30 for 30: BuckNasty’s Journey to the 2019 Morgan Cup

BuckNasty

2024 THP Fantasy Football Experience w/ Adam Rank
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With the 2019 Morgan Cup less than 80 days away, I figured it would be best to start a thread that allowed the members of THP to follow along the MC journey that will transform both my body and golf game, and ensure that both are in optimal shape for the best golf experience/weekend of my life. Below I will lay out my body/golf prep goals, and over the course of the next few months I will keep you updated on my progress towards achieving those goals.

Body Transformation Goals

Weight (as of Jan 1) – 250 pounds
MC Goal Weight – 215 Pounds

Height (as of Jan 1) – 5’11”
MC Goal Height – as much as I would love to grow to 6’3”, unfortunately my height will not be changing from 5’11”

The weight loss goal is aggressive considering I have less than 3 months to accomplish it, however I know with hard work and discipline it can be done. My approach to the weight loss will include changes to my daily diet (I will be following Tim Ferris’ slow-carb method, a diet I have had success with in the past), as well as an increase in my daily physical activity. During a typical week I plan on weight training for 3 days, playing basketball 1-2 days, and incorporating some form of yoga ~2 days a week to help with flexibility and core strength (the DDP Yoga thread has peaked my interest). Through diet and exercise I should be able to shed ~45 pounds of “bad” weight, while simultaneously adding ~10 pounds of “good” weight (muscle). I will provide updates periodically with how my body is transforming and tracking towards my MC goal weight.

Golf Transformation Goals

USGA Handicap Index (as of Jan 1) – 19.6
MC Goal Handicap Index – 19.6 (I’m currently outside of my handicap season and it will not start again until after the MC, so this number will not be changing.)

My golf game transformation success will be a bit tougher to measure considering the fact that I am outside of my area’s handicap season and I will only be able to get in a few rounds prior to the MC. In terms of actual course work, I do plan on getting a round in with a Team HACKERS teammate during a trip to Arizona in the beginning of March, and also hope to tee it up for a 1-2 other rounds with Team HACKERS teammates in early/mid March (Northeast weather-dependent rounds). However, since my time on an actual course will be limited, I plan on supplementing that with weekly time in the simulator and putting/chipping drills at home. My goal will be to spend 2-3 hours a week at my local simulator where I will be working on building a consistent swing with the assistance of trackman video and data analysis (with my likely transition to OL it should be a bit easier to get the swing into a groove - :fingers-crossed:) , and also getting in at least 1 round per week of sim golf. In addition to the work on the simulator, I plan on working through putting drills (using my PuttOut and mat) 2-3 nights a week to ensure I am comfortable with my putting stroke and have confidence in my feel for pace. I’m also hopeful that the weather will be decent enough in March to work on my short game once/twice a week at a local course that has a top-notch short game area.

If I’m able to meet those goals and play a few rounds on actual golf courses, I feel that my golf game will be well prepared for the challenges it will face at the Morgan Cup.

The Morgan Cup has provided me with the ultimate form of motivation, and I look forward to seeing how my body and golf game transform over the next ~3 months. I will update you guys as often as I can throughout this journey, and I cannot wait to bring you along for the MC ride at Haig Point.

You got this bud!

#BucknastyBody

Best of luck. Go get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in your weight loss progress. I'm finding it near impossible right now to drop weight. Only effect method for me is to eat an unrealistic deficit in calories. And even then, progress is super slow.

Good luck on the prep work.

Yeah let's go Buck!!!

Great goals and good luck you got this!

BuckNasty, You are da man and you got a fan/follower.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Good Luck! It goes quickly so enjoy the ride!

Goodluck with the weight loss. I find that when you are motivated it is easy to workout.
Try to enjoy every minute of the MC you are in for a treat it is an amazing event.

I got a good chuckle out of "Goal Height," causing an inquisitive look from my assistant.

I'm working on my on body transformation, so I love the goal. Get after it, man!

Following along, put the work in and you got this!

Lol @ goal height

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm interested in your weight loss progress. I'm finding it near impossible right now to drop weight. Only effect method for me is to eat an unrealistic deficit in calories. And even then, progress is super slow.

Good luck on the prep work.
I had best result while doing keto (similar to his plan, I think.. I do some looking into it), didn't even really need a calorie deficit, but I was also lifting heavy 5-6 days a week with a little easy cardio some days.. it was great eating lean beef burgers, bacon, steak, etc with spinach broccoli etc but when I carb loaded oh boy was it bad lol

Enjoy man and like i said if you need anything or have any questions lmk!!

Starting my own annual weight loss journey so good luck man

Great idea to do a thread like this, looking forward to following along.

You got this BUCK!!!

Hey Buck btw, you can drop your handicap with those rounds in Arizona. Year round season down here. Unless we want to practice alt shot or some other format, that might be fun.

I don't know much about anything, but that sounds like an aggressive weight loss target. Get lighter, but don't overdo it!

You've got a northern NJ buddy here if we get some decent weekends and you want to get out and play.

I don't know much about anything, but that sounds like an aggressive weight loss target. Get lighter, but don't overdo it!

You've got a northern NJ buddy here if we get some decent weekends and you want to get out and play.

It’s aggressive, but I based on some historical data I had from last year when I began a weight loss journey from an even higher starting point. I dropped 65 pounds in 3 months without really overdoing anything or taking any extreme measures. My body just likes to add and lose weight rapidly haha.

If we got some decent weather I’m definitely down for some rounds! I don’t mind playing in high 50s or so, 30s/40s is probably my cut-off point haha.

Great OP and thread. You got this buddy!

Hey Buck btw, you can drop your handicap with those rounds in Arizona. Year round season down here. Unless we want to practice alt shot or some other format, that might be fun.

Yep forgot about that part. Also not a bad idea to try out some shamble/alt-shot format while I’m out there to see how’d we do score-wise.

It’s aggressive, but I based on some historical data I had from last year when I began a weight loss journey from an even higher starting point. I dropped 65 pounds in 3 months without really overdoing anything or taking any extreme measures. My body just likes to add and lose weight rapidly haha.

If we got some decent weather I’m definitely down for some rounds! I don’t mind playing in high 50s or so, 30s/40s is probably my cut-off point haha.

Our bodies are all different..I just didn't want you to take on something that would have a deleterious effect on you.

My cutoff for wearing shorts is mid-40s so we're good!

I had best result while doing keto (similar to his plan, I think.. I do some looking into it), didn't even really need a calorie deficit, but I was also lifting heavy 5-6 days a week with a little easy cardio some days.. it was great eating lean beef burgers, bacon, steak, etc with spinach broccoli etc but when I carb loaded oh boy was it bad lol

I followed this plan of eating for about 6-7 months late last year/early this year and it was my most successful plan for weight loss/maintaining my goal weight that I’ve tried over the years. Pretty much consists of Protein (lean meat,eggs, etc) and veggies for 6 days a week and then 1 cheat day a week that allowed me to satisfy any cravings. Carbs are my weakness, so it’s good to have a plan that pretty much eliminates them for 6 days of the week and let’s me indulge for 1.

I followed this plan of eating for about 6-7 months late last year/early this year and it was my most successful plan for weight loss/maintaining my goal weight that I’ve tried over the years. Pretty much consists of Protein (lean meat,eggs, etc) and veggies for 6 days a week and then 1 cheat day a week that allowed me to satisfy any cravings. Carbs are my weakness, so it’s good to have a plan that pretty much eliminates them for 6 days of the week and let’s me indulge for 1.

Dude, I'm from the Midwest where carbs are in everything. It is so hard to cut them out. Especially when planning meals for the family. The kids don't want to go on a keto diet with Dad.

I am only looking to drop 15 lbs or so. So, nothing too crazy.

You've got a solid end goal, which is a huge motivator to stay on track.

With the 2019 Morgan Cup less than 80 days away, I figured it would be best to start a thread that allowed the members of THP to follow along the MC journey that will transform both my body and golf game, and ensure that both are in optimal shape for the best golf experience/weekend of my life. Below I will lay out my body/golf prep goals, and over the course of the next few months I will keep you updated on my progress towards achieving those goals.

Body Transformation Goals

Weight (as of Jan 1) – 250 pounds
MC Goal Weight – 215 Pounds

Height (as of Jan 1) – 5’11”
MC Goal Height – as much as I would love to grow to 6’3”, unfortunately my height will not be changing from 5’11”

The weight loss goal is aggressive considering I have less than 3 months to accomplish it, however I know with hard work and discipline it can be done. My approach to the weight loss will include changes to my daily diet (I will be following Tim Ferris’ slow-carb method, a diet I have had success with in the past), as well as an increase in my daily physical activity. During a typical week I plan on weight training for 3 days, playing basketball 1-2 days, and incorporating some form of yoga ~2 days a week to help with flexibility and core strength (the DDP Yoga thread has peaked my interest). Through diet and exercise I should be able to shed ~45 pounds of “bad” weight, while simultaneously adding ~10 pounds of “good” weight (muscle). I will provide updates periodically with how my body is transforming and tracking towards my MC goal weight.

Golf Transformation Goals

USGA Handicap Index (as of Jan 1) – 19.6
MC Goal Handicap Index – 19.6 (I’m currently outside of my handicap season and it will not start again until after the MC, so this number will not be changing.)

My golf game transformation success will be a bit tougher to measure considering the fact that I am outside of my area’s handicap season and I will only be able to get in a few rounds prior to the MC. In terms of actual course work, I do plan on getting a round in with a Team HACKERS teammate during a trip to Arizona in the beginning of March, and also hope to tee it up for a 1-2 other rounds with Team HACKERS teammates in early/mid March (Northeast weather-dependent rounds). However, since my time on an actual course will be limited, I plan on supplementing that with weekly time in the simulator and putting/chipping drills at home. My goal will be to spend 2-3 hours a week at my local simulator where I will be working on building a consistent swing with the assistance of trackman video and data analysis (with my likely transition to OL it should be a bit easier to get the swing into a groove - :fingers-crossed:) , and also getting in at least 1 round per week of sim golf. In addition to the work on the simulator, I plan on working through putting drills (using my PuttOut and mat) 2-3 nights a week to ensure I am comfortable with my putting stroke and have confidence in my feel for pace. I’m also hopeful that the weather will be decent enough in March to work on my short game once/twice a week at a local course that has a top-notch short game area.

If I’m able to meet those goals and play a few rounds on actual golf courses, I feel that my golf game will be well prepared for the challenges it will face at the Morgan Cup.

The Morgan Cup has provided me with the ultimate form of motivation, and I look forward to seeing how my body and golf game transform over the next ~3 months. I will update you guys as often as I can throughout this journey, and I cannot wait to bring you along for the MC ride at Haig Point.

I might steal your idea as I am going to be trying to take the same kind of journey.

and I have been doing DDP yoga, it has helped me so much. That is with a fairly fresh S1/L5 fusion. It is hard work and I would get the online version vs buying the videos.

anyways best of luck and if you have any questions about the DDP stuff feel free to ask away.

I might steal your idea as I am going to be trying to take the same kind of journey.

and I have been doing DDP yoga, it has helped me so much. That is with a fairly fresh S1/L5 fusion. It is hard work and I would get the online version vs buying the videos.

anyways best of luck and if you have any questions about the DDP stuff feel free to ask away.

How many days a week do you typically do it? Is it something like P90X or Insanity that needs to be done 4-5 times a week, or could it deliver some results with 1-2 days a week?

Back