake my head.

I think the look is a bit silly and while I've worn compression for warmth under pants many times, I see no reason to wear shorts with them. Doesn't make much sense to me with how good pant tech is nowadays.
Seconded.

And the fact is as simple as I think it's a fugly look and concept by Nike that borders on exclusionary. That company amazes me at times, and not in a good way, for as "legendary" as their marketing is I other sports they still haven't figured out golf isn't basketball and you can't force a square peg in a round hole by calling one side stuffy.

Groupthink! If anyone has an opinion that differs from the mainstream, that person is automatically labeled a "hater" or "old guard" or some other disparaging term.

I really can't imagine the PGA Tour or even many private golf course allowing tights under shorts.

Why would a private club prohibit the use of wearing something under shorts?
Thats like saying they dont allow high circulation socks.

LPGA is fine with it, along with shorts. Just look at Michelle Wie.

I saw a picture on Twitter yesterday. Thought the outfit looked silly. Also thought I left that look behind when I graduated college and stopped running T&F.

You wear tights because it's cold, you wear shorts because it's warm. You don't wear tights with shorts.

Why would a private club prohibit the use of wearing something under shorts?
Thats like saying they dont allow high circulation socks.

There's nothing in our club rules that wouldn't allow it. It's not a super stuffy course, but we do enforce the dress code.

I don't have an issue with it. But I don't really get why you'd wear these instead of just pants.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Honest question, how are tights or compression pants under shorts any different than this?

Rory%20McIlroy

Just my opinion but those shirts are typically worn for core warmth. You don't see anyone wearing them in certain temperatures. If anyone is wearing tights for warmth, they wouldn't be under shorts for any logical reason.

Just my opinion but those shirts are typically worn for core warmth. You don't see anyone wearing them in certain temperatures. If anyone is wearing tights for warmth, they wouldn't be under shorts for any logical reason.

Why not just wear a long sleeve collared shirt?

Also, I would argue that the temperature thing is not entirely true. Some people wear long sleeves for sun protection and others for compression fit due to muscle or joint pain.

If the temperature thing isn't entirely true, why did Nike call them the "Hyperwarm"? The purpose is in the name. To. Keep. You. Warm.

If people want to wear tights under shorts, I mean more power to them. Personally, I just think it looks dumb.

PS: Compression clothing doesn't improve performance.

Why not just wear a long sleeve collared shirt?

Also, I would argue that the temperature thing is not entirely true. Some people wear long sleeves for sun protection and others for compression fit due to muscle or joint pain.

Then why not just wear pants?

If the temperature thing isn't entirely true, why did Nike call them the "Hyperwarm"? The purpose is in the name.

That's one specific line name, which is not even new for Nike. It's only what Nike chose to highlight in the add. No one said that if you wanted to wear tights under your shorts that they had to be Nike Hyperwarm.

Then why not just wear pants?

Then if you're not going to approve compression under shorts, why allow compression under polos?

If the temperature thing isn't entirely true, why did Nike call them the "Hyperwarm"? The purpose is in the name. To. Keep. You. Warm.

If people want to wear tights under shorts, I mean more power to them. Personally, I just think it looks dumb.

Agreed on all fronts. It's a ridiculous look in my opinion but I won't be losing sleep over kids wearing it around my club. I can't imagine too many people wearing it for sun protection. Talk about swamp-ass.

I think that's the key that the PGA tour, USGA and the PGA need to keep in mind while trying to grow he game. Appeal to the youth and grow from there.

exactly. They keep talking about wanting to grow the game but lack any decisions that are doing that.

I saw a picture on Twitter yesterday. Thought the outfit looked silly. Also thought I left that look behind when I graduated college and stopped running T&F.

You wear tights because it's cold, you wear shorts because it's warm. You don't wear tights with shorts.

the tights are also for recovery and used for joint warmth, which I believe is what Freddie answered when I asked the other day if the pga reviews for for the performance factor.

Like any other style something will be for some and not for others. The tights with shorts will appeal to some and apparently not with many. Same with high tops, long socks like any of the Asian women wear or sun sleeves, joggers, flat bill hats. So many different styles out there that a golfer can find a way to express themselves.

Agreed on all fronts. It's a ridiculous look in my opinion but I won't be losing sleep over kids wearing it around my club. I can't imagine too many people wearing it for sun protection. Talk about swamp-ass.
The tights might actually help with swamp ass, as the fabrics tend to wick sweat away from your body.

Back