Woodland signs with Wilson

jhtr20

Reaction score
Handicap
Just read Gary Woodland singed with Wilson. Great signing for Wilson especially if he plays well. Clarke mentioned Woodland has a Cortex driver with him in HI but didn't say it was going in the bag.

I wonder with Wilsons recent acquisition if there is more dollars available for signings? If the new ownership wants to grow the brand signings of top players will certainly raise brand awareness.

I think this is a smart signing. He usually gets more air time than most Wilson players.And that is whats this is all about. I hope at some point he plays their driver. If he was cranking that out there it would really help the Staff.

Seems like a good move for Wilson. Although he is not considered much of an influencer compared to many other pro golfers, Woodland can certainly bomb the ball which will not hurt the brand image.

Likeable down to earth guy. Should be good for Wilson, and he hits it a long way.

Good for Woodland... and I guess Wilson Staff as well. Not really sure he moves any sort of needle though. Very solid player on course but forgettable off.

A bigger name for Wilson is always a good thing. Good pickup for them, especially if they want to push the Cortex - he BOMBS it.

I have a soft spot for Wilson and always keep an eye on their players. Gonna have to check this Woodland fella out. LOL. Kidding of course. Gary brings some decent name recognition to the brand that was lacking a bit in that category IMO. I know Steele and Merrit have both won in the past year or two but i think woodland moves the needle a little more then either of those two.

Hope he puts the cortex in the bag. Good signing for both.

I think this only works if he plays the Cortex, but I'm excited to see it happen anyway!

I think this is a huge signing, plus I bet he crushes that new cortex driver!

This is real cool for WS and I hope this is a sign from the company that theyre making money and ready to spend a little more on tour players in the US

This is real cool for WS and I hope this is a sign from the company that theyre making money and ready to spend a little more on tour players in the US

They are making money, I think woodland fits their model pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for Woodland... and I guess Wilson Staff as well. Not really sure he moves any sort of needle though. Very solid player on course but forgettable off.

well said but then again I dont know if they have had a needle mover on staff unless Paddy Harrington sells clubs

Good for Wilson, and also for Woodland! Looking forward to see more exposure of Wilson Staff product on tour.

well said but then again I dont know if they have had a needle mover on staff unless Paddy Harrington sells clubs

is there another wilson staffer who has even sniffed a lead in the last 3 or 4 years, let alone been in the final group on sunday? i can't think of one unless streelman or merritt got hot in a silly season event and i missed it. but woodland seems to be a guy who has/can/will get close to winning, just needs to play a complete tournament.

Something we learned at the Shaft Up event is that Wilson has a big market in Europe, much bigger than here in the US anyway. With that said, Harrington's presence is, apparently, selling clubs.

is there another wilson staffer who has even sniffed a lead in the last 3 or 4 years, let alone been in the final group on sunday? i can't think of one unless streelman or merritt got hot in a silly season event and i missed it. but woodland seems to be a guy who has/can/will get close to winning, just needs to play a complete tournament.

yeah been a few years for Streelman, and I think Merrit one last year but it was one of those events going on during the Open Championship. Woodland seems to have played well the last few years so maybe he increases the exposure

Wilson Staffers:
Brendan Steele (3rd tour win) won the Safeway Open in 2018
Troy Merritt (2nd tour win) won the Barbasol Championship in 2018
Kevin Streelman has 3 tour wins, the last one in 2014
Gary Woodland (3rd tour win) won the Waste Management Phoenix Open in 2018

Edited for clarity

Dont think WS will be the type of company to jump at the needle moving signing. This type of signing makes more sense for PGA tour visibility and just getting the logo out there more often and someone who wont create negative attention to himself. Hes a top 30 player and almost signed with them a few years ago so this isnt out of nowhere. It'll be interesting to see what wins out for the driver, the Cortex or the Ping

Brendan Steele won in 2016& 2017 Paddy won in Tampa within the last two years. I agree with you that he will get more bag time on tv.

i mean this honestly: thanks to all who schooled me on the shield's more recent wins than i realized! maybe i find woodland to be more "visible" because i like his game a lot, so i pay more attention to him. either way, seems like a really solid pick up.

Love it! Looking forward to seeing how this works out for all involved.

I think this could be beneficial for both side, Woodland and W/S seem to have similar personalities, if that makes sense. Kind of no non sense, just solid all around entities.

Back