What is the major swing flaw in most high handicappers?

MBurnham

Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about the golf swing today and started to think about swing flaws. I, myself, struggle with an over the top move and think most amateurs do as well.

What other swing flaws do most high handicappers have? What are some good drills to help fix general swing flaws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the top and flipping are the two biggest based on everything we have read and seen.

If I had to pick one, OTT for sure.

Over the top and flipping are the two biggest based on everything we have read and seen.

Flipping was one of the other ones I was thinking about.

According to my teacher,letting the face of the club turn over.This has been my main intentions in my game Rehaul with him.High handicappers square the club with the hands.Need to square the club with a pivot and never letting the face turn over

Over the top would be my guess.

What causes flipping? Is that usually due to grip?

I suffer from both flipping and the OTT in some form or fashion. Its always something I fall into when I don't practice enough.

JM

I would think flipping first.

I wonder why ott is so common? what is it about the golf swing that so many people's natural athletic intuition is to swing outside in?

For me it is/was over the top ... can't tell you how many roof tops I have nailed over the years ...

I would think that OTT and not enough body rotation would be the biggest flaws....both will cause slices and pulls depending on club face

OTT and flipping are the two most common I see.

Others might be no lower body and improper footwork

Tempo...getting quick can lead to many problems including OTT. That and overswinging.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ott and flipping are both related.Once the face turns over we are screwed.Have to keep it wide open

I heard/read that Chicken Wing affects close to 50% of new golfers/high handicappers.

Without a doubt, those are the TWO biggest ones that I saw in my time as an instructor.

Snatching the club back inside.

I would think flipping first.

I wonder why ott is so common? what is it about the golf swing that so many people's natural athletic intuition is to swing outside in?

In my opinion, OTT happens because beginners (and non-beginners) make the ball their target. When the ball is your target, the most efficient way to get to it is over-the-top. Once you get the OTT move ingrained, it's really hard to get rid of.

I agree. Numbers 1 & 2.

OTT, too quick of a tempo and failing to rotate your lower body

In my opinion, OTT happens because beginners (and non-beginners) make the ball their target. When the ball is your target, the most efficient way to get to it is over-the-top. Once you get the OTT move ingrained, it's really hard to get rid of.

This /\ /\ /\ /\

Hanging back, over swinging or getting out in front of the ball. The over the top and flip is a by product of the bigger swing issue.

I'm not sure, but I've gone through all the ones listed so I must be an expert on how not to swing.

OTT all the way. We see so many draw biased drivers out there marketed to the masses to help counteract that (note that I didn't say fix it), but you rarely see fade biased really pushed. Granted, many TP lines are a degree or two open, but those usually aren't the big marketed lines.

Hanging back, over swinging or getting out in front of the ball. The over the top and flip is a by product of the bigger swing issue.

I would say hanging back, and flipping.

Jack

Over the top.

Back