How Long for You to Get Comfortable with Your New Driver?

I'd say at most one range session. Mostly to adjust to length, feel, where the hot spot on the face is, etc. If it takes longer than that.... it's not for me.

If I'm not hitting a new driver well in 10 to 20 swings, I would really start getting nervous about it. A bucket of range balls to feel the weight, sound, and feel is all I should need. After a round or two and I'm usually quite comfortable with a new driver.

I can typically cycle drivers with minimal issues, but sometimes a lighter club can throw me for a loop.

About 1 or 2 league sessions and Im usually all set

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Usually after 15-20 swings I'll know if it's the one for me. If I'm not comfortable with it relatively quickly I know it won't work for me.

I hit my Alpha pretty well after about 1/2 round. Lately I've been getting a fade with it though.

Usually not long. My bio cell+ was one or two swings, G30 before that was 5 or so swings. My XR was a weird one and took all day to start hitting it well and about a month to truly get comfortable with it.

I've got to be well acquainted with a driver before I move to add it to the bag. So that cuts into the time. I am confident right from the start usually, but fully knowing the club and how it reacts, probably takes 3 range sessions or rounds. Otherwise, why did I make the switch in the first place.

As long as the shaft length and grip thickness is the same, a couple of swings.

I'd say it takes me maybe one range session to get familiar with a new driver. However, I'm a over-tweaker and make changes to my driver swing way too often to ever really get confident in it for more than a round or two. It's a problem, I know, but admitting it is the first step right?

It takes me a couple of swings.

one or two range sessions beating 30-50 balls, and one two rounds spraying it everywhere before i know whether it will work.

No time at all. If it's taking time to dial in a pure distance club, then it's not the right driver for me. To me great options that offer something different right out of the gate.

I agree - when I changed last summer to the Callaway GBB driver, first day out on the course and I saw improvement. The last driver that I tried the year before was a Ping - hit is really well during the fitting but then was on and off with it on the course for the first couple weeks. Almost returned it a few times during the first month but when I hit is well it felt really good so I didn't and just figured that I needed to "get used to it" and it would take some time. Never happened and I wasted a lot of time and effort. Went back to my old Callaway after a couple months and immediately was driving better and back to normal. Tried out a few other drivers but with the attitude that if it didn't "obviously" work for me, it wasn't worth the change. When I tried the new GBB at the store, it immediately felt comfortable and the results were clearly much better than with the other new drivers that I tried - got the right shaft for my swing and got the weight in the right place and the first round with it was terrific.

So after 4 years wandering in the bargain bins I buy a brand new up-to-date driver, an M1, set to 7.5 degrees, full length Kuro Kage 60 shaft. So I'm going through an acquaintance party with it, getting the feel of the thing and finding the right tempo.

Which got me to wonder, how long does it take for you to be totally comfortable with your driver? How many games or sessions on the range?

My current driver took about four swings on the range to generate nearly complete trust.

Sometimes, they just flat out work.

I try it out usually in a sim and find what I like best then it's a few swings at the range to gain the confidence. Something about seeing straight bombs on the range builds the comfort of it takes longer it's not a driver for me.

About 10 swings to be acclimated and trust it.

I'm confident that if you've done your homework both here on THP, yourself and hitting some demo's, then you shouldn't have much of, if ANY time to get use to a new driver. Outside of maybe adjusting loft, but even then, if you've hit on some monitors, you should have a good understanding of where your maxes should be.

It truly does not take me too long with a new driver. 5 swings and I know if it's something I can work with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, club fitting in my country is like fortune-telling with a pocket calculator. The one launch monitor in the driving range was out for a demo day elsewhere when I got the M1, and it was like 5 years old and I don't know if it's being regularly calibrated. There are no additional shaft choices except for the Fujikura and the kuro Kage.

That said, I know by my experience with other drivers that I'm hitting the 9.5 and 9 degree lofts with too much balloon and too much spin.

I used the M1for the first time in a course that I played the very first time also, and I was 7 over on the front 9. Unfortunately, I was 15 over the back nine for a total of 94. Not bad for a first time driver in a first time course. Still some more proving to come...

It usually takes 10 to 15 swings before I figure out my tendencies and yardage with the driver.

I would say a few swings to tell if I like it. May take more to adjust settings to what I want but I already know I like how it feels by then

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It took me a few swings to get comfortable with the GBB. I'm still working on consistency, but I'm very happy with the driver over all.

For me personally if I can find a groove within a dozen or so swings, it's just not the driver for me.

Just a few balls, if not comfortable after that it will never be the one.I don't want to change my swing for a club.

Pretty quickly, if I am not comfortable in a range session or a round it isn't staying in the bag.

Back