What would YOU do?

Lol at conserving the lead. Mats finished birdie birdie and still would have tied it up forcing Rickie to birdie 18 to win.
It's an interesting thought exercise, but maybe Matsuyama doesn't birdie #17 if he doesn't smell blood in the water (pun intended). If Rickie puts his second shot close (if he had laid up) maybe Matsuyama overplays his second shot and winds up with par, or maybe chokes on his 18' putt. A whole lot of scenarios could have played out ... most of which are predicated on Rickie's tee shot on #17.

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously ...

It's an interesting thought exercise, but maybe Matsuyama doesn't birdie #17 if he doesn't smell blood in the water (pun intended). If Rickie puts his second shot close (if he had laid up) maybe Matsuyama overplays his second shot and winds up with par, or maybe chokes on his 18' putt. A whole lot of scenarios could have played out ... most of which are predicated on Rickie's tee shot on #17.

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously ...

True, hindsight is 20/20 and it's a lot easier to judge afterwards...

But if you're someone who always plays with a little reckless abandon (like Fowler), and you're in that situation...why is it supposed to change? It worked for him up until that point. It's like trying to become super conservative against a team in say football or basketball when you have a lead. When is the lead safe enough to do that?

If I'm in Rickie's shoes, I'm feeling like I need to keep the peddle down with how well Mats is playing at that point. He didn't make a bad choice with driver IMO, he got a bad break with the ball landing on a down slope and rocketing forward. Rickie always plays a bit boldly (see 17th green at the Players and going straight for the front tucked flag 3 straight times), and I don't think you abandon your style when someone can still catch you. If he's up 4 or 5 strokes with 2 to play I think it's a different scenario.

I wouldn't hit driver in that situation, but, I'm not a swashbuckling rock star like Rickie. I think you have to play to your nature...like Phil always has, then let the chips fall.

I think that if I had a wedge game like Rickie's I would have laid up to my favorite wedge yardage. Even if that meant hitting and iron off the tee. Chances are if he did that he would be looking at par at worst.

I don't fault him, if the shot had worked out and he was somewhere in the middle of the green he would have had an excellent chance at birdie to put the tournament away.

Lol at conserving the lead. Mats finished birdie birdie and still would have tied it up forcing Rickie to birdie 18 to win.

So what happens if he lays up, pars it, and then pars 18 as well and goes into the same playoff? We'd be talking about why he was so conservative off 17 when he could have gone for it and got an easy birdie.

Funny how easy it is to look back and make a different choice.
It isn't Monday morning QB'ing at all. It is common sense to take the big number out of play. If he puts the ball in a good, safe position he still has a really great chance at birdie. Driver is the wrong play.

It isn't Monday morning QB'ing at all. It is common sense to take the big number out of play. If he puts the ball in a good, safe position he still has a really great chance at birdie. Driver is the wrong play.

So what happens if Mats hits the green with his drive and eagles? Rickie had to tee off first.

If Mats goes eagle-birdie and takes the win...do you still say Rickie sans driver is the play?

3 wood with the pin location, it isn't even laying up, you get a rock hard bounce you are putting for eagle and a soft bounce a fairly good shot at an up and down for birdie.

3 wood with the pin location, it isn't even laying up, you get a rock hard bounce you are putting for eagle and a soft bounce a fairly good shot at an up and down for birdie.

But he put that in the water too...

Tourney was his to lose
No need for the HR
long iron, whatever ya want, toss ur 2nd on the green, maybe make a birdie, worse case par and put all the pressure on your opponent

Im hitting 5I then whatever needed to get me home

But he put that in the water too...
He hit a bad shot though. The driver wasn't a bad swing. I only try to take a good swing turning out bad out of the equation. especially when you play at that level. Not sure if he was trying to draw the wood, which would be less than good or trying to hit a high fade and just turned the face a bit. Everyone who hit a fade with a FW had a good to great chance at birdie.

I admire Rickie's courage but up two you have to play it safe. Especially with his wedge play.

Have to take the big number out of the equation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What would YOU do?

Probably something similar to what this guy did:

jean-van-de-velde-1999-british-open.jpg

Even if he lays up and plays a wedge in the greens were pretty firm and the pin was close to that water that if his wedge takes the wrong bounce he could end up in water.

he got a bad break in how the ball landed and kicked forward. The driver wasn't a poorly executed shot but one that he hit exactly how he wanted. He went with his most comfortable choice in the situation. Matsuyama played well down the stretch and in the playoffs. A missed putt from him early and the playoff is over in Rickies favor.

Well, it's obvious that hole is in Rickie's head and he can't figure out just how to play it. He doubled it yesterday twice--once with the driver, and once with a FW metal. It's easy to Monday morning this, having watched that hole being played all weekend. But, for me, too many easy birdies were had just by hitting a 3 or 5 metal down in front and chipping it up to the hole. That's what I would do, and, I truly believe that had Rickie done that the first time through, instead of slamming the big dog, there would have been no playoff.

Yep, I agree with this.

I say lay up and protect the lead and take my chances with my approach. Let the other guy play catch up. Probably a lot going thru his mind standing on that tee box and he made the decision he though was correct.

I admit, there are many kinds of birdies, especially on a short par 4, so maybe even if I lay up I can still get birdie.

But heck, nothing puts an exclamation point more than driving it to the green.

Probably something similar to what this guy did:

jean-van-de-velde-1999-british-open.jpg

I think this guy did something worse. This guy had to hit 3 lousy shots consecutively to get to where he ended up. Not easy to do at his level of golf, come to think of it.

Besides, I wouldn't go out of my shoes and go into the burn, I'm just adding media flak to myself. Anything in the water where no part of the ball is above water is definitely a no-go. I would just take the drop and make sure to find the fairway on the next shot. Unfortunately, this guy, after finding water, found the rough, and then the bleachers.

Last edited:
I would re-tee it to prove that I can stick the green and then putt for Par!

I think this guy did something worse. This guy had to hit 3 lousy shots consecutively to get to where ha ended up. Not easy to do at his level of golf, come to think of it.

Besides, I wouldn't go out of my shoes and go into the burn, I'm just adding media flak to myself. Anything in the water where no part of the ball is above water is definitely a no-go. I would just take the drop and make sure to find the fairway on the next shot. Unfortunately, this guy, after finding water, found the rough, and then the bleachers.
Did you see the piece they did with him a year later. Came back and was only given a putter. Easily made bogey. I remember watching this live and it was like a train wreck in slow motion you just couldn't help but watch. His caddie really should have snapped his driver over his knee.

I would def lay up to a short wedge like all the other guys were doing. Hedeki however was lucky to see Ricky be the guinea pig and pretty much make his decision for him to hit Fw

I would re-tee it to prove that I can stick the green and then putt for Par!

Now this is truly badass. I must try this some time. To hell with the consequences.

Couples hit the water on the 17th at a Players. Re-teed, then aced his second shot for a par. Dang.

Trouble left and long?
Driver all day, my miss is high and right so those wouldn't bother me in the least.

Put the fear in the competitor's heart from the tee box.

Well who am I to question the #4 player in the world. To me it was the right play for him. He probably figured he need a birdie to put it out of reach. 17 is a much easier birdie than 18. I believe his caddie said he needed to hit his fairway wood perfect to carry that trap. So he figured driver was the smart play for him at that time. You play to win the tournament, not to hope your opponent doesn't execute. So yeah I think he made the right play for him.

Let's say I had Fowler-like distance and wedge skills. I'd take a 4i or 5-wood, and lay it up.

I agree 1000%!

I would def lay up to a short wedge like all the other guys were doing. Hedeki however was lucky to see Ricky be the guinea pig and pretty much make his decision for him to hit Fw
I think he hits 3 wood no matter what at the front pin.

Back