2019 Bandon Solstice

mtx56

Reaction score
Handicap
Booked a spot in the Bandon Dunes Solstice event in June. Wondering if anyone else on here is going or been before. This will be my father-in-law and my first trip to Bandon. Any trip advice would be greatly appreciated, but just looking to see if anyone else got in as well.

Have fun. Thats the most important tip : )

Sounds like a blast. A couple of us are heading there for the first time later this year.

Booked a spot in the Bandon Dunes Solstice event in June. Wondering if anyone else on here is going or been before. This will be my father-in-law and my first trip to Bandon. Any trip advice would be greatly appreciated, but just looking to see if anyone else got in as well.
i did a review of the entire place a while ago. Just search for Bandon. But beware, it’s super long.

Bandon Dunes Solstice Event :

Every June, many courageous guests set out on an epic journey that tests the mind, body, and swings of each player brave enough to attempt it. 72 holes in one day!

Have fun and welcome to THP.

I keep pondering that with my buddies every year, never pulled the trigger on it, have fun, can't wait to hear what it's like for you.

I have a handful of guys that say they would love to do something like this, but I know I could never get them to commit. This year it's me and father-in-law. I wish I were going to play bandon my first time as a normal golf trip, but couldn't pass up the opportunity since we got in. I really like planning trips like this so of course I am over thinking about everything. We are going to go out a day early so we can soak in the facilities and practice at shorties and the punchbowl. 72 holes is a ton of walking so we thought we'd pace our selves and not try to squeeze in other rounds beforehand.

We are planning on flying into Eugene and then driving down to bandon. Any cool places to stop on the way down?

I would recommend getting comfortable shoes, light bags, stock up on advil/aleve and prep for rain even though it is June. It is a fun time, but I have been pretty tuckered out after walking 36 in a day there, playing all 4 full length courses in 1 day cannot be easy especially since all of them are exclusively walking (unless you have a medical issue at which point you will have to pay for a caddy so they can drive the cart).

Do you just call Bandon and request to to try to get in?

In the past you would call in and be added to a list. Then they would do a lottery drawing for the guests. This year they changed it up, you still needed to call in and be put on the list. But then they sent out an email to the list telling us that reservation lines open at 9:00 am PST on Nov. 19. The list was filled almost instantly, then people got put on a waiting list. Once you got through to the reservation group, you could book anywhere from 1-12 people. But you had to pay for everyone while on the call ($1485). I know there are some people that booked a twosome or foursome that need people to fill in. Just like any golf trip, things come up and people drop out, especially since it was 7 months out.

I played Bandon in July of last year.

They do not allow carts at Bandon. I did 36-holes in one day and it darn near killed me. Bandon (meaning the entire property) is not an easy walk. There are lots of small elevation changes that add up quickly.

They do allow push carts, but unless you are in top physical shape, I would HIGHLY recommend you pay for a caddie on all 4 rounds.

I'd also recommend you start training now. I know I sound like I'm being over-dramatic, but I cannot stress enough how difficult this is going to be.

I have a handful of guys that say they would love to do something like this, but I know I could never get them to commit. This year it's me and father-in-law. I wish I were going to play bandon my first time as a normal golf trip, but couldn't pass up the opportunity since we got in. I really like planning trips like this so of course I am over thinking about everything. We are going to go out a day early so we can soak in the facilities and practice at shorties and the punchbowl. 72 holes is a ton of walking so we thought we'd pace our selves and not try to squeeze in other rounds beforehand.

We are planning on flying into Eugene and then driving down to bandon. Any cool places to stop on the way down?
I've done that drive numerous times. Sorry, none that I'm aware of. From the airport, I prefer to immediately head west, get to the coast and drive down to Bandon from there. It is a little bit faster, you go through some small coastal towns and you'll go past the Oregon Dunes (A park / preserve area), which is a really nice teaser to get you excited for your final destination.

I like your day 1 play a lot.

Do you just call Bandon and request to to try to get in?
If you are going to stay on property you'll need to make that reservation in advance.

If you want to play a specific course - Pacific or Bandon in particular - you will either need to make the reservation in advance or be very flexible about time of day you can play.

If you just want to show up and have no preference for which course you will play you can almost certainly do that, but heads up you are pretty likely going to end up on Trails.

I played Bandon in July of last year.

They do not allow carts at Bandon. I did 36-holes in one day and it darn near killed me. Bandon (meaning the entire property) is not an easy walk. There are lots of small elevation changes that add up quickly.

They do allow push carts, but unless you are in top physical shape, I would HIGHLY recommend you pay for a caddie on all 4 rounds.

I'd also recommend you start training now. I know I sound like I'm being over-dramatic, but I cannot stress enough how difficult this is going to be.
IMO Trails and Old Mac are harder walks. But it is still true that you will have more fun if you show up with your walking legs ready to go.

IMO Trails and Old Mac are harder walks. But it is still true that you will have more fun if you show up with your walking legs ready to go.

F Old Mac!!!! Ha! Kidding, not kidding. There are some steep holes on that course. Now add in 20-30mph winds makes for a fun round. F you Old Mac!!

There is a big golf shop called Fiddler's Green just north of the Eugene airport if anyone has any time to blow. It's probably the second best local golf shop in the valley behind Redtail in Portland.

I certainly wouldn't argue with your assessment, you being the local expert and all.

However, after playing 18 on Bandon (the easiest walk), Pacific was not an easy walk. The course itself is not that elevated, but there's lots of elevated tee boxes and long uphill paths to those tee boxes.

I was absolutely spent after walking 36.

I certainly wouldn't argue with your assessment, you being the local expert and all.

However, after playing 18 on Bandon (the easiest walk), Pacific was not an easy walk. The course itself is not that elevated, but there's lots of elevated tee boxes and long uphill paths to those tee boxes.

I was absolutely spent after walking 36.

Bandon is definitely the "easiest" walk but they are all fairly challenging. Trails has the most elevation changes with some pretty steep climbs drops. Our forecaddie told me that the hardest double for a day is Trails/Old Mac and I would concur, he said he double bagged both courses in a day and when he got home he fell asleep in his chair after taking off his shoes.

Walking all 4 in a day.... well I don't think I could pull that off right now.

Yeah I definitely am getting my walking legs ready. Reading other peoples write ups on the event, they average just over 26 miles of walking during this day. And that is not on a flat road. I've been walking a ton lately on the treadmill, and plan on walking most of my rounds in the spring.

Something that really helped me get through 36 in a day at Bandon was bringing 2 pairs of shoes and changing socks after every round. Do a lot of walking in those shoes before the event to avoid blisters (fitness be damned, these are the things that can take me down the quickest). Plus, there's nothing better than a new pair of socks to recharge the feet after a tough walk.

Something that really helped me get through 36 in a day at Bandon was bringing 2 pairs of shoes and changing socks after every round. Do a lot of walking in those shoes before the event to avoid blisters (fitness be damned, these are the things that can take me down the quickest). Plus, there's nothing better than a new pair of socks to recharge the feet after a tough walk.

I would concur with have a pair of socks to change into between each round.

and maybe undies. Just saying............:D

When you walk 72 in a day you load up on talcum powder and go commando.

When you walk 72 in a day you load up on talcum powder and go commando.

Vaseline in case of an emergency (break glass here). Funny story I'll tell ya in Lake Tahoe about this and the Morgan Cup (orig).

Back