Grips getting stuck

flaMtneer

Reaction score
Handicap
2 of the last 3 grips I've replaced (Lamkin Crossline) have not gone on easily. The first one went on about 1/2 way then wouldn't budge - either direction. I ended up having to cut it off. The next one went on perfect. I wrote it off until yesterday when the same thing nearly happened again. I was able to fight that one on. In both cases I used plenty of solvent.

I've replaced hundreds of grips and occasionally one will be tough to get on and it's usually cause I was lazy and didn't use enough solvent. But that's not the case on these last 2.

It's the same solvent I've been using forever, but the roll of tape is new. Could the tape be bad? Or could I have got a couple bad grips?

I've got grips coming this week to do my irons and don't really want to fight with every one.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Yeah, I've had the same experience as you. I usually attribute my sticking with building up some extra layers of tape making the fit tight. However, once I notice any "stickage," I pull them off, and haven't had to cut any grips off. Usually a lot of extra solvent solves the problem. I'm curious to see other replies about this issue.

I've had it happen a several times regardless of manufacturer. I always attributed it to last of solvent. As has been said, whenever I feel the least bit of resistance, I remove and start again.

JM

I've had it happen a several times regardless of manufacturer. I always attributed it to last of solvent. As has been said, whenever I feel the least bit of resistance, I remove and start again.

JM
Yep same. Most go on easy but every once in awhile I'll get some that just don't want to move.

Lots of solvent and cover the hole in the end with the palm of your hand as you are pushing/feeding it on. It will create a suction and help move it along.

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing just a couple weird grips...I'll see how the regrips go next week.

Back