2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

Played my fourth round with the same ball and it still looks new. The price goes down when you get this type of endurance.

My opinion of this golf ball has changed for the better after some usage and practice around the greens and comparisons with the new Project A, Wilson Staff Duo U and the new Bridgestone B330RXS, my favorite golf ball for the last few years. The new Chrome Soft seems pretty solid across the board performance wise. The new B330RXS and Project A appear to have somewhat better iron approach spin, but probably not as significant as I first thought. Distance and feel wise the new Chrome Soft competes quite well with these other golf balls, and the durability appears to be outstanding. Great feel for pitching, chipping and putting imho. Control around the greens seems to be better than the previous version, but might not be quite as good as the new Project A and B330RXS. The greens around here are starting to firm up pretty well so will start getting a much better idea on how the new CS compares to the golf balls mentioned above. I am hoping the new CS is significantly better around the greens than the first version. If the CS even comes close to the B330RXS around the greens, it will be my favorite golf ball all around, with the B330RXS 2nd. I found the Wilson Duo U to be pretty good but didn't like the durability of it and it seemed somewhat shorter than the new CS off the irons and driver.

I definitely appreciate the new CS more as playing conditions improve. It's slightly longer then last years model and certainly holds its line better in the wind. What I'm struggling with is sticking to one ball this year. I feel there are 4 or 5 balls I could play and get similar results which in turn leads me to keep trying new balls because not one ball stands out as a no brainer. The search continues but not because this isn't a very good ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd round with this ball and shot solid 80. Definitely the most spin I have had with a ball around the green that is also lower spin and good distance with driver. Durability also good.

Yes, there are some really good golf balls to choose from. I am developing quite a pile of this year's new models already. Am going to get it narrowed down to just one hopefully.

Played the first 11 holes of my tourney today with new Chrome Soft. The pond claimed it on my approach to #12 and didn't give it back. Up to that point I had used it for 6 rounds, and the durability is quite good. I like the way it feels off the putter. It was quite a bit warmer today (above 65) and performed better in the warmer temps. Checked good around the greens and was great off the driver.

Enjoying this ball more after a full round.

Similar results to before. Not as mushy off driver, slightly higher ball flight, better hold on greens from irons and wedges.

I went in to get a couple clubs re-gripped and couldn't resist picking some up. I'll put these in play tomorrow.

I've been playing the ProV1x lately because I ended up with a few boxes of them late last year and early this year for various reasons. Yesterday though, I took out a Chrome Soft again and realized how much better I like it. When it comes time to replenish the supply, it's going to be an easy choice.

Anyone who hasn't at least tried this ball is making a mistake in my opinion!

Anyone who hasn't at least tried this ball is making a mistake in my opinion!

There are other golf balls I enjoy playing, but the new Chrome Soft∙∙ are incredible.

Put this in play this for the first time today for a dozen or so holes. Overall I really liked what I saw. Off the tee I would still give an edge to the lethal for me but this wasn't bad at all.

I had one approach 180 to the flag it flew 178 and rolled out 1 yard. Flew great with the long irons though short irons seemed a little high with some extra spin. I was struggling to keep the flight down there. Ball was great around the green. I had a few pitch shots stop exactly where I wanted them to. I liked it with the putter. I'm not picky about feel off the putter but I liked the feel and had an easy time controlling pace with it.

Overall I liked it better than the previous version and could definitely see myself playing it. I'll put it in play again Thursday for some more testing.

The pro at the club gave me a short demo sleeve to test out over the weekend. I played 18 holes in 20 mph winds and in cool 50 deg temps. The ball held the line as best as it could, was longer than the 15 and it also stopped quicker. I found this ball to be soft but not overly soft. Putting was true. I had one very bad hole hitting 3 trees and after washing the ball, it looked like new. So, I have changed my mind about Callaway balls and I may pick up a dozen to see if I continue to like this ball.

Last edited:
I realllly want to get a dozen of the yellow Truvis but I am sitting on a horde and if my wife sees me buy balls she might just take 2 from me.

Anyone gamed the yellow/black truvis yet? I'm thinking about picking up a box from Golf Mart.

Anyone gamed the yellow/black truvis yet? I'm thinking about picking up a box from Golf Mart.

Not personally, but guy I got paired with yesterday played it for a few holes. I like the look of it and will be trying them out later this year whenever I run out of my current stock of 2015 Chrome soft.

Played 3 holes with one today. Easy on the eyes, easier to find/see than the red/white ones for me. Not enough data to evaluate how it plays but no negatives after 3 holes.

Played a 9 practice holes with them over the weekend. I liked them quite a bit. I was practicing with 3 truvis balls and a normal yellow CS. Later in the round, the normal one started to look a little boring to my eyes.
Also, they were easier for me to track in the air than the red on white option. The red on white one turns into a grey looking ball to me once it gets going and that makes it harder for me to track down range.

Picked up a dozen of these today at the course, I'm pretty impressed so far. I only played 9 holes with them but they seem like a very solid option. I don't play a whole lot of spin around the green but these didn't roll out too far, and I had a couple of wedge shots check up for me which was nice. Feel off the putter is good, not squishy but not a rock either. Long shots seem to carry about the same as the SS from last year. All in all I'll be playing a few more rounds with them at the minimum (depending on how quickly I lose them)

I am still liking this ball alot. Have been alternating between it and B-330RX and I think the chrome soft is winning. Need to find some yellow/black truvis.

Gamed the Chrome Soft Yellow Truvis the past 2 days and was really amazed with it's performance. I've been hesitant in giving them a try, as I usually game Pro V1X but these really preformed well off the tee, fairway, and around the green. I didn't get quite as much spin with shots into the green but it was close. I can't really complain about that because I shot my lowest score's of the year the past 2 days (matched each day) using the Chrome Soft Truvis yellow.

gonna bump this up because i know a bunch of you had this in play this past weekend at #TheGauntlet. So guys, how did you like it? For those who hadnt played this years version yet, how did you like it compared to last years ball? Is anyone making a permanent switch to this ball?

I played this Ball exclusively this weekend at The Gauntlet. JB told me prior to starting that he thought I would enjoy this ball because he knows my game....and he was right! Great feel across all clubs in the bag. Perfect feel off the putter. Not hard and not soft. The cover was ridiculously durable given how many times we found the desert. Minor scuffs and Knicks nothing major and nothing that made me double think whether I should grab a new ball or not. Greens weren't necessarily receptive so not a hole lot of spin green side for me but on a few short iron shots the ball wasn't too far away from the pitch mark.

Overall just a very consistent ball. Something I am most likely to continue to game

I have had a few previous year chrome softs in play before but nothing really stood out to make me switch. This years ball I think, is a large improvement.

I've played the Chrome soft all of last year and continue to play it.

Such a great ball. Long off the tee, incredible control off the irons a solid spin around the green and the durability is pretty darn good. As long as they make the ball I will continue to play it. It's that good for me.

How are the Chromesoft's for higher handicappers who play a fade? I currently play QStar's but all the raving reviews these are getting, I'm considering giving them a try.

Back