Advice on cutting down AeroBurner Shaft... It's way too long, but worried about SW

TheFlyingWASP

Reaction score
Handicap
  • Got an AeroBurner Black from a buddy of mine for a steal. Traded him a Daddy Long Legs putter that I never use. Anyway, it's a Stock Stiff Shaft, but it measures 45.75" long. I typically play my driver at 44.5", but could probably get away w/ a touch more, like 44.75". However, this is a SUPER LIGHT driver. I don't know a thing about swing weight, don't know what mine is or what it should be or what I prefer. I typically always just buy a driver off the shelf & hack 1/2" off & I'm always fine. However, I'm a little worried about cutting 1" to 1.25" off if this beast. I'm sure that removing that much shaft will lower the swing weight quite a bit, but what will that mean for someone who couldn't tell you what swing weight I prefered if you put a gun to my head? Any advice?

First off, why not hit the range and toy around with it a bit?

Try choking down on it and try it at the regular length. Get a feel for it and then rethink cutting it down.

What Beags said...choke down an inch. Try it out at the range.

Stock swing weight for an Aeroburner is D3. Chopping off 1/2" by my recollection would make it D0 (-3 points each 1/2 inch). You could put a heavier grip on there to counter that effect, I believe 15g in grip weight would do that.

In my experience that's nothing a little bit of lead tape can't fix. I would go with the previous gentlemen's suggestions and give it a go first. if the length is too much then you can make alterations. I used to chop an inch off my 45.5" drivers but 45" seems to be my sweet spot. In your case I'd remove 3/4" initially and add lead tape accordingly. If that's still too long then I'd make it 44.5". I typically like a D5-D7 swing weight but that's just personal preference.

I'd cut (butt end of course) and see if you can still feel the head. You can always do weight down the shaft to get the SW back to standard.

I'm pretty sure you will need to add lead tape to it. 1 1/4 is going to be close to 7 1/2 SW difference.

I used to be worried about cutting drivers down and swing weight but I could never really tell a difference. I've cut half to a full inch on the last 3 drivers I've played and never have seen anything negative come out of it. Choke down until you like how it feels and the cut it to that length.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Took my Z545 & his AeroBurner out today to the range & messed w/ weights & face angle on my Z. 3g weight in back to reduce spin & closing the face down just a touch did the trick. That little tweak added about length & gave me the ball flight I was looking for. Driver search is off. Guess that's why they make these things adjustable. I guess I'll be holding off on trading my buddy for his AeroBurner. Told him to keep the putter as long as he wanted it anyway. If I know him it'll stay in his bag for a month tops, as he's a bigger ho than me.

I used to be worried about cutting drivers down and swing weight but I could never really tell a difference. I've cut half to a full inch on the last 3 drivers I've played and never have seen anything negative come out of it. Choke down until you like how it feels and the cut it to that length.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

This is/was me as well. I could never really feel the difference. Now I'm playing a super short driver, so a custom order was must to have a good SW, but an inch or so is no big deal to most.

Back