2019 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
A few weeks ago, THP writer Canadan had a chance to go to TaylorMade and learn all about their new 2019 golf balls, and you can read all about the golf balls and his experience learning about them here.

1-1.png

2.png

3-1.png

Nice write up, glad they put a lot of focus on the durability of the ball. Many of us like the soft feel but if they get scratched up bad after just a few holes then it gets expensive to swap them.

Tp5 was a good performer for me last year, will be looking at them again.

How do we differentiate between the 2018 and 2019 in stores? Or just hope that the sign for them is accurate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Glad to see they appear to have improved the duarability over the previous version. "Spring" at impact sounds fun

So with ‘High Flex Material’ or HFM is TM going the opposite way of Callaway with Graphine (Which IIFC was to stiffen so they could make the core larger) or are the one on in the same with different names?

Nice write up, I will be trying it for sure as I really enjoyed the previous iteration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a couple TP5 / TP5x after finding the odd one during the year and quite liked how they performed, but when looking, the price was more than I was paying for the Chromesofts that I usually play so I didn't change

If the price was closer to the price of the Chromesofts then I could play these quite happily, but I suspect that won't happen

I may try some to see if the difference in performance warrants spending the extra on them but until then I will see what others have to say

Great write up, which helps us understand another of the many awesome products from which to choose. There are so many tour balls that are incredible performers, it makes the decision difficult.

Great write up, Dan. That sounds like a hell of an improvement on an already great design. I've gamed the TP5X since it came out and am loving what I'm reading. I thought it would be hard to improve on what I feel is already the best ball I've ever played- can't wait to check it out for myself.

The Rahm numbers out there are insane. If that jump is legit for us mortals, then looks like I’m staying TM for the ball this year.

Like others, i really enjoyed the workability and distance in the TP balls but did not continue playing them due to the durability. I will have to try out the new edition....

2019 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

Very nice write up. I have heard so many good things about the TP5 that I will have to try this ball in 2019. Will love to test it against the Chrome Soft to see which is better for my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rahm numbers out there are insane. If that jump is legit for us mortals, then looks like I’m staying TM for the ball this year.

Could be the reason Ricky went to TM on the ball if he saw that much jump in speed.

Could be the reason Ricky went to TM on the ball if he saw that much jump in speed.

I want to see some amateur data comparisons, would be a fun test. Rahm seeing a 3mph avg jump definitely perks my ears though.

Curious as to when they’ll be available through the purchase program...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really like that they are pushing the fitting aspect; ball fitting is a huge eye opener. Seems like the X model would work best for me, given the higher iron flight.

I hope this is the ball that can convert me from the ProV1X. Very excited to try these out.

This is one ball that I have never really had any interest in giving a try. Not sure why. Nothing to do with the brand itself.....just think I prefer the performance of Titleist / Callaway / Srixon and dont want to muddy the waters even more so.

Was probably my favorite ball to play last year. Looks like I'll be trying these out soon!

So with ‘High Flex Material’ or HFM is TM going the opposite way of Callaway with Graphine (Which IIFC was to stiffen so they could make the core larger) or are the one on in the same with different names?

Both the TP5 and TP5x are firmer in compression. HFM has opened the door for TaylorMade to have significant deflection using all cores to activate at the right time.

Basically, 1+1 from old tech and 1+1 from new tech inevitably lead to a different number, opening the door for altered firmness.

I really like that they are pushing the fitting aspect; ball fitting is a huge eye opener. Seems like the X model would work best for me, given the higher iron flight.

I hope this isn't lost on everyone - They were very excited about the fitting plans for 2019.

There's a video out there of Dean Snell talking about working with a Tour Player (I believe during the Penta days) and getting the layering of the ball just right for every club.

My understanding is that the "stiffer" outer layers allow the inner layers to be made softer, increasing driver compression (more core activation) but also maintaining iron spin (less core activation, more layer activation). One thing I noticed when the TP5 was originally released was those who were seeing major iron distance gains were also seeing major spin dropoffs (they go hand in hand), which hopefully the new design mitigates.

I really enjoyed this ball last year and a lot of the guys i play with use this ball as well. It will be interesting to see if their is a noticeable difference with this version. Just increased durability is a significant improvement.

Ball fittings sound great too!

John Rahm is said to have picked up 3.5 mph more ball speed with this version over the last, good for 10 more yards...impressive and exciting

Nice write up, glad they put a lot of focus on the durability of the ball. Many of us like the soft feel but if they get scratched up bad after just a few holes then it gets expensive to swap them.

Tp5 was a good performer for me last year, will be looking at them again.

How do we differentiate between the 2018 and 2019 in stores? Or just hope that the sign for them is accurate?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would take the ball out & look at it to be sure. I believe the side stamp is different in this version.

Back