Titleist 716 AP1 Irons - THP Review Thread

Thanks for taking the time to give it a read guys, I really appreciate it.

i really liked this review. I think you hit the nail on the head with saying these have a very "Titleist" feel. Ive always felt this way about their offerings yet never found a way to put it in words lol thats the perfect description. This is a nice looking set

Just got done my fitting at a studio today and these were the winner winner chicken dinner.
I so wanted the CF 16's to be the ones but the numbers with these bad boys were too much to ignore. I gained about 20 yds with the 7i from my current gamers and they were still 10 yds longer than CF's for me. Went 6-PW, GW1 + GW2 (47* and 52*) and then got 56* and 60* SM5's. All with TT Dynamic Gold R300 shafts.

i did get fit into the GBB which I know this is the wrong thread, but wow that GBB.
I gained good carry distance but what was most impressive for me was my miss dispersion.
Bad swings still produced playable results. Not optimal, but playable where as my current driver (RBZ Stage 2) would leave me dead in the water.
Can't wait to get out with my new sticks.

Just got done my fitting at a studio today and these were the winner winner chicken dinner.
I so wanted the CF 16's to be the ones but the numbers with these bad boys were too much to ignore. I gained about 20 yds with the 7i from my current gamers and they were still 10 yds longer than CF's for me. Went 6-PW, GW1 + GW2 (47* and 52*) and then got 56* and 60* SM5's. All with TT Dynamic Gold R300 shafts.

i did get fit into the GBB which I know this is the wrong thread, but wow that GBB.
I gained good carry distance but what was most impressive for me was my miss dispersion.
Bad swings still produced playable results. Not optimal, but playable where as my current driver (RBZ Stage 2) would leave me dead in the water.
Can't wait to get out with my new sticks.
Wow, I like the new AP 1 also but this is the 1st time I've heard anyone say it was longer than the cf16. Thanks

Wow, I like the new AP 1 also but this is the 1st time I've heard anyone say it was longer than the cf16. Thanks
Same here, but, this again goes to show what a fitting can do for sure.

Enjoy the new sticks Lemmiwinks!

Same here, but, this again goes to show what a fitting can do for sure.

Enjoy the new sticks Lemmiwinks!

thanks man.
I really wanted it to be the CF's but we just could not find the right shaft combo for me. As soon as he put the R300 in the AP1 I was just like "oh that feels nice". Even the poor swings didn't leave me to far off center.

The fitting really did leave me with a sort of hodgepodge......
GBB driver and 3W (already ordered the driver)
20 and 23* Ping G25 hybrids
6-PW, 47 and 52* GW's AP1's
56 and 60* SM5's

Now...to figure out how to wait 2-4 weeks for the irons and wedges without going looney

Newbie here with a question. I am currently playing the 714 AP1 which I got fitted for when they first came out, but they really have been playing so-so for me. I am looking to get into another set and have been looking at the 716 AP1 but with my past experience I am hesitant. I think part of my problem is the fit (2 up +1 hard step with a R-flex shaft). My typical ball flight is a mid-high to high. I'm playing now to a 13 handicap, but most of that comes from my short game. The distance on my irons is off also because I am hitting these about 10 yards shorter than I have been. My 9 iron is 115, my 7 iron is about 140+, my 5 is about 160. Question to those who have had the 714 AP1, is the feel/distance better with the 716? Will go to another fitter if I decide to get the 716, plus will look at graphite although last time I hit graphite shafts in irons, they felt harsh and sounded kind of hollow.

I was fitted a week ago at EW and ended up wit the AP1 716. Actually, the whole set is Titleist except I went with a Ping Scottsdale Craz-E putter. The bag is a Sun Mountain C-130 gray/yellow to match my Clicgear 3.5 cart. I can't wait for the clubs to get in. Tim

Custom AP1's arrived today.
47°AW is on backorder.
Also shown...56° and 60° SM5 SW and LW.

Can't wait for some 40°+ days to hit the course. Have a heated range a few minutes from the casa so I'll prolly get there one day this week.
So essited.... :nailbiting: .....

b267e31ad69acdc4938814345730efca.jpg

ba82745c19d00e274a35ee3556ac3e87.jpg

189f4d219230c6eccf00381a4e5dd29a.jpg

I have gotten 2 rounds in with my new toys.
I have to say, I love these clubs already.
I'm hitting them about the same distances as my previous set (TaylorMade Burner Super Launch).
Now both rounds have been in the low 40's, so I'm guessing I'll have gained about a club when the temps are 70°+.
The feel on well struck shots is a lot different to the SGI's I was gaming.
Almost every shot on my previous set felt the same, whether it was well struck or not.
These, there's definitely a different feel on shots all across the clubface and on a well struck shot, the feel is very smooth.

Glad you are liking them lemmi. Keep us updated.

I have gotten a dozen or so rounds in with my set and all I can say is wow! The irons are as smooth as butter. The driver and fairway wood are great and the hybrid is way easier to hit than my TM Mid Rescue. Launch high and great distances too. It took a few rounds to learn the new distances and the different wedge setups but now I am really pleased with this set. Tim

Anyone compare these irons with srixon z355? Are the same forgivenes?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

I have gotten 2 rounds in with my new toys.
I have to say, I love these clubs already.
I'm hitting them about the same distances as my previous set (TaylorMade Burner Super Launch).
Now both rounds have been in the low 40's, so I'm guessing I'll have gained about a club when the temps are 70°+.
The feel on well struck shots is a lot different to the SGI's I was gaming.
Almost every shot on my previous set felt the same, whether it was well struck or not.
These, there's definitely a different feel on shots all across the clubface and on a well struck shot, the feel is very smooth.

I'm really interested in your comments. Our handicaps are close (yours is better) Have always wanted to play Titleist irons and now I'm at the point where I think"two of us" can meet. I'm getting better and they are making the club more forgiving. I would be coming from a SGI iron as well (D100). How did you make transition from the different offset on the irons? I wonder if a set on 714's would be a better place to start or if the 716 are just the more forgiving.

I'll take thoughts from the group.

I'm really interested in your comments. Our handicaps are close (yours is better) Have always wanted to play Titleist irons and now I'm at the point where I think"two of us" can meet. I'm getting better and they are making the club more forgiving. I would be coming from a SGI iron as well (D100). How did you make transition from the different offset on the irons? I wonder if a set on 714's would be a better place to start or if the 716 are just the more forgiving.

I'll take thoughts from the group.

I have had the ap1 714's and hit the 716 ap1. To me the 716 is a far superior version and more user friendly.

I hit the AP1's a lot recently and they're the best irons of the new releases I've hit thus far. They looked thinner than the 714 was, yet were more forgiving on mis hits and slightly hotter off the face. I really liked how they performed and if I was looking for a set, would have an easy time buying them.

I must be crazy or my data is wonky as when it comes to performance they're just crazy similar to the 714 in all the testing I did on monitor and course for the review. Other than aesthetics of course.

But, it's the bliss of choices.

Everyone is different obviously but there are other reviews out there that find the 716 a serious upgrade over the 714. I really like both lines, but the forgiveness in the 716 really stuck out for me. Either way, it's a solid GI offering this year.

I must be crazy or my data is wonky as when it comes to performance they're just crazy similar to the 714 in all the testing I did on monitor and course for the review. Other than aesthetics of course.

Jman, did you see that I pulled the trigger on a set of 714's.? I just couldn't pass it up
Thanks for your help. BTW most reviews said the same thing you did. From PluggedInGolf:

"The Titleist 716 AP1 irons have cool new branding and the desired forgiveness they’re historically known for, but at the end of the day, they’re essentially the same AP1 we have seen time and time again. Much like the 716 AP2, the 716 AP1 is a great option if you are just looking to replace a crusty set of 710’s or 712’s, but if your 714 AP1s are good to go, then there’s no need to hurry into the new set."

Oh for sure, all I can go off of is myself and 3 others hitting both models side by side and analyzing the data. They're very good irons, Titleist doesn't make bad irons, but they aren't revolutionary compared to the 714 based on the hours and hours I spent with them.

Jman, did you see that I pulled the trigger on a set of 714's.? I just couldn't pass it up
Thanks for your help. BTW most reviews said the same thing you did. From PluggedInGolf:

"The Titleist 716 AP1 irons have cool new branding and the desired forgiveness they’re historically known for, but at the end of the day, they’re essentially the same AP1 we have seen time and time again. Much like the 716 AP2, the 716 AP1 is a great option if you are just looking to replace a crusty set of 710’s or 712’s, but if your 714 AP1s are good to go, then there’s no need to hurry into the new set."

While out at their HQ, their tour fitter said the same thing to us. That they took a very solid foundation and refreshed it. They like what they have with the AP1 and wont deviate too much. They are solid irons. Not my favorite, but definitely solid in a category right now and that is with a ton of really good options.

From one of the reviews I can across. Again, just shows you how testing and reviews can differ:

A serious distance upgrade. The 716 AP1 irons have thin, unsupported club faces that make them a challenger in the distance category. The addition of 50 percent more tungsten allowed engineers to keep the size of the irons the same, yet make them more forgiving than their predecessors.

From one of the reviews I can across. Again, just shows you how testing and reviews can differ:

A serious distance upgrade. The 716 AP1 irons have thin, unsupported club faces that make them a challenger in the distance category. The addition of 50 percent more tungsten allowed engineers to keep the size of the irons the same, yet make them more forgiving than their predecessors.

Zak is a good writer and a great guy.

They way they review, and the way we do are pretty different, but I enjoy reading them all and always will.

I stand by my findings, the updates are minimal based on what I saw side by side time and again, but sometimes the brain is what matters most.

They're solid irons, no one has said they aren't. There's simply not enough difference from the 714 to get me to jump that way.

Zak is a good writer and a great guy.

They way they review, and the way we do are pretty different, but I enjoy reading them all and always will.

I stand by my findings, the updates are minimal based on what I saw side by side time and again, but sometimes the brain is what matters most.

They're solid irons, no one has said they aren't. There's simply not enough difference from the 714 to get me to jump that way.

I agree that the 716s are not a massive change from the 714s with the biggest change being the looks. However, I can't help but wonder exactly how many yards or how many degrees of launch need to be gained over the predecessor of any release for us to call them a success? Most clubs that I test simply do not outperform their predecessors in any meaningful way from year to year and I've voiced that frustration on the forum in the past.

I agree that the 716s are not a massive change from the 714s with the biggest change being the looks. However, I can't help but wonder exactly how many yards or how many degrees of launch need to be gained over the predecessor of any release for us to call them a success? Most clubs that I test simply do not outperform their predecessors in any meaningful way from year to year and I've voiced that frustration on the forum in the past.

It why I don't ever judge a success by distance gains, or determine a success in general. My job is to just put them through the paces, see if they deliver to their intentions, and draw some comparisons to past iterations in a line like this. Success is always in the eye of the beholder, but IMO data never lies.

Solid solid irons. Not a big leap though IMO. Doesn't mean some like Philly won't, or shouldn't, love them.

Back