Cobra KING F6 Irons Review & Interview

Great write up and info, Daddio. Enjoy those clubs!

Yes! More validation on the performance of these Daddio! They're seriously underrated irons right now, criminally so imo.

Great info Daddio, glad to see you've got gains and you're playing pain free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had these on the range a few times now, and just seem to be struggling a little, particularly with the 4 iron.
I also don't see quite the distance of the xr pro's, but I am a hacker.
Went back to the xrp 4 iron and have no issues, so maybe just need a little more time.

Went to Golfsmith today and found these. They didn't have any lefty's to demo, but these are absolutely gorgeous. They are on my short list.

I think I'm going to put the DG Pro X100 in these instead of the the F5 to mess with after I finished the G iron reviee, starting to miss these, a lot.

These have just arrived.
f20a42bdf6a2d4595036dad79a9cfd89.jpg
4b585316f206788f8b91fa715b6e67ad.jpg

c7c876b577a465d5cded3a4212e90e5d.jpg
a7136e72ea0fc5ecf251958c93b2408e.jpg

garethw, is that custom paintfill or the colors that the clubs are being sold in for Asia?

garethw, is that custom paintfill or the colors that the clubs are being sold in for Asia?

Neither they are the ladies spec from Cobra. Aqua marine and Silver or a shocking pink colour. My wife visually baulked at the pink!!!

She's just about to head to the range with them and see how they compare to her AMP Cells.

We headed to the range earlier this afternoon so my wife Lek could hit these (it's great having one as enthusiastic as myself about golf). She started of warming up with the PW, and was peppering the 90 yard marker with a lot higher ball flight than her AMP Cells at this point there was a lot of positive noise coming from her hitting bay. She moved up through the set and was seriously struggling with pushing the ball straight out right. I'm not sure what she did but slowly she started to get straighter. Comparing the specs of the F6 and the AMP Cells, the F6 have slightly longer shafts, are a degree more upright and have a little less offset, whether the combination of all that was the cause of the straight rights I do not know. She'll figure it out though of that I am sure.

She's decided she needs a couple more range sessions and then take them out for a round. Initial thoughts / impressions from her were:

They feel good off the face (when hitting straight).
Ball flight with PW was really high, straight and where she was aiming. The rest of the set when she struck them better were also higher and felt "softer".
The shafts, grips and weight felt good.
BUT need more practice before confident to take them on the course.

I hit 5 balls with the 7 iron and want my own set of these. The ball got up well, went straight and out carried my PSI 7 iron by a decent distance, thats with a ladies spec graphite shaft. I felt two bad mis hits right out on the toe and distance loss was minimal. My wife was watching and thought the first swing was a lucky one, then saw the second and third swings. Even she commented on the distance and straightness.

I did the same with the PW and had the same results. I'm really looking forward to her first round with these so I can have a hit on the course as well. I've just swapped out my irons a couple of months back and really do not want the expense of another set. BUT I'll keep hitting these on course until I head back to work, if I keep seeing the same results I might just have to dig into my savings account. As yet these are not even available in Thailand so trying different shafts is not a option. I was secretly hoping she'd hate them and I could get the shaft swapped out in the 7 and see what happens, but that does not look like it will happen.

These are seriously good.

I kind of want to order a set of these in the ladies colorway.

Today was my first round out with the F6 irons. I was fitted to them at Club Champion a few weeks back. The specs that were recommended to me were standard lengh, regular Nippon 950 shafts hard stepped. Standard lie.
Up to this point, I was gaming the Standard Callaway XR irons which I really liked but were not fitted to me (just bought it off the shelf when they came out).
In my first round out, my opinion is that the F6 have much better feel. Forgiveness is pretty much dead even. The XR may be about 3 to 5 yards longer. Dispersion is far better with the F6s (but that is probably because I was fitted to them). The F6 irons look better and seem to have less offset (at least to the naked eye).
In their current form, the F6 is the straightest iron I have played in my 6 years playing golf. My overall lesson is that I am never buying anything else off the shelf. There is too much fun to be had with equipment that is fitted to my swing.

The ladies colorway looks pretty freaking badass!

M2 have gone back and these are in the bag 4-AW, Hit about 10 balls into the woods in front of the house and boy what a big difference in launch. I really like that AW is a more traditional wedge. Hit the 4 iron over the trees about 100 yards out with ease and the 8 & 9 had a nice flight not crazy high like the M2.

Going to give them a test drive in the morning.

M2 have gone back and these are in the bag 4-AW, Hit about 10 balls into the woods in front of the house and boy what a big difference in launch. I really like that AW is a more traditional wedge. Hit the 4 iron over the trees about 100 yards out with ease and the 8 & 9 had a nice flight not crazy high like the M2.

Going to give them a test drive in the morning.

Nice! These are seriously special irons. My CF16 are my gamers, but these are still getting a lot of bag time, heads are currently getting ready for DG Pro's and I couldn't be more eager to see how it goes heading back down that ath.

Enjoy them!

Hit some more balls today and they really feel good, tomorrow will tell how they play on the course. A bit bigger head than I would normally try, but maybe a much smarter set moving forward with the progressive setup. The stock FST shafts in stiff are very responsive and range ball distances were very good across the set. 4&5 irons are rocket launchers.

I finally got a chance to play my first round with these (4-GW graphite) and I continue to be very impressed. I got higher flight than I'm accustomed to on almost every iron shot (first set with graphite). Also my carry distance was at least equal to the irons they replaced (RocketBladez steel). I'm guessing the F6s will actually play longer than the RBladez on days I'm swinging normally. Today just wasn't one of those days as I was consistently shorter off the tee and was hitting all pushes versus my normal miss which is left. I also developed some wierd stiff pain in my right glute and hammy before I was finished. Not a typical ache for me at all, so I was doing something wonky today.
Back to the F6s. I hit a number of decent full iron shots and three really stood out:
1) A beautiful 4 iron layup on a par 5 that felt/sounded like I didn't even hit it. Perfect trajectory, centered in the fairway. I GPSed it just because and it finished 13 yards longer than I expected, and just 6 feet from it's pitch mark. I know I've hit a few 4 irons that well in my 2+ years with the RBladez, but on those rare occasions the shots came along with that annoying loud 'crack' sound from the speed slot.
2) A perfect 8 iron over a trap to a tucked flag that stopped on a dime 7 feet away. I was debating hitting 7 iron but today was all about learning my new irons so I risked the carry with the shorter club. Yes! Of course I didn't convert the birdie.
3) There is a very tall mature pine tree that blocks more than half the green on par 4 #13. It plays much taller because it sits right at the crest of a steep hill where it flattens out for the green, so you are playing up from well down the hill. Also, the tree comes nearly to the front edge so any shot carrying the tree has to come almost straight down to hit the green. Left edge is ideal off the tee because even from the center of the fairway I typically have to bend a shot around that pine or play to the side of the green with the best chip. I was in the light right rough today, completely blocked, uphill lie and 6 yards further than my typical GW. (note: I'm usually about 70/30 carrying that tree with my old AW, and those that do barely squeak over). Again because I had been hitting the ball higher in this initial round with the F6s I opted to jump on my new GW. WOW. Easily carried it by about 20 feet and stuck the green 20 feet left.
Around the greens I was completely comfortable on chips and pitches with these, a very good sign in round #1.

Last edited:
I really cannot give any type of review yet because I just played terrible all around today and never really got in any type of groove, hit one clean 7 iron from 162 (laser shot) and landed 2 ft. right of the pin and it ran out to 6 ft. missed the birdie. One good 9 iron from 145 (again laser shot) and hit it 150 uphill, made that putt. But a lot of fat shots, which were my fault of course. Working on setting my wrist and it threw off everything, going to try and hit the range every afternoon and find the swing or something that resembles one anyway. Do work

Second round in today and a bit better, managed an 81 with 2 doubles and 2 birdies. Still having a mental issue with looking down at these bigger heads and the wide sole screws with my normal chop and divot swing.
The seem to want to bounce off the turf, but when I just let it go decent shots happen. I have not seen much difference in distances from the APEX pro which is surprising to me, but that is a contact issue and my fault. Could be a few more rounds and I will see some difference, distance was not a big priority to start with anyway. I had hoped to gain more forgiveness on the typical misses and so far they seem to amplify them.

As is golf, I have the Driver working really well and leave myself quite a few PW and 8/9 iron shots and have not been sticking them like I would expect with a shorter club. The Flighted Shafts seem very nice, not a huge jump from the Recoils feel wise which again was a surprise.

You really think these are big heads?

Nice! These are seriously special irons. My CF16 are my gamers, but these are still getting a lot of bag time, heads are currently getting ready for DG Pro's and I couldn't be more eager to see how it goes heading back down that ath.

Enjoy them!

I'm looking forward to hearing how these play with the DG Pros.

They are bigger compared to the APEX Pros and the J15DF before the the pros. No they are not huge and as I said it is just a mental / getting used to thing, I hope.

I have always like the smaller the better look, but the facts don't support my gaming them and the sick thing was I had the Cobra forged combo set of blades / CB in my hand and went back and got these instead trying to be sane. Then I see Kang's Yonex and I just sigh....

I'm looking forward to hearing how these play with the DG Pros.
Pretty damn filthy dude. First round out was today actually.

Back