Wilson Staff DUO Urethane Golf Balls Review Thread

Rock Bottom Golf still has a 30% off sale going with the Duo urethanes pricing out to under $27/doz. "30off"

Got my 1st round in with DuoU yesterday. The wind was blowing consistently in the 10-15mph range & temp was in the mid 40s. I ended up shooting 40/41-81.

Driver: Pretty solid, but I think it was a little shorter & had more side spin than the OG Duo. The weather did not help the cause.

Irons: I saw better performance with the irons. Bored through the wind & checked up nicely on the greens.

Wedges: I hit 1 full 54* wedge at a front pin & almost backed it off the green. Chipping was great. I primarily used my 54* & tried to land it around 10' from the flag. Led to a lot of one putts on the greens I missed.

Putts: Great solid feeling without being clicky. Only complaint was that I left a lot of putts short. I think this is because the OG Duo comes off the face a little hotter.

It was a good, not great first showing & I'm eager to play it in better weather on a day I'm swinging better as well.

$26.59/dozen now if you use the Rock Bottom Golf 30% off code (30off)

I'm going to order a box or two, can't wait to try these out. Huge fan of the original Duo.

Grabbed 4 doz, can't help it, really love this ball, and that price.....WOW.

Yuusssss!! A ball we both agree on!!!

Does anyone still sell things by the gross? May have come in handy here : banana:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone still sell things by the gross? May have come in handy here : banana:

If they did, I'd have made them rich already.

Got a sleeve of the duo urethane and played them today. First impression was tee shot off the 1st hole with driver. You know how you can tell by the feel at impact just about where, and how far, the ball is going? Well when I hit the duo urethane with the driver I had two immediate impressions; 1. I just hit a 100 compression balata covered rubber band wound Titleist ball from 20 years ago and 2. I had no clue where the ball was heading due to the soft feel. I haven't hit a ball so soft since the rubber band wound balata covered 90 or 100 compression Titleist ball of yesteryear. Great two bounce and stop results on the green with 7 thru GW. Distance is slightly less than the Titleist Trusoft. I want to play a few more rounds with the duo urethane ball before I decide to game it. Sure is a nice feel.

Last edited:
Today was my 3rd round with the U & it performed great. Great off the tee in windy conditions & excellent around the greens. I just wish I would have bought 6 dozen instead of 2 dozen when Global Golf had them on for $19.99.

Had a chance to play this ball on a few holes the other day, and have practiced with it around a chipping/pitching green and have hit a bunch of shots with it on a launch monitor. Seems really nice around the greens with kind of a unique feel to it, a little higher off the wedges than the new Taylormade Project A. Seems like there is a little less spin than the Project A but still pretty manageable. It seems fine off the putter. I am currently using a Thomas type Side Saddle putter with a pretty firm insert. Have hit a few drives with it in probably 50 degree temperatures and pretty damp greens. Seems pretty good to me off the driver and other clubs through the bag. The launch monitor shows the Duo U spins less off a 7 iron than the new Project A, about 10 percent or about 400-500 rpm, not huge but probably reflects the less compression vs. the Project A. That will mean a little more rollout on approach shots probably, not a huge difference but a difference. I am a little concerned about durability as this cover seems susceptible to discoloring and wearing a little bit more than other ones, which reminds me a little bit of the FG Tour. It probably doesn't affect performance very much, but is a bit bothersome compared to a ball like the Callaway Chrome Soft or the new Project A. I am going to continue to play this ball and check it out more and will be comparing it to the new Chrome Soft staring later this week. For me right now, I am liking the Duo U pretty well, but also like the new Project A, which isn't getting a lot of attention/buzz right now but a ball that deserves to be tried out imho and expect the new Chrome Soft to compete well with these two. The hope is the new Chrome Soft will outdo the other two based on all the hype, but that remains to be seen. The Duo U seems to be a fine ball that might compete pretty well with the other golf balls in it's price range, but might not be as suitable for the guys with the big club head speeds. I expect the new Chrome Soft is going to work somewhat better for those guys.

Picked up a dozen of these at Golf Town (which is AWESOME that they carry them!) and put them in play yesterday for the first time. I REALLY liked this ball and it performed wonderfully off all clubs except the putter. The course was really wet and soft so I can't give a reliable report on approach shot spin, but it was quick to drop the anchor on chips and pitches.
Where this ball really stood out was off the tee for me. It wasn't super cold but it certainly wasn't warm either and this ball felt quite soft, softer than I'm used to gaming (Chrome +, Z-Star XV) but it performed. Flew straighter and the spin seemed under control...what more can you ask for?

I found the ball to feel a little too soft off the putter, but maybe that's all mental or just takes some getting used to.

It is a soft feeling ball, even in the hands. What putter are you rolling?

The combo of that ball and the insert would probably feel almost squishy, IME.

They're def soft off the flatstick, very similar to the duo and chrome soft there for me.

Fun freaking golf balls. I've still not hit the new 330 but for the prices I got the 7 doz I have here these might end up the gamers this year.

They're def soft off the flatstick, very similar to the duo and chrome soft there for me.

Fun freaking golf balls. I've still not hit the new 330 but for the prices I got the 7 doz I have here these might end up the gamers this year.
I think I'll certainly get used to the feel off the putter with more time.
I think 'fun' is a great way to describe this ball. Every shot just feels mashed, and I backed up a few mid irons yesterday. That's not common in my game.

I think I'll certainly get used to the feel off the putter with more time.
I think 'fun' is a great way to describe this ball. Every shot just feels mashed, and I backed up a few mid irons yesterday. That's not common in my game.
I'm 100 percent on the same page dude. The feel of just compressing the hell out of the ball combined with the amount of bite I'm seeing greenside leaves a lot of smiles.

I'm 100 percent on the same page dude. The feel of just compressing the hell out of the ball combined with the amount of bite I'm seeing greenside leaves a lot of smiles.

Yeah that feeling is awesome! I get it more with the irons than the driver. Maybe because I hit more irons than Driver in a round. So I notice it more there. And the King Forged Tec help in that feel department!

Thanks to Sanzabar, I have two dozen coming soon to try. I also have the new Chrome Soft's for comparisons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think this one will surprise you man. I know there is a whoooooooooole lot of awesome in new golf balls right now but these really are a lot of fun.

I asked for these as a v-day present. Woooo

This ball is fun. Still not too fond of the feel off the putter, but the feel with a flushed iron and the Duo Urethane is addicting. Haven't shot above 80 yet with this ball...although I only played two rounds with it...on my home track. It's all the ball I think.

I think this one will surprise you man. I know there is a whoooooooooole lot of awesome in new golf balls right now but these really are a lot of fun.
Looking forward to them. I used the new Chrome Soft's today and crushed them. It will be fun to compare these two balls. And you are right, great ball technology right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back