Nikon Coolshot 20 laser finder review

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
If you are thinking of getting one, don’t. Total crap!! End of review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggled with my last Nikon unit like crazy. What is giving you fits?

If you are thinking of getting one, don’t. Total crap!! End of review.

I've enjoyed my Nikon Coolshot 20 for two years . The size is ideal, it works great, no issues.

Yeah I’ve been using one for about a year now... I’d say C+. For the price, great but anything over 180 yards, it has issues locking on to a target. If there are a lot of things in the background, it takes a few tries to get the actual yardage. BUT... it’s better than not having a yardage. Fresh battery after 15 rounds did help a lot though. So can’t complain too much.

I struggled with my last Nikon unit like crazy. What is giving you fits?

So granted, I’m comparing it to the Bushnell V4 that was double the price. However, it seems to be useless over 150 yards. There were 3 holes I played today where the thing refused to lock onto the flag. All distances were around 200 yards. I tried sweeping back and forth over the flag, pointing right at the flag, even holding my breath and pointing at the flag. Way too inconsistent for me. I’m returning it for another bushnell. A prime example of you get what you pay for I guess.

Sorry to hear it. Mine can very easily target flags over 300 yards away.

I did have difficulty early on though, it was extremely inconsistent locking onto targets, even those not so far away.

In my case, I discovered it to be user error. Due to the small size, I guess it was very easy for me to interfere with the return lens on the unit. Once I consciously placed my support hand under and away from any possible interference, it's been 100% on point.

I don’t think my hand was in the way, but it certainly could have been. It’s definitely quite a compact unit.

So granted, I’m comparing it to the Bushnell V4 that was double the price. However, it seems to be useless over 150 yards. There were 3 holes I played today where the thing refused to lock onto the flag. All distances were around 200 yards. I tried sweeping back and forth over the flag, pointing right at the flag, even holding my breath and pointing at the flag. Way too inconsistent for me. I’m returning it for another bushnell. A prime example of you get what you pay for I guess.

I had the same struggle. FWIW, I have no struggle with Precision Pro which is less expensive than Bushnell

I had the same struggle. FWIW, I have no struggle with Precision Pro which is less expensive than Bushnell

I’ve had some similar issues with mine. It’s not a terrible unit, but if I had it to do over again I’d buy a precision pro, I just didn’t know about them before I bought my Nikon.

I read the thread regarding that unit. You said it was a little slow to give a yardage didn’t you? This is what is taking me back to the V4. I like the jolt feature but it’s also so quick.

I read the thread regarding that unit. You said it was a little slow to give a yardage didn’t you? This is what is taking me back to the V4. I like the jolt feature but it’s also so quick.

Its slower than my Bushnell, but talking milliseconds here. The first gen units were quite slow. The latest one not as much. It picks up everything I have thrown at it so far.

Its slower than my Bushnell, but talking milliseconds here. The first gen units were quite slow. The latest one not as much. It picks up everything I have thrown at it so far.

Ok. I can handle milliseconds LOL. I shall maybe give that a go and save myself $80.

I have a Nikon and have a little trouble due to the unit being so light, it shakes alot. Now I steady it against my hat brim and it helps. I generally am not using it more than 175 yards or so, as I have a TomTom watch as well and I'm not pin hunting past that distance anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is why I will never buy anything but Bushnell. My tour X has been a rock and if something ever happened to it I wouldn't even consider any other brand.

I’m putting the Nikon up for sale and picking up the NX7. Almost perfect reviews by all. Just as good as Bushnell but cheaper

Nikon Coolshot 20 laser finder review

The Nikon went back, and I would happily have tried the NX7, but they didn’tt have any, so I went for the Bushnell V4. Like my Tour X but without slope or the ability to turn the display red, 2 things I never used anyway.
The difference between the 2 units is amazing. The distance read out on the Bushnell is instant. It accurately reads the flag, with the jolt to confirm, the display is so much easier to read, and despite the 5x magnification to the Nikons 6x, the viewfinder is way clearer. Not cheap, but at $270 didn’t break the bank. A fantastic bit of kit as far as I’m concerned.

Back